AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 'dH' measurement

Default 'dH' measurement

OK, another 'dumb' question...lots to learn here. When I check my GH or KH with my handy drop kit, what does it mean when it takes, say, '30 drops to change color...is that 3dH? Sounds logical to me, but making sure here.

Thanks once again!

Newt
    newtcity.com/yabbse/index.php (a forum for everything...adults)

themudpond.com/forum/index.php (a koi and ponding forum)

Registered Member

Default Re: 'dH' measurement

I have the TetraTest kit and thats how it is for mine the number of drops = the dH. Or it also says you can use double the reccomended water amount (10ml instead of 5) and then every drop counts for 1/2dH. Oh and 1dH is equal to 17.9 ppm.

Registered Member

30 drops would mean 30 dH not 3 dH. This is fairly hard water which squares with your TDS readings.

Quote Originally Posted by MayorNewton
    OK, another 'dumb' question...lots to learn here. When I check my GH or KH with my handy drop kit, what does it mean when it takes, say, '30 drops to change color...is that 3dH? Sounds logical to me, but making sure here.

Thanks once again!

Newt
    I learned to look down into the tube from the top with the cap off, helps notice the color change easier. Check your instructions carefully, different kits convert measurements different ways. Are you sure it took 30 drops? Using my kit you would have 30 dGH or 537 ppm which would make me pitch the kit and get a new one if I was checking my water, I believe that is off the scale hard water. What kind of kit (manufacturer) are you using.
    22 Planted Tanks My Projects are located at ThePlantedTank.net*Sliding Glass Top*CO2 Reactor*Portable UV Sterilizer*PVC CO2 Manifold*Water Filtration/Storage/Distribution*37G, 46G & 55G Drilled w/PVC Heater/Reactor Manifold*110G Sumped w/Eheim 2215s & Magnum HOTs*My Fish Room*

Oops! I meant 3, not 30! And that was just an 'example,' not my reading. I got 20GH and 11KH when I tested. I was just wondering what each 'drop' worked out to, and my question's answered! Thanks, all!

Newt
    newtcity.com/yabbse/index.php (a forum for everything...adults)

themudpond.com/forum/index.php (a koi and ponding forum)