ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fluvial FX5

Registered Member

Default Re: Fluvial FX5

Yeah, I actually just found out about the media capacity thing today. I didn't think to check about the media capacity before, since I didn't think it was that much different. I was shocked to read that the 2260 could hold 18 liters of media. I've never seen one in person, only in magazines, so I would imagine that it would be huge! However, since you already have the fX5, I don't think it would such a huge deal to keep it. If it works fine, I see no reason why you would need to switch it out.

It's too bad about the price thing. Here in the U.S., the eheim classic 2260 goes for about $250 - $300, which is about the same price as the new FX5. I hear that people in Australia and New Zealand pay an even higher premium for their eheim filters. I wonder why that is...
    Dudley Pajela
    40 gallon Heavily Planted Discus Tank
    4 Wild Green Discus

Banned

Question Re: Fluvial FX5

I also try to check out for filter perfomance and comparaison on the web. I did not find anything but like it is always I remember having found this kind of information by inadvertance a couple of weeks ago. I search again but no result at all. Do you known where I can find a link to compare all the filters at once?

Banned

Ok,
    I can't post everything in a picture but I found out a way to post a small part of my picts. Here is the picture of the air syphon built in the cover. Note that the air syphon tube is very tiny so not much of pre filter water by sponge is send back with filtered water. Also this explain why this unit is having a 3 stages sponge filter before you start to filter via your favorite madia. I think It's all part of the same concept.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned

Here is a schema of the process
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AmazonRainbows; 04-08-2006 at 10:24 PM.

Banned

Hello Dood,

I have some new facts about the FX5. I was wondering why the 2260 has a so big capacity compared to the FX5. Well, reading carefully on the FX5 box here is an important info:

Filtration Volume: 20L, 5.28 US Gallons.
    Mechanical area (Foam) 229sq yards, 210 000 mm2

So now, regarding the capacity there are almost event
    The pump is doing 925 Gal/Hour when is free and 607Gal/Hour full load. FX5 will give me something between 4~6 time tank volume filtration depending on how it's load.

I guess where getting closer now Event better I'm still thinking the volume filtration does not include the mechanical area. So it will be event bigger.

Banned

Question Re: Fluvial FX5

Dood,

Do you have the time to take a look at the air purging system? What do you think about this new desing?

Is the FX5 is starting to be appealling to you?

Registered Member

I was also having problems with the differences in media volumes since both the FX5 and the 2260 basically had the same exterior canister dimensions. I checked up on it myself, and yes, the FX5 has a media capacity of 20L total. The media baskets are supposed to hold 5.9 litres of media, and the sponges take up the rest of the space on the outsides.

Based on the information I have collected, here are my conclusions about the FX5 and the 2260:

*** Design ***********************************************

With regards to design, I still stand by my assertion that companies today add all the bells and whistles to their products to cover up bad design. Being a software engineer, I'm a big fan of solutions that feature a simple yet effective design. The air purging system of the FX5 is a pretty ingenious way of purging air from the system, but the overall design of the canister leaves me scratching my head. Eheim's classic canisters are, in my opinion, still the best designed canisters ever. The design is simple AND effective. The water flows into the canister from the bottom, passes through all the media, and exits at the top. Because of the unidirectional flow of water in the canister, water flows in the same direction that air goes when submerged. Thus, no air is ever trapped in the canister.

Also, because of the unidirectional flow of water, filtration efficiency is acheived. There is no chance of media bypass. Further, the design maximizes the use of the pump. When empty, the eheim pump on the canister is rated at 2400 l/h. When full of media, the canister moves 1900 l/h, which is about 80% of the actual pump rating. The FX5 by comparison is rated at 3500 l/h when empty, and 2300 l/h when full, which is about 65% of the actual pump rating. The reason for the huge drop off is due to the fact that the water in the FX5 canister does not flow in a single direction. Because water is pushed through the sponges and then pulled through the media baskets, the water flow is diminished. Again, a simple yet effective design means that eheim does more for less. An interesting aside - because the 2260 uses a standard water pump, you can replace it with a higher rated pump from any other vendor. You can, in theory, effectively double the water flow of the canister this way.

*** Media and media capacity ********************************

With regards to media capacity, there are pros and cons to the designs of the FX5 and the 2260. Because of the media baskets, the FX5 is easier to maintain. This is a big plus, since the huge amounts of media would be a pain to clean out and replace. The downside to the media baskets is that there is much less room for customizability. With the 2260, you can stuff it with whatever media you want. If you want to go all mechanical, stuff it full of filter floss. Or, if going the biological route, stuff it full of plastic bio-balls, or lava rock, etc. You can use any combination with any ratio. It's much harder to do this with media baskets.

*** Features and Accessories *********************************

The FX5 wins hands down (due in part because it is a new filter). It has built in disconnects, which is a must for any canister filter. The disconnects are sold separately on the 2260, when they should really come standard. Both filters feature a blow off valve thing at the bottom, which allows users to empty their canisters before moving them (since they are pretty heavy).

*** Reliability *********************************************

Eheim wins hands down. The classic line was introduced over 20 years ago, and the reputation that eheim has earned in that time is well deserved. With people reporting decades of use out of their classics, the 2260 is a proven canister that has a long operational lifecycle. The FX5 is a newer filter, so it's dependablity can't be gauged at this time.

*** Price *************************************************

Depends on the region, but typically, eheims are more expensive.

In the end, my conclusions are:

Overall, I believe that the eheim 2260 is the better filter overall. However, the FX5 is a close second, and looks to be a very effective filter as well.

- If money is no option, then the eheim 2260 is the canister to own. Overall, the customizable media chamber and the interchangeable pump head makes for a very powerful and effective canister.

- If on a budget, then the FX5 is an excellent filter for the price.
    Dudley Pajela
    40 gallon Heavily Planted Discus Tank
    4 Wild Green Discus

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Dood Lee
    It's too bad about the price thing. Here in the U.S., the eheim classic 2260 goes for about $250 - $300, which is about the same price as the new FX5. I hear that people in Australia and New Zealand pay an even higher premium for their eheim filters. I wonder why that is...
    Import Fees and Taxes ... pays for all the "free" social benefits received by the citizenry

Jim
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Banned

Thumbs down Re: Fluvial FX5

Cosmo,

Here broker fee is a rip off (they make a rules of thumb. They took 50% of the declared price) and I'm totaly wash out when I look at my pay check. When I go in the midle range they took 54% so I get the rest. More then that, when I buy whit the remaining 46% they taxes the taxe!!! I think whe are the only place in the world where they taxe the total amount already raise by a first taxe. And that's just the point of and Iceberg. I could fill a full page...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123