ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Bushynose Pleco Facts

Registered Member Greg Richardson's Avatar

Default Re: Bushynose Pleco Facts

The amount that do latch on is so small to just not use them because of that imo is not worth the benefits they provide.

From my experience it doesn't need to be night time if they are going to do it. As soon as you see it happen remove the one who does and let your others continue to benefit your maintence and your discus.
    http://www.atthegateministries.org/index.html

Real Name
    Discus Hans

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyDiscus View Post
    Ya they can latch on. small protion though. Hans if you have BN albinos for sale I am a buyer. Plz let me know. I burn my light 24/7 so there is no night time BN feedings. Ed

Ed. we are building up a stock and growing them at the moment, I only sell some to pick up customers,

Hans
    I've changed the Discus World.
    Visit our online store at: www.discusfishstore.com
    All advice I give, is because I've good results with it, you're free to copy it. It's not a rule, it's just my way. Ohhhh and don't take me serious, I'm most of the time kidding

Well then,,, That would be a good reason to come and visit you then. My guess is your around an hour or so away. Let me know what times work for you.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by dexchung View Post
    how do we quarantine these Plecos. Can these plecos withstand treatment of formalin to rid them of external parasites like Discus?

any insights based on experiences
    you can treat them with formalin,...bushynose are fairly hardy, I used to keep them in my discus tanks til i caught them feeding on the discus, one to many times..

Registered Member

so-just how many of us have them in the discus tank? and if a person got a 1/2 dozen-how long should he quarantine them?

Registered Member

My young bushynoses love cucumber slices, too...

Registered Member

I know this is an old thread but I have had a couple in my 6x2x2 with 8 juvenile discus in and they have laid eggs already on my sword leaves and I saw a few babies swimming along the bottom. Only about 3-4 mm in length but swimming like crazy agaist the current of my filter. Its not that strong but fo them it is!

My questions are:

Why remove the parents?
    Also are the babies safe in a community tank or will the Discus eat them given they love live blackworm and bloodworm?

Also they have not laid in a cave just in plain sight on a sword leaf but in a high flow area so the babies will get blown all over the tank bottom and probably into my canister to be lost for ever lol!

ANy help?

Thanks

Grant

Registered Member

Oh in my old tank when new I had an algie outbreak so I was advised to purchase a couple of sailfin plecos! Well as I have just seen and persoanlly experienced YES they do attack discus! I lost 3 adult fish to my 6-7 inch sailfins! All at night and they went into a bucket (was tempted to out them another place!) and straight to the LFS!!!

NOT HAPPY! Why do LFS shops say yeah these fish are just fine for is beyond me? We go to them for advice and repeat business and this is what we get. Even a warning would be good. So now I have to deal with this again as I have 2 breeding Bristlenose right now..hmmm what to do? ANy advice? They have a done a great job of cleaning up the algie in my new tank mind you.. I have 8 juvenile discus in a 6x2x2 along with the bristlenose and 6 cories and will have about 20 tetra in a week.

Thx

I have 5 BNP.

I bought them when the were 0.5-1" in size.

The largest is now slightly over 2" and the rest ~1.5".

Do males/females grow at different rates?

Or is this just the normal variation in fish growth?

- Stew
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/album.php?albumid=94

Registered Member

Is the Albino just as good as the regular BN? as far as getting algae on wall.

Absolutely. Bristlenose catfishes (there are several species, and it's difficult to tell them apart) are excellent for clearing glass and other aquarium surfaces of several types of algae, diatoms, and that slimy stuff (bioslime) that we need to wipe off aquarium glass so often. Great worker fish.

My tactic, since I do like to see my discus eggs hatch into fry, etc., is to keep only very small ancistrus in with the breeders; juvenile ancistrus in with varying sizes of fry; and the adult ancistrus in breeding tanks without discus (who will happily eat tiny ancistry fry.) That way, everybody's happy.

They need some driftwood in the tank to gnaw on for their digestive processes, and they are very well fed on an occasional slice of zuchinni, a raw pea with the skin slipped, algae wafers, etc. The adults certainly will eat fish eggs, and are at least partially carnivorous.

Good luck with them. I raise axelrodi types of red discus, and find the ancistrus to be a real helper. If anyone needs some, I have both ancistrus and discus available.
    Best fishes,
    Mary Sweeney
    http://www.amazonasmagazine.com
    mary.sweeney@reef2rainforest.com

Registered Member

I love the Albino BN, especially in a planted tank with lots of driftwood.

Registered Member diamond_discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mrylln View Post
    Absolutely. Bristlenose catfishes (there are several species, and it's difficult to tell them apart) are excellent for clearing glass and other aquarium surfaces of several types of algae, diatoms, and that slimy stuff (bioslime) that we need to wipe off aquarium glass so often. Great worker fish.

My tactic, since I do like to see my discus eggs hatch into fry, etc., is to keep only very small ancistrus in with the breeders; juvenile ancistrus in with varying sizes of fry; and the adult ancistrus in breeding tanks without discus (who will happily eat tiny ancistry fry.) That way, everybody's happy.

They need some driftwood in the tank to gnaw on for their digestive processes, and they are very well fed on an occasional slice of zuchinni, a raw pea with the skin slipped, algae wafers, etc. The adults certainly will eat fish eggs, and are at least partially carnivorous.

Good luck with them. I raise axelrodi types of red discus, and find the ancistrus to be a real helper. If anyone needs some, I have both ancistrus and discus available.
    My ABN actually will eat some beefheart mix .. or whatever is left at the bottom. I don't feed them any special food or vegetables.

I recently brought a dozen half inches and try to grow them out .. I only feed them colorbits and they are growing out very nicely.

My question is, do they really need to eat vegetables ?

Registered Member

Ours eats beef heart as well. We give them algae wafers, and cucumber as a treat.

My BN eat whatever they can manage to get of the discus food, along with the slime and diatom algea they "clean" off the surfaces. I don't have any driftwood either. When I bred them I did feed algea wafers and kept driftwod for them as I wanted them to be in good condition for breeding and raising fry.

Kacey

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast