AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Can Marimo (moss) balls cause algae?

Default Can Marimo (moss) balls cause algae?

I've read that they can out compete algae but then I read that they are a special kind of algae! The reason I ask is that sometimes (ok for most of my moss balls) they broke up into pieces. Now I've got an algae growing that looks a lot like the kind the moss balls are made of. Especially around my anubias and anubia roots. Is it possible for that type of algae to grow all over or is it just another type of algae entirely?

Here's a part of what I've found on Moss balls:

"Cladophora aegagropila

Sometimes called Lake Balls or Marimo Balls, these fascinating little guys are not really plants at all, but spheres of dark green algae (yup  even algae can be decorative!). They are normally found in shallow lakes, where the movement of the waves forms them into perfect spheres, and there they happily roll back and forth filtering nutrients from the water. Due to the action of photosynthesis, they rise to the surface during the day and sink back down at night. The Japanese government have actually designated them as a special national treasure and given them legal protection from harvesting.

In the tank they must be turned regularly to keep them in shape, but if you prefer they can instead be allowed to spread out and form a lush green carpet over the bottom. This looks especially lovely covering river rocks.
    Kept in a spherical shape however, there are very few plants to rival this one for structural impact or interest in the aquarium. Best of all, despite their exotic appearance they are incredibly undemanding and easy to grow. "

Tina

Default Re: Can Marimo (moss) balls cause algae?

Tina, if they have broken up a you say then what you may be seeing is them starting to form the carpet on your substrate. It would make sense that they gather around the base of plants, at least I've always noticed mulm etc gathers around the plants!. I don't believe it will do any harm letting it grow provided it is not growing over your plants.
    hth,
    Paul.

It's not all on the bottom of the tank though, I have a "plant wall" going and it's growing on that too (but originally the anubias on it was on the floor of the aquarium, so when I made it I could have moved it up)?

OK, I've got to ask since I've seen it on several posts, what does "HTH" mean? Everytime I see it the first thing that comes to mind is "Hole in The Head" LOL (which is how I feel at times).

Tina

hey Tina!
    I have never seen the moss balls go crazy like that. If it is the moss ball stuff, you should be able to pull it off the walls and roll it up right? We have some that have broken up to, but if you roll it back and forth it will ball up and stay that way.

lol... hth hope that helps

Candy
    Candy

Ohhhh, "Hope that helps" well that's a lot better than "Hole in the head" LOL! I wonder if there are other types of algae that is that color green too? (but it looks just like the ball stuff) I should try to wad it up and see if it stays that way. I even have floating islands of the stuff in my tank! (like little floating pancakes instead of balls) jeesh, didn't know this stuff would turn out like that!

Tina

Take it all out and squeeze it, then wad it back up and taaaadaaaa... you have a big ball of moss again.

Let us know how it comes out
    Candy

Registered Member

Marimo moss balls actually get their round shape from the currents in the water. If they start to lose their shape, take them in your palm and roll it around when you do a water change. The algae growing on your anubias isn't from the moss balls, they are their own type of algae. I get them on my anubias too sometimes.