AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Almond leaves

Default Almond leaves

Has anyone used those almond leaves I see on eBay and AquaBid?

If so, I wonder if putting them in a cannister would work.

Newt
    newtcity.com/yabbse/index.php (a forum for everything...adults)

themudpond.com/forum/index.php (a koi and ponding forum)

Default Re: Almond leaves

Here's a link to some. And no, I don't sell them...thinking of using them like blackwater tonic or peat.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Almond-Leaves-fo...QQcmdZViewItem

Newt

Newt,
    You don't need any of that sort of thing. Discus do not need acidic water. They do just fine at pH 7.8 or 8.2 or up to 9.0. You would just be wasting your $$ for nothing or worse case, something that will stress your fish to death.

If you really feel the need to do something to your water, try peat filtering. You can get a 25 Lb Bag of Peat from Home Depot for $6.00

RandalB

Hmmm. With all due respect, what you're telling me goes against what most everyone else is. I understand that people have different opinions and results, but I'd always heard that discus, especially wilds, loved more acidic, soft water and did better in it. I bought all the stuff with this in mind and now am hearing that it's not needed? I'm confused now.

I'm using some peat in my cannister, but that little amount doesn't do much if anything. Again, I thought discus liked that stuff, and wondered if the leaves were an even better way to go than peat. Trust me, I'm not trying to make more work than I need, but I 'do' have the time so if I can do anything to make things 'perfect,' I'm perfectly willing to do so.

Thanks, Randal...I appreciate the time you guys are spending helping me out here.

Newt

Well, Feel Free to believe what you want Newt. It's a free country and a forum meant for discussion.

I say what I've experienced not what I've heard or read. I was good buddies with a major importer of wilds here in Chicago for quite a while and I know for a fact he never once used RO water or Peat. I also kept wilds for several years myself with no RO. I can post pictures of 'em if need be. Wilds in my experience were stronger more healthy fish than any of the domestic bred strains I kept no matter what the water conditions.

If we were still going by most of the main stream information out there, our fish would all be dead or at least sick. There is so much conflict it's absurd.

I'd strongly suggest talking to Al Sabetta (Brewmaster 15) about wilds before you implement your tank. He's a big importer and knows tons about this subject.

RandalB

Didn't mean a bit of disrespect by my thoughts, Randal...totally appreciate your input. Of course, what the other people told me, all members here, I guess was based on their experiences, too...everyone has different results, I guess. I did post and ask before I spent my money on an RO unit, and the replies I got seemed to agree that I needed one. I have nothing to go on but what people share with me on here. Again, I appreciate everyone's help!

I do have a PM in to Al, to see what he has in stock and hopefully I can pick his brain, too.

Peace, sir...I'm learnin' here.

Newt

Don't get me wrong Newt, I'm not getting PO'd or anything, Just firing off my experience.

As someone who has manufactured RO units for 15 years and in the future will again, I've told more people they didn't need a unit than I ever sold. IME, 75% of the people keeping discus out there didn't need one. In your case, since you are targeting a planted display tank not a breeding program, I'll bet $$ you won't need it at all to keep wilds. I'll go one further, if you try it w/o RO and have problems, I'll give you a free replacement membrane for your RO unit.

Excellent idea to pick Al's brains. He's one of the best out there.

No peace needed bro, we ain't at war here...
    RandalB