AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Questions Before Buying Heckels

Registered Member

Default Questions Before Buying Heckels

Just visited a local lfs which is selling loads of heckels (2.5"-3"), blue-faced heckels (4") and green (4"). The fish certainly look healthy and active and the shop owner fed FBW right infront of my eyes to prove this. I've spoken to the shop owner and would like experts in wilds here for advice and comments:

(1) According to the lfs, their wilds are imported directly from the Amazon to a farm in Malaysia - to deworm and quarantine etc before being imported to the shop here in S'pore. The owner claimed that buyers need not quarantine the fish, but need to slowly adjust the fish to the tank water parameters i.e. ph and temp. by introducing portions of tank water over intervals. There shouldn't be any problem there after. Is this statement trustworthy? The reason i asked is because i do not have an extra tank for quarantine at the moment. I thought heckels are supposedly the most sensitive and hardest to rear amongst the discus?

(2) Wild heckels are more hardy in terms of water para requirements then tank-bred. Just ensure that they are not subject to sudden water change and they do well even in temp of low 80s. They would, however, require blackish water extract to do well (some elements present in blackish water is good for them).

(3) Importation (?) or Demand (?) in wild discus is seasonal? The shop owner claimed the current batch of 50 heckels in the shop right now will be the last before they bring in another in August. Their next batch of wilds are the Blue Discus this coming weekend.

The sight of these wilds really caught my attention and drooling. I've a 5" turq living alone in my 48g planted as i've taken off the PB pair into a separate breeding tank cos the pair has been spawning weekly in the planted tank.

Thanks in advance,
    Rob

Registered Member

Default Re: Questions Before Buying Heckels

I have 4 wild heckels, they always seemed to be fragile to me. It seemed like they will only come out for feedings and then back to their snoby corner of the tank. Never had trouble with any of my other wilds just those. They come from warmer water with a lower ph. I am finding it hard to put size on them no matter what i do, have heard this from others also. Lots of other wild and domestic breeds out there.
    Last edited by corey hinz; 03-03-2006 at 03:18 AM.

Registered Member

Had 4 wild heckels that is.

Robo,

I would never introduce any fish into any of my tanks without quarantining it first. You have no idea what the lfs water and system may contain in terms of pathogens etc. They may well be very concientious and do a very good job in terms of their qt but your system is different to theirs.

You say you tokk the PB's off into another tank? How important is their breeding to you? You could put them back into the main tank and use that tank as a qt tank. Just a thought.

I would try for water conditions around ph under 7, soft and stable. Temp should be around 86f or 30C. I wouldn't add extracts as such unless its the only way to get the ph down.

hth,
    Paul.

Registered Member

Dear Paul,
    Thanks for taking time to answer my queries. Yes, i think you are right to have new fish quarantine - better safe than sorry. How long do you reckon i should quarantine heckels which are abt 3" or smaller? What should i look out for specifically in heckels of this size? That's a good suggestion you've given by putting back the PBs. However, i'm also a little hesitant to do this as i do not like the idea of transfering them from tank to tank. BTW, the pair is getting used to their new environment i think as they are seen dancing about these couple of days - they should be preparing to spawn soon..it's been 3 weeks since they last spawn

Rob

Rob,

Its always a difficult call moving fish aroud as it does stress them. Still in my opinion if you want to put some new fish n your tank you need to qt them first so a tank has to be found from somewhere.

I wouldn't treat heckels significantly different than any other discus wild or otherwise. I would ask the lfs about his water parameters and get as near as I can to them in the qt tank to start with. Once the fish are in the qt I'd leave them be for a day with no lights on and preferably in as quiet an area as possible. Then I'd do a 25%water change with the water that I want them to acclimate to. I'd offer them a small amount of food too at this time, probably be bloodworm (frozen or freeze dried not live). I'd remove uneaten food after half an hour. I'd feed them once more on the 2nd day.

From then on feeding should be at the rate you wish, so probably 3 or 4 times a day with 3" fish, mixed diet.

I'd look for signs of illness and stress, if they darken or stay dark after the first four days I'd suspect worms or similar and do a precautionary de-worm on them. I would do 2x daily 25% w/c for the first five to seven days then do 50% daily unless a med routine precluded w/cs. I'd qt for minimum 4 weeks.

If the ls has done a good job then that would be all I would plan on doing, however with wilds you have to take care with external as well as intrnal parasites. Some time in the second week a PP treatment would be an option, again depends on how confident you are with the supplier.

Your lfs is correct in that wilds can be seasonal. Maybe waiting until August will allow you to acquire another tank for qt and allow you to get setup with equipment and knowledge. Just a thought, but I do understand the temptation!

All the best and good luck if you decide to take the plunge!
    Paul.

Registered Member Ramon Anastacio's Avatar

I have been keeping wilds for the past few years - mostly blues, some greens and a few heckels. I kept the heckels in tap water for a while but found that they looked and acted their best when I used reconstituted Reverse Osmosis water to achieve a pH of 6.0 to 6.5 and a conductivity of around 60 microsiemens. I don't think you need blackwater extract. If you have the discus in your tank and you do decide to lower the ph, do it slowly, they will not tolerate rapid drops in pH and hardness.

Heckels are neat but they are not my favorite wild discus because I find that they are a little more finicky about water parameters.

Registered Member

Hi Paul,
    Really appreciate your advice. Well i think i should be able to withhold the temptation and meanwhile, like you said, make some planning and preparation for aquisition in August!

Cheers,
    Rob

Rob,

Sounds like a good decision, look forward to the pics when you get them.

Paul.

Registered Member

Sure will, Paul... Glad to have you guys around in SD...truly discus lovers lol..

Rob