AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Planted Tank List

Default Re: Planted Tank List

Swords generally tend to be undemanding, they will grow, but slowly in lower light levels.

are swords low light plant?????
    Yes, swords are usually considered low although a lot of them (Echinodorus 'Rosé', Echinodorus uruguayensis, Echinodorus tenellus, etc) require medium light.

Compacts get good reviews too!
    Thats what we use and we're happy. The intensity is important... ie.

500 1Watt LEDs < 1 500Watt Metal Halide.

They also take up less space.

Registered Member

is it true you can buy light fixtures from like home depot for dirt cheap rather then buying the "fish tank lights" at pet stores

senso

HI all

This is my first post to the forum. Great site thanks to the people.

I am planning a 180g Wild Discus planted tank. The emphasis will be on the fish first and then the plants. I am opting for a 'low tech' alternative - less demanding on light, nutients and overall conditions. My philosophy is also 'everything in moderation, including moderation itself' and so bear this in mind when reading my own experiences. It may not work for you.

From having kept a 75G planted fairly successfully (you set your own standards and base), I have a few suggestions and points of reference for you. I am not an expert by any means but these are my own experiences.

Filtration is key - cannisters have worked well with me as they seem to minimize the loss of CO2.
    Lighting - with a discus tank 2wpg may be sufficient especially if you keep low demanding plants. You need to find your right balance of intensity and duration- fish, CO2, cleaning, temp., ph and KH are all factors. There truly isn't a formula as each tank will have fairly unique parameters considering the variables let alone the inhabitants
    Plants - low tech includes Crypts, Swords and Ferns (Bolbitis and Java). To help with cleaning of the tank attach as much of the plants to the driftwood and do not plant the entire tank but portions only. Plant high so waste accullates in the 'valleys'. This aids the cleaning regimen. Initially one may need to add bunch plants such as Ludwiga to minimize an algae bloom _ beard or green. You can remove them slowly over time and replace with the slower growing plants noted above. Glosso will require more light and is more demanding. Those same conditions help cultivate algae.
    Maintenance - as with cleaning the tank ensure you prune on w weekly basis. It can get out of control.
    CO2 - depends on plants, temps, ph, KH, and temp. If you want a jungle overnight, additional CO2 will get you there. I am saying witin a month, and you will be in the plant sales business. My recommendation would be to try it without initially, if a small tank possibly do the DIY methods, then if deemed essential try the Rolls Roce options. many sites, articles and forums will advise you to 'plants on steroids'. My view this is not a sprint but a amarathon and use months as your gauge for success in growth not days. With high lights 4 to 5 wpg, you will need to supplement CO2, supplement nutrients, etc. It is no different top the regimen you apply to raiding your Discus. If you want maximum growth in the shortest time, feed often (6 times a day) and clean 50% every day. However, this is one philosphy and others have been successful with a lower regime of feedings and water changes. This is based upon the great posts on this forum not personal experiences.
    Clean up crew - SAE are great, until you add and feed the discus then they become pigs of the tank. Ottos (great with green alage and not at all intrusive), dwarf plecos and cardina japonica do a great job of clean up.

Plants add a different dimension to the tank's appearance (rather attractive) and its maintenace (some say you need to clean less), and I understand that most true Discus breeders will consider anything but BB an absolute no-no. But, if you've never eaten oysters how do you know you won't like them.

These are other sights and articles I have found useful

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/articles.htm

discus specific -http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/ah_main/sep1998.html

a pleasure to behold - http://www.adaeuro.com/

something to aspire to http://www.aquariumdesigngroup.com/i...tpage&Itemid=1

On another note - while we are talking of changes to the site, AL once you plant your Altum tank (as promised) can we consider a forum section for planted discus tanks. LOL

Hope this helps

Rossano

I forgot to put this link http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide.php it's not all emcompasing, but it has a broad, searchable, database that you can look through by lighting requirements to get an idea of plants to use.

chago09, almost anything is cheaper outside the pet store if you know where to look. If there is a strip light that fits the dimensions of your tank it is definately cheaper there than at the LFS. My LFS wants $20 for a 10 gallon light hood...I can buy a 4 foot shop light for that price and use it all sorts of ways! The key is just shopping around.

-Russ

Frank, we must have the same tank!! My plantings are 4-7 months old now, doing fine. I used the light that came with the tank, a single 40 wt strip light, and added a double shop light (it sits on the glass top too).

Yes cleaning is a bear, so my "helpers", 9 bristlenose ancistrus, 3 robinae cory cats, are essential to the health of my tank. I do have little ramshorn snails too, came on some of the plants, but they do their part in balancing the tank too. The only algae problem I have is hair algae on the driftwood and some in the hygro. I just pull what I can out at cleaning time. Hope to try Amano shrimp soon.

I run 2 Aquaclear 110s, two 200wt heaters, and until the cat ate the airline, 2 airstones for bubbles. I have a large , branchy driftwood, and some nice rocks, on course sand. Its the sandblast media, like tiny gravel. Under the sand I have a thin layer of Laterite.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Early shot
    Attached Images Attached Images

I got the same but Petsmart gave me another light strip. I would not buy the tank unless it had two light strips. I told them a 75 gallon had two and this is twice the size so I got another one and that light strip holds two bulbs. So my tank will have 2 light strips with (3) 48 inch bulbs

I want a really nice looking planted tank for my discus to retire in. I thought a hang on filter was a no no with planted tanks?

I do have a couple questions though - I have read that people use that fertilizer substrate, can I mix it with sand? or just go with sand? and the other question is how deep does the substrate need to be in inches ?

Thanks for all the info I do have a lot of reading to do and extra bracing in the basement
    Frank

Hanf-on-back filters may be a no no but I have them, I use a prefilter sponge on each, no plants get sucked into the tubes that way.

HOBs are fine as long as it doesn't create a lot of surface turbulance. I keep my water level high though so I haven't had problems.

You can mix sand with the substrate, but you can't undo it. I find that having sand mixed in helps make it easier for me to plant. They say sand will compact over time, but if you gravel vac it won't be a problem. Sand helps with the cost too...

-Russ

Quote Originally Posted by hexed
    I got the same but Petsmart gave me another light strip. I would not buy the tank unless it had two light strips. I told them a 75 gallon had two and this is twice the size so I got another one and that light strip holds two bulbs. So my tank will have 2 light strips with (3) 48 inch bulbs

I want a really nice looking planted tank for my discus to retire in. I thought a hang on filter was a no no with planted tanks?

I do have a couple questions though - I have read that people use that fertilizer substrate, can I mix it with sand? or just go with sand? and the other question is how deep does the substrate need to be in inches ?

Thanks for all the info I do have a lot of reading to do and extra bracing in the basement
    Frank
    Q: 2 strips with 3 48" Bulbs? So 6x40W or 3X40W?
    If it is 3x40W plants are going to live for a little while and die 1.3W/gallon is nothing you need it 2-2.5W/gallon even for low-light/low-tech. I would return them and get http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=209 if you are serious about plants (you will have to replace the bulbs, get them on ebay for a few bucks).
    If it is 6x40W you will be a lot better off and right at the point between low-light and med-light.
    Some people will say depth doesnt make a difference, between ~30" to 18" its not like we are talking about a 5 ft deep tank here. Personally i like Metal Hallide/Power compacts in deep tanks, good reflectors will make a big difference too.

Stay with canisters but watch the fish to make sure there is enough O2 in there for them. A little surface aggitation is fine, if you are not adding CO2 you can have all the surface aggitation you want.

Pass on the sand IME it sinks to the bottom and becomes compacted, I just re-did my 65gal because of this. Ended up with 2" of compacted sand and mulum that was like concrete and plants suffered greatly, espically root-feeders.

Stay with fine gravel 1-2mm, use root tabs to minimize cost and headaches, and since it is your first planted tank. You can always go with something else 2yrs or more down the road once you finally have a grasp on the hobby. Or go with a 100% Flourite substrate but be ready to spend over $100 on gravel. Gravel is a lot easier to clean not having to worry about a fine layer of laterlite or some other substrate under the gravel.
    Root tabs for ferts on your root feeders.

Anaubias, java ferns, bolbitis, and lace java ferns can be tied to wood and would look really nice.
    The amazon swords will get huge, you can add some color with some red-ruben swords, or crypts, or tiger lotus. They will all do well in the 2.5W/gallon area.
    Last edited by Dissident; 01-22-2006 at 02:44 PM.
    110gal High-Tech Planted Discus
    65gal Malawi Community
    55gal BBB Discus Grow-Out
    55gal BBB Discus

Odyssea
    48" 260W (65Wx4) Aquarium Power Compact Light
    Dimension: 47 1/2" X 8" X 2 3/4"
    Aquarium power compact fixture for fresh and saltwater aquarium use.
    Sleek Aluminium Housing in black finish.
    High quality light reflector.
    2x Bulti-in fans
    3x ON/OFF power switches.
    Plus Free items as follow:
    2x 65w Straight pins 12000K Daylight PC Bulb.
    2x 65W Straight pins Actinic 03 PC Bulb.
    1x Acrylic lens.
    1pr Flip-able light Stands/legs.
    4x Add on Blue Moon Lunar LED

Is this a good one? Exactly what is Actinic bulbs? Do I need tham? Also will this be enough light to reach the bottom of the 150 gallon tank, it is 31 inches deep? Sorry about all the questions but if I am going to buy a whole different lighting system I want to be sure I am getting the right one

Frank

Boy, that sounds like a nice fixture, but I don't know if the actinics are good for freshwater and discus. Buy me one and I'll try it out for ya!!!{Big Grin}
    where is this fixture at and how much?

I found it on ebay for 99.99 plus 19.95 to ship

you dont want atinic bulbs that is for growing corals.
    See if they will sub the bulbs for you, 6700K-10000K for plants.

PCs with good reflectors will be fine for your depth of a tank.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ODYSSEA-48-260W-...QQcmdZViewItem
    You will have to replace all 4 bulbs
    They are streight pin (....) bulbs, they are easier to come by than the square pin bulbs (:, figure ~$50-80 in replacement bulbs. ~$30-50 if you go all 10,000K, 6700K are a little more rare and cost a bit more.
    Last edited by Dissident; 01-23-2006 at 12:27 AM.
    110gal High-Tech Planted Discus
    65gal Malawi Community
    55gal BBB Discus Grow-Out
    55gal BBB Discus

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast