ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Omega One flakes?

Default Re: Omega One flakes?

In the case of Omega, when they use skins, those are the more highly concentrated in contaminants.
    They refuse to divulge the amount of "whole fresh fish" involved, compared to the scraps.

HOWEVER, there are companies that use whole product. NLS is one.
    You can get information from them even telling which fish mill (it is a USA factory) grinds their WHOLE herring.

For Omega to say they don't do the same process in making slurry and drying it is misleading. And this misleading seems to be a signature tune.
    Dave
    Last edited by raglanroad; 04-08-2006 at 11:28 AM.

Hi Dave,
    I am not doubting anything you have said here as I have on several occassions tried to contact the fish food manaufactures and draw them into discussions on this forum from everything to dyes and nutrition... and Most have been very vague in even replying to me.....so I have no doubt that there is far more about the fish foods content that we don't know..then do know.,,Its frustrating to be sure.

I have even gone so far as to do my own comparisons , predominantly with NLS and Ocean nutrition pellets...nothing scientific...just observations....anyhow...currently using both.

Question for you?

In the case of Omega, when they use skins, those are the more highly concentrated in contaminants.
    They refuse to divulge the amount of "whole fresh fish" involved, compared to the scraps
    exactly what contaminants are you refering to? Most toxins are stored in the fats and dark meat areas in the fish as far as I know...

-al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 04-09-2006 at 06:49 AM.

Hi Al
    I think I was looking at the subject from the view of the food fish cuttings as the "skins" having fatty tisue attached, and from the view of actual skin tissue analysis.

From the view of a fish cutter, in salmon, for instance, they cut away two strips of fatty tisuue from the belly, where they slit the fish open. This slab of fat is not sent to the store. And the fat under the skin also is removed to some extent.
    So the high fat content in trimmings from larger fish would make these trimmings higher in contaminants.

Add to this that livers are amongst the highest in contaminants, and these parts don't sound like prime food.

From the tissue analysis viewpoint, the actual skin minus the fat is also said to be one of the higher rated parts. In this link , though it isn't a science paper, it seems accepted that skin is high in contaminants such as PCBs.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/...warning15.html

"readings were from fillets that did not contain the skin, where much of the contamination is found"

Dave
    Last edited by raglanroad; 04-10-2006 at 12:37 AM.

Do what you want.
    I will never feed Omega junk to my fish again.
    No questions. End of story.

Willie Goh

I originally fed ONLY Omega One products to my discus and they loved them.
    Well, we all know discus are pigs when it comes to eating.

When a very successful breeder tells me something, I listen. And when I purchased my Mandarin Passions from Willie and Jack, I was told that Omega One was good for "carp and bluegill."

I switched to OSI, Tetrabits and Hikari Frozen Foods. I wont ever feed anything else. Why take a chance on the health of such a beautiful and expensive investment as your discus????

I have to wonder if the bacterial infections that took 2 of my discus was able to take them easier because of bad food?
    Marilyn

I was actually thinking about trying the flakes for the first time the other day. my lfs just started carrying omega products, I recently purchased the super vegie kelp pellets in an attempt to diversify my discus eating habits, i don't have any complaints about this product yet though. Also for the record its insane to think that a company would use fresh fillets for manufacturing fish food. My family has been involved in the comercial fishing industy for a very long time, also being a cook in atlantic canada you see alot of seafood in that Line of work. trust me if they are using salmon or cod it's deffinatley scraps, as for herring maybe, but it's definatley not a boneless fillet they are using, the price for these products is to high to use anything more than hot dog meat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12