ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: suggestions on heat/air units for fishroom

Registered Member

Default suggestions on heat/air units for fishroom

I need to purchase a heat/air unit to mount thru the wall of my soon to be fishroom. It will need to cool about 250 sq. ft. and I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for. Anybody found the good deals on these units?

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: suggestions on heat/air units for fishroom

Do you mean an air exchanger?

Why would you need to cool your fishroom? I would think you would need to heat it, especially during the winters.
    Anthony I. Mazeroll, Ph.D., Prof. of Biology, Soka University of America, Aliso Viejo, CA
    http://www.soka.edu/page.cfm?p=289&start=1

Check with Lowes. I think that is where Andrew got ours. It wasn't that expensive.

Ichthyology, it gets really hot and humid in Oklahoma in the summer time.

Registered Member

It sounds like you need a unit like they use in hotel rooms. If you have any contacts in that industry I would try them. Otherwise any hvac contractor can help you out.

Registered Member

No I'm talking about an air conditioning. I want to cool the room because when it's 105 outside I don't want my water to be 90 and I don't want to sweat my a@# off when I change water.

Registered Member

105 is a cool breeze here! Summer temps in Phoenix area run 115 to 120 1st week of June to last week of Sept.

Luckily, it is so dry that swamp coolers work really well even in our most humid months (which happen to be the same as the hottest months, uggh).

When I turned my carport into the fishroom in Tn, the builder put in a unit that will heat or cool the large room...it's the same type you see in motels everywhere, don't know the name cuz I'm not there yet...hope it does the job, lol, Dottie

I lived for 10 years in the Amarillo, TX area. I found that even when temps reached 105 outside that my fish room would never get above 90 and the water stayed around 86....... My problems were always the winter cold...

I would try a window unit. The only problem is that they can really suck up the elctricity.
    Anthony I. Mazeroll, Ph.D., Prof. of Biology, Soka University of America, Aliso Viejo, CA
    http://www.soka.edu/page.cfm?p=289&start=1

Registered Member

I ended up buying a 7800 btu cooling/4100 heating btu through the wall unit which is supposed to cool up to 350 sq. ft, which is more than I have so it should be sufficient. I'm sure it will suck the juice so I'll only run it in extreme conditions to save money. Or when I'm doing a water change so I don't suffer. The unit cost $400 and $150 more to install it since I'm not very handy.

Quote Originally Posted by 1977
    I ended up buying a 7800 btu cooling/4100 heating btu through the wall unit which is supposed to cool up to 350 sq. ft, which is more than I have so it should be sufficient. I'm sure it will suck the juice so I'll only run it in extreme conditions to save money. Or when I'm doing a water change so I don't suffer. The unit cost $400 and $150 more to install it since I'm not very handy.

if you can do what you are doing (building the wall, running the outlets) you can put in a window unit!

Registered Member

I didn't do the plumbing or electrical and I just didn't feel comfortable cutting a hole in the side of my home(chicken!)

If you decide to drill your tanks(makes life easier lol) bring your tanks over and drill them at our house. Andrew has the bit (or whatever it is called) to drill them. He can show you how to do it.