AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: sump journal sorta

Default Re: sump journal sorta

Quote Originally Posted by venki25
    Truly a masterpiece for filtration. All minor details have been covered.
    Thanks....DC
    22 Planted Tanks My Projects are located at ThePlantedTank.net*Sliding Glass Top*CO2 Reactor*Portable UV Sterilizer*PVC CO2 Manifold*Water Filtration/Storage/Distribution*37G, 46G & 55G Drilled w/PVC Heater/Reactor Manifold*110G Sumped w/Eheim 2215s & Magnum HOTs*My Fish Room*

I don't believe you can ever have too large of a sump.If you are using CO2 an over sized wet/dry can make keeping Co2 at optimal levels hard but the advantages out weigh the problems of maintaining high Co2 levels worth it it The oversized wet/dry filter and sump really help maintain very good water quality and I don't have any problems growing plants. I use a lot of Najas guadelupensis which grows so fast that nitrate levels are barely detectable and with regular harvesting I am exporting nutrients. I still hold to frequent water changes in the system. I have 4 T-5 48inch NO T-5 tubes so I barely have about 2 watts per gallon for lights but it seems enought for Echinodorus and Crypts as well as the Najas to grow and reproduce so that the plants seem to be getting enough light to make do with the available CO2. The tank is a 75 gal std plus 30 extra gallons in the sump.
    Last edited by Apistomaster; 08-19-2006 at 11:31 AM.

Cannot have too much water can you? Still wanna know what kind of Apistos you have? I just became acquanted with them, think they have awesome behaviors. I still want more Heckels, get me some.....DC
    22 Planted Tanks My Projects are located at ThePlantedTank.net*Sliding Glass Top*CO2 Reactor*Portable UV Sterilizer*PVC CO2 Manifold*Water Filtration/Storage/Distribution*37G, 46G & 55G Drilled w/PVC Heater/Reactor Manifold*110G Sumped w/Eheim 2215s & Magnum HOTs*My Fish Room*

Major modifications to the tank/filtration, you can follow here....DC
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/eq...erin-away.html

Oh man......

This seems like one long journey to get to sump-ville.

Now it ALL CHANGED AGAIN...... lmao

Toys for boys lmao

I'm designing a log home tonight. . its easier than a bloody sump system lol.

Registered Member

OMG..SWEET TANK...nuff said.i wish i had the room for a tank that size.i just got a 75 gallon and will be setting it up once my dad builds me a stand (my little piggies need a bigger house )i have a marineland magmun 350 and a hot mag 250 on it right now.didnt know that charcoal takes out the needed elements..guess thats gonna fly when its due for next filter servicing.I got everything else i need for the tank cept a stand and with seeing your tank im itching to get this up and going.

i am SO glad i found this site/forum for discus.

Registered Member

We are in the process of setting up a 210 and it came with two wet/dry filters, and I was bummed at the thought of having too much gas exchange for a planted tank. I would love to see the photos from this thread, but all I see are ? where the photos were. Is everyone having this problem, or is it just me? I was wondering if the photos had expired or are deleted. Could you send me the instructions w/photos privately?

I really want to get what I can from this thread, it's exactly what I've been looking for!

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Becky

I see the photos...

Default Re: Sump for a Planted Discus Tank Tips

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What does the CO2 do for the tank or the fish?
    I'm new at this.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Sump for a Planted Discus Tank Tips

Quote Originally Posted by jhamil View Post
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What does the CO2 do for the tank or the fish?
    I'm new at this.
    co2 is for the plants. that is pretty much the extent of co2 as i know it but it's a little bit more complicated than that . i'm new to this planted thing as well but there should be some great threads on the use of it here or in other plant forums.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

How does your return line attach to the bottom of the tank? Is it glued? I am working on a sump design and I am trying to determine if I need to use tape or consider gluing some parts.

I have my test set up in my driveway. After the the tank has been sitting for a while the durso seems to be leaking, drip by drip, into the sump. After a good long time, almost 24hrs the sump starts to overflow. I am concerned about a pwer outage and having the sump overflow. Do I need tape where the durso slides into the drain? Should I glue my pvc into the bulkhead bottom? at least a short amount? Like you I do have the sump directly below plumbing. I have a soft plumbed return. How many gph is required for 90gallon discus tank with a 30gallong sump?

Registered Member

I'm trying to set up a 20 gallon sump for my 75... My tank is at 84. All the pumps that I've seen that I want to use for my return pump say that Max. Operation Temp is like 78 or something. Help! giant HOB's are so unattractive in a biotope!

Excellent write up. Very informational!

Registered Member

Ive looked through your posts and could find if you sell Discus? If any of your Discus happen to spawn and have fry I'd be interested in just buying some juveniles. I live in Kokomo and there's only one pet store here that sells them and they are way overpriced. Also if you know of anyone else near Kokomo, IN. that sells Discus can you give me their info.i also know 2 other pet store owners that are looking for local Discus suppliers.

Registered Member

I understand this post is 13 years old but is there any way to see the pictures that were included in the OP?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast