ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Increasing RO Unit Output

Question Increasing RO Unit Output

I am currently using a 110 GPD RO Unit. After passing the three pre-filters the water runs through the membrane housing.

I am thinking now, that if I would attach an additional membrane to the waste line of the first one, I could reduce the amount of total waste water I am currently getting.

Would this actually work, or would I get 100% waste water out of the second membrane, since it already went through the first one?

Default Re: Increasing RO Unit Output

Provided you have adequate pressure that will work fine.

Paul.

Registered Member

Smile Re: Increasing RO Unit Output

I have two membranes hook up like this the only thing is to use only one flow restrictor. you will need to flush the membranes more often but my ro works fine.

Registered Member

I was just wondering if you hook the second one up does it have to match the first one ? Or can you go different one?

Examples : 75 gal and a 100 gal ---or 75 gal and a 75 gal.
    Brian

Real Name
    Jim

Why not just piggy back the two membranes? That way you'd have better pressure and produce less waste. Can't imagine you'd get a lot of production out of the second membrane off the waste line, especially if you're not putting a second flow restrictor - then again... not sure a second restrictor would be good for the first one cause you'd have a lot of backpressure on the wrong side of it You can pick up the little "legs" to piggy back two membranes rather inexpensively.. that's the way I'd go (in fact... I did )

Both membranes don't have to be the same flow rating, but they should each have the correct flow restrictor for their rating

hth
    Jim
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Go ahead and connect the two via the waste line with one restrictor. This is called over restricting and will damage membranes over time if not flushed properly. You will get better product/Waste ratio, you just need to be more aware of proper maintenance procedures.

If connected in this fashion, both your membranes will have the same line pressure.

The problem you've got there is more than likely pressure related. That "110" GPD membrane is probably rated at 65 PSI. When Water temps cool off, the membrane becomes even less efficient. This equals horrible production.

Check your Water line pressure and temp and report back, I'd be interested to know.

HTH,
    RandalB

Quote Originally Posted by BIGFOOT
    I was just wondering if you hook the second one up does it have to match the first one ? Or can you go different one?

Examples : 75 gal and a 100 gal ---or 75 gal and a 75 gal.
    You can go any size membrane you want. I'd stick to the 75's personally (More Efficient than the 100's)

RandalB

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by RandalB
    You can go any size membrane you want. I'd stick to the 75's personally (More Efficient than the 100's)

RandalB

That is the one i got butt was considering add a second to it.
    Brian

Registered Member

I think you have to use the flow restrictor for the bigger of the two membranes when your membranes don't match.

Quote Originally Posted by dishpanhands
    I think you have to use the flow restrictor for the bigger of the two membranes when your membranes don't match.
    It doesn't actually matter. You are over restricting in either case...

RandalB