AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 55 Gallon Lid - Suggestions?

Registered Member

Default 55 Gallon Lid - Suggestions?

I got a good deal on a used 55 gallon, I noticed there were some chips in the glass but I wasn't worried because this wasn't going to be much of a show tank, just a community discus tank to try and find pairs. I made sure to clean it out, made sure it held water, it did so I got it up and running. The discus are in there and everything is fine. My dilemma is this: When I was examining the tank before I bought it I overlooked one thing that I guess usually isn't on the top of list of things to watch out for. I got the tank home, started setting it up, debated on how I planned on lighting the tank when I realized that the cross bar in the center of the tank was missing. Lighting I got figured out no problem, I hung a flourescent fixture above it (I have found a very inexpensive way to light a 48" tank if anyone is interested, total: $10 ). So I thought I would be good, but now I'm noticing that there is a pretty fast evaporation rate (especially with 2 sponge filters in there) and I'm worried about the humidity problem. I'll have to deal with the humidity on a large scale soon, but I'd like to try and keep some of that water being expelled by the air bubbles in the tank and off the floors and wall (not noticebly happening, but I know it's there). Any suggestions for lids? It looks like the crossbar was ripped out so there is a lip around most of the tank but nothing but sharp edges in the middle. I don't really want to get a 48" glass lid. I was just wondering if anyone had anything similar and/or had creative solutions to a lid that would still allow light into the tank. Can that frame be replaced? I'm sure if that's possible, that'd probably be my best option.

Default Re: 55 Gallon Lid - Suggestions?

Home Depot sells Acrylic Sheets of all sizes and colors. They also cut them to a size you specify. I'd measure the exact dimensions for a sheet covering the tank, then have them cut it in half the long way.

Then look for a plastic channel that you can fit the two sheets in at the joint, and you have a custom cover.

Registered Member

That sounds like a really good idea, I'll have to look into that

Registered Member Greg Richardson's Avatar

If u go the acrylic route make sure it's thick so it doesn't bow.
    Heat will do that.

HD around here stopped selling glass sheets. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!
    http://www.atthegateministries.org/index.html

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Richardson
    If u go the acrylic route make sure it's thick so it doesn't bow.
    Heat will do that.

HD around here stopped selling glass sheets. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!
    Thanks Greg, hopefully my HD still does although I am afraid if yours stopped mine may have too, I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'll have to go check it out, I sense an expensive HD run for plumbing and wood for stands for a little breeding wall setup

On the chance that I am not able to get acrylic does anyone else have any suggestions?

Just a thought, but isn't that crossbar needed to maintain the integrity of the tank? Won't the glass bow outward without it?
    Debbie G.
    planted 150 gal Discus, planted 10 gal cherry shrimp tank, 29 gal. rasbora and danio tank, 29 gal Praecox rainbow planted tank and an empty 29.Hmmmm!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by wolfbane
    Just a thought, but isn't that crossbar needed to maintain the integrity of the tank? Won't the glass bow outward without it?
    I didn't think about that aspect but that does make sense... Anyone have the answer for that? That'd be kind of a rude awakening...

Can that frame be replaced?

You can get a new frame for the tank at THATFISHPLACE.com
    They are $17.99 i believe ............. or you can make a brace with plexiglass.

Also for what you'll spend on a piece of acrylic ......... you can buy a glass top for it. They are only about $20! Acrylic isnt that cheap and the stuff at HD is plexiglass and will turn yellow.

A cheaper solution for a top would be to use a sheet of the plastic florescent lighting lens (the kind that goes in drop cielings) and cut it to size. You can get a 2' x 4' sheet of it for a few bucks.

I saw a DIY artricle on using that the other day .... i'll try to find it.
    Last edited by CAGE-RATTLER; 02-01-2006 at 03:45 AM.

Registered Member

Thanks for finding that for me I hadn't ever seen frame replacements so I didn't think that it was possible. Has anyone ever replaced the frame of a tank? Do I adhere it with some aquarium sealant? Is the old frame sealed on? Things that I should be paying attention to - tips?

Also thanks for the info on the price of acrylic. I knew that I could go glass I was just concerned with the fact that it had to be a 48" piece, I know the make them I just seem to remember that they aren't cheap. With a new frame though I can eliminate that problem and just got with two 24" pieces which are much cheaper I'm figuring.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusStudent
    Thanks for finding that for me I hadn't ever seen frame replacements so I didn't think that it was possible. Has anyone ever replaced the frame of a tank? Do I adhere it with some aquarium sealant? Is the old frame sealed on? Things that I should be paying attention to - tips?

Also thanks for the info on the price of acrylic. I knew that I could go glass I was just concerned with the fact that it had to be a 48" piece, I know the make them I just seem to remember that they aren't cheap. With a new frame though I can eliminate that problem and just got with two 24" pieces which are much cheaper I'm figuring.

Actually the $20 price i gave for the glass top was for the 2 x 24 inch ones.

Not sure about a 48 inch long one cause any tank longer than 36 has braces i believe.

Heres the link for the cheap cover.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...ank_covers.php

Registered Member

If you really want to go cheap, or if you just want a temporary cover while you order, or find a nice glass one, just use saran wrap. For a 55, you'll need two sheets, and some scotch tape. It's a bit of a pain with cling wrap, so I used sticky wrap.

It will keep your water and fish in, and let the light through.

Registered Member

Thanks, that may be a good temporary solution, as long as I leave an outlet for the air, don't need a 55 gallon balloon

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusStudent

Replacing the top frame is easy. Pull the old frame off (start at one small end, pull straight up). Clean the glass of any old sealant and test fit the new top frame. Place new silicone (use aquarium silicone only) in the channel of the top frame and place it on top of the glass. When you have the complete frame seated, push down on the top frame to seal it. Turn the aquarium over so it rests level on the new top frame, let cure for at least 24 hours.
    22 Planted Tanks My Projects are located at ThePlantedTank.net*Sliding Glass Top*CO2 Reactor*Portable UV Sterilizer*PVC CO2 Manifold*Water Filtration/Storage/Distribution*37G, 46G & 55G Drilled w/PVC Heater/Reactor Manifold*110G Sumped w/Eheim 2215s & Magnum HOTs*My Fish Room*

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by diablocanine
    Replacing the top frame is easy. Pull the old frame off (start at one small end, pull straight up). Clean the glass of any old sealant and test fit the new top frame. Place new silicone (use aquarium silicone only) in the channel of the top frame and place it on top of the glass. When you have the complete frame seated, push down on the top frame to seal it. Turn the aquarium over so it rests level on the new top frame, let cure for at least 24 hours.
    Great! Thanks diablo! I was figuring it would be that easy I just needed to hear it from someone who had done it before. I think this will be my best option versus trying to retrofit something. I'm getting about tired of getting scratched up on the broken edges while doing water changes anyways. Thanks everyone who helped out. Thanks again Cage for finding a replacement frame for me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast