AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Help! gill problem

Registered Member

Question Help! gill problem

Bought a 6 inch red dragon shipped overnight and have him in qt, breathing hard and gill filament is hanging out from gill plate on one side and has white strands. My water numbers are fine, and have plenty of air.
    Is this a bacterial infection ?. I have been treating with melafix for three days.
    Fish is eating well. Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Help! gill problem

It could be bacterial, also could have received some ammonia burns during shipping.
    If the melafix is not working, you may want to try furan 2. follow the directions.

hth
    Ardan

Registered Member

Thumbs up Re: Help! gill problem

Never would have thought about amonia burn, although there was some waste in the bag when i got it. Is there treatment for this. Fish seems to be breathing better today, will use melafix for a week and then try furan if things don't improve.
    Appreciate the info. Ardan.

there treatment for this.
    Salt helps, melafix works, if it gets bad, then it may have become bacterial and then is when to use furan 2

hth
    Ardan

Registered Member

I have been using salt with the melafix, breathing is improving almost normal today,day five of treatment, looks like the gill with the white strands that was hanging out from the plate is also starting to receed.
    I was going to treat for 7 days like the directions said, should I go longer until gill is back to normal,how long to wait until change to furan if it doesn't get back to normal.

If you are makeing progress with salt and melafix, continure until all healed/normal.
    Only use furan 2 if the problem gets worse instead of better.

hth
    Ardan