AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Black around the edges of some SE's.

Default Black around the edges of some SE's.

Some of my SE's have black edges on their dorsal and anal fins. It looks like a very thin border or outline along the edge of the fins and ray tips. Also the ventral fins are black and blue instead of the usual red and blue. Does anyone know if this is a sign that there's some pigeon genes in their background or some other strain that showes this trait?

Kcey

Default Re: Black around the edges of some SE's.

hi Kcey

the term SE is sometimes/usually associated with wayne ng's fish. if your's are from wayne, i dont think there is any pb in them, LSS's mostly...but that is just my understanding. mario would know for sure, maybe somebody else?

oh yeah, forgot

my segc's all have clear tales, no outlines per se. anal and dorsal fins have colors, striations, spots, but no outlines

where did you get your se's, how old are they kace?

Hi Timbo,
    Pigeons can be used for many reasons, such as to improve shape or in the case of GLSS to enhance the base color. These guys have beautiful markings and clear fins just like my other SE's, it's only the very edges that are black, except for the ventral fins which have black where they'd normaly be red. A couple of these have a higher body form than my first SE's also. I know sometimes when peope say a discus has pigeon genes it's meant almost as a negative but thats not what I meant. These are very nice high quality fish.
    Thanks,

Kacey
    Last edited by kaceyo; 03-24-2006 at 03:52 PM.

Kacey none of mine have any of those markings, tails and fins are clear or have red/blue colors as an outline.

Did you get all your fish cleaned up and heathly again?

Hi George,
    These guy are the only ones I've ever seen with the black edging and ventrals. It's really kind of a cool look. The fins are all clear where they should be, have beautiful red and blue highlights as they should, and are turning into very nice SE's. I just thought someone might have seen it before and knew about it's origin.
    They are still healthier than they've ever been, thanks. Now I'm starting to pay more attention to their appearence and just enjoying watching them grow. I'm almost scared to finaly stop giving them any meds, lol. Especialy after "curing" them twice before, only to have them relapse as soon as the meds stopped. They are about 4" +/- and are aprox 7 monhs old. My homegrown SE x RSG cross are the same age and about an inch bigger.
    Next time I post pics I'll put these guys in now that they're looking so much better. How are your spotteds from Frank doing?

Kacey