ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: tankmates?

Default tankmates?

ok i have some fish i like but would like to know if they are compatible.

african knifefish
    black ghost knifefish
    african butterflyfish
    south american leaf fish
    and angelfish (i know you say no becasue of disease and aggrsive at feeding time but these guys are nickel size at the least)
    "learn from what you live, live from what you learn"

Default Re: tankmates?

Quote Originally Posted by diskboy
    ok i have some fish i like but would like to know if they are compatible.

african knifefish
    black ghost knifefish
    african butterflyfish
    south american leaf fish
    and angelfish (i know you say no becasue of disease and aggrsive at feeding time but these guys are nickel size at the least)
    Kevin,

knifefish require shade and some where to shelter and can be difficult but work well with discus provided you provide for their needs. They are a moderately difficult fish to keep.

butterfly fish are very, very difficult to keep and you will need a cover on your aquarium, they can and do jump! they need live food like insects to eat.

leaf fish are very aggressive and I would strongly recommend not to keep them.

angels, well they are a nice easy fish to keep and provided they are thouroughly qt'd can be kept with discus, care MUST be taken at feeding time to make sure the discsu get their share of the food.

ALL new fish will need to be properly QT'd before being put in with any existing fish.

hth,
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

i have lots of hidding spots and a "dark side" of my tank i only have one bulb as the discus get scared when i have two. and i hav crickets for the butterfly fish with a well fitted lid. so could i have some angels a knifefish and a buttefly fish in the discus tank?

Registered Member

i would say go for it but make sure the discus get their fair share and watch how the angels react with the discus..maybe hope for a bigger tank in the future to..but i would say give it a shot as long as u keep proper maintinence and do plenty of water changes

got 4 angels today....qarentining them now...i also got 4 red eyed tetras are these safe with discus or do thy do to mich fin biting?

red eyed tetra's are fine with discus. Take a little time getting them used to the temps in a discus tank and they will do well. They will get to about 2 1/2 " with the proper care and live between 4 and 5 years. Very pretty fish when they get that big. Long time since I seen any.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

im thinking about going back and getting the last stragler as ther was only 5 in the tank and i didnt have the money for the last one