AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 new tanks setup!

Smile Re: 3 new tanks setup!

Quote Originally Posted by loverboy
    Jarrod - way to go! I see that the stands are not being utilized fully(there're still space between tanks)....maybe more tanks soon? :-)

I'm also curious as to how you'll start the bio going as Cage asked, b4 the fish arrive?

Have fun regardless!

Kenny
    Kenny ohhhhh you can bet I'll get another tank or 2..as for the cycle I'm gonna run in the AM to get more biospira...grrrr I hare bein brain dead some days!
    Jarrod
    Discus an ADDICTION but at least a legal one with no KNOWN cure! 2 -55 gal 1 -29 gal 1-25 gal 6 Sunshines,2 Candy Apple Reds,4 Scribbled Reds,4 White Diamonds

Default Re: 3 new tanks setup!

I'd wait till your ready to put the fish in before adding more bio spira.

Also i think it was said before to get your ammonia levels up to 5 ppm each day (only once per day) to do the fishless cycle. Then once you get to the point that it will go down to zero in a 24 hour period ..... your fully cycled and then should drain the tank and refill.

Not sure if you read that or not

The faster you can get those tanks cycled the better. The ammonia and nitrites are far more toxic than the nitrates will be once cycled.

Its a bit stressful when worrying about the newly bought fish and waiting for the tank to fully cycle.

And my fish were given to me ..... lol.
    Last edited by CAGE-RATTLER; 02-15-2006 at 06:20 PM.

Post Re: 3 new tanks setup!

Quote Originally Posted by CAGE-RATTLER
    I'd wait till your ready to put the fish in before adding more bio spira.

Also i think it was said before to get your ammonia levels up to 5 ppm each day (only once per day) to do the fishless cycle. Then once you get to the point that it will go down to zero in a 24 hour period ..... your fully cycled and then should drain the tank and refill.

Not sure if you read that or not

The faster you can get those tanks cycled the better. The ammonia and nitrites are far more toxic than the nitrates will be once cycled.

Its a bit stressful when worrying about the newly bought fish and waiting for the tank to fully cycle.

And my fish were given to me ..... lol.
    Cage...I can't remember seeing any 5 ppm figure anyplace..I went back and reread the posts and I still didn't see it...I guess all I can really do is check my water params again tonite and hope for best till I can get into town tomorrow and get more bio..only good thing I got goin for me I guess is the fact they won't be here till friday via fedex...so I got a bit of time to work it out I hope...typical me tho always riding the ragged edge of disaster!!
    Thanks!!
    Jarrod
    Discus an ADDICTION but at least a legal one with no KNOWN cure! 2 -55 gal 1 -29 gal 1-25 gal 6 Sunshines,2 Candy Apple Reds,4 Scribbled Reds,4 White Diamonds

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showt...fishless+cycle

Add enough to get the ammonia readings on a test kit to 5 ppm. Then keep it there by testing daily until nitrite readings start coming up and ammonia starts going down. When nitrite comes down to 0, good to go. Keep bacteria alive by feeding flakes or ammonia until fish are due to arrive, then do a 90% wc before adding fish.

hth
    Ardan

Lotsa good info in those threads

Registered Member

This is what i ended up doing.

Do you have a milliter dropper? Like the one you get from Seachem in their fertilizers.

Next it took 25 mililiter to get a 75 gal to 4 ppms. I went to 4 ppm because my test kit jump from 4 to 8. Then every 24 hours i put back in 15 militers. Then all you got to do is test to ammonia and nitrite, nitrate.

I just wanted to say thanks to you guys for the information on cycling fishless tanks. I hate to admit it but I have kept tropical fish for around 45yrs and never new how to cycle a fishless tank. I mean atleast with amonia. I have not been having any luck with breeding my discus. So I put them all in a bigger tank together to let them pair off by themselves. This information really helps me with the empty 3 tanks I have now and how to keep them going. I guess one thing that I have learned from this site is that it is very important to take ones time. Now I will have time to set my small fish room up right. Iam planning on building the racks for my four tanks tomorrow. Am in the process of painting one tank now that I have had empty. This will allow me to rotate to the other tanks and get them all painted. Like I said with all my fish in one tank it will give me a chance to do things right. My problem is I have always been to impatient and to excited to take my time. This always makes one end up doing more work than if he would have slowed down and taken it easy. It just goes to show you that no matter how long you have been around you still can learn alot. Thanks again for this great forum. Jim

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by stiver james
    I just wanted to say thanks to you guys for the information on cycling fishless tanks. I hate to admit it but I have kept tropical fish for around 45yrs and never new how to cycle a fishless tank. I mean atleast with amonia. I have not been having any luck with breeding my discus. So I put them all in a bigger tank together to let them pair off by themselves. This information really helps me with the empty 3 tanks I have now and how to keep them going. I guess one thing that I have learned from this site is that it is very important to take ones time. Now I will have time to set my small fish room up right. Iam planning on building the racks for my four tanks tomorrow. Am in the process of painting one tank now that I have had empty. This will allow me to rotate to the other tanks and get them all painted. Like I said with all my fish in one tank it will give me a chance to do things right. My problem is I have always been to impatient and to excited to take my time. This always makes one end up doing more work than if he would have slowed down and taken it easy. It just goes to show you that no matter how long you have been around you still can learn alot. Thanks again for this great forum. Jim

It cool man check this out. I have been in the hobby of aquariums for 17 years(not discus related). I have read every book i could afford to buy. Sounds good does it . And i thought i had most of it figured out. Then i bought a computer and jump on sites like this one and others. And these boys and girls just blew me away with some of the stuff i never thought was possible. Like the fishless cycle untill i got on Simple i didnt even know what a fishless cylce was. Then i started to read what people where wrighting about it. So i thought i would give a try to see if they were right. I am happy to say they were right and now i have a new weapon when comes to this hobby...THANKS SIMPLY KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12