ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unsure about this ...

Default Unsure about this ...

I have a dilema. It began 48 hours ago.

What is the best treatment for this (see photo below)?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Unsure about this ...

Juvies are growing and more hungry. I just caught one trying to snip him. They tend to remove slime coating (??) off the two largest discus (male and female...treating them as "real" parents!). Other than this scab wound on him, he's fine! His poo looks good (brown and large); he eats moderately and swims as if he's 69 years old.

That looks like a fungus. I would try salt and pimafix right now if hes eating ok and otherwise ok. Maybe someone else can help you better tho.

Amber
    Amber
    Proud single working mother of three.

Can you isolate this fish? It looks as though the flesh is showing through the skin, is that correct? Has it been caused by the juvvies pecking at him? If so he needs to be removed as should other adult fish that tolerate the pecking until the juvvies are a bit older.

If it is exposed flesh through injury (juvvies pecking) salt and clean water should see it through. You could aalso use Acriflavine for this too, but check your bio filter doesn't get impaired if you use it. Watch for inflamation around the wound site and for fungus.

If its

hth,
    Last edited by pcsb23; 04-28-2006 at 05:28 PM.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Paul definitely knows better than me!!!

Amber
    Amber

It does appear the inner lining of his skin exposed. Lots of pecking going on (all of a sudden). I now see that he's in excruciating pain (as if it burns him); he tilts to that side but not a lot just sporadically.

I'll try to take him out and place him in a pail for now. No room to start a QT tank. I put enough food for those juvies; I cannot understand why they are acting (all of a sudden) so peckish and mean. Oh, by the way, do you know how long this will take to clear (a week or two)?

Thanks, **Paul**Amber**

**angie**

If its an injury it will start to heal fairly quickly, if its caused by an infection then without meds it won't heal. You should start to see an improvement in 2 to 3 days, if it gets worse during this time or does not improve then some sort of infection would be indicated. Hopefully it is just an injury. I don't want to be the jonah on this but if it is an infection then it could be difficult to cure.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Unhappy Re: Unsure about this ...

Paul,
    Infection alright. Darn cut is larger than before. Is this a sign of healing (for a fish)?

Here's what he looks like now. He's been now in the pail (with salt) since Friday night. He's not eating because I guess he's scared. He always looks up to see who lift off the pail cover. Temps are at 86 degree fahrenheit. I give one cube of frozen bloodworms to him, but he stalls. So now I don't feed. I change water (once a day, giving him a new pail of fresh overnight warm water with one tablespoon of Aquatic Salt).

I feel bad for him. He's my big pride and joy royal blue papa. I don't wanna lose him.

ANgie

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Angie I feel for you I do! I wish I could pop you over a ten gal as I have two ~ He is not eating at all? Have you seen any others with this? No improvment by now could be infection as Paul indicated~

Hang in there woman you have the best helping you!! Keep us posted please~

Marie ~

Awww I'm sorry! I hope that he makes it thru this!

Amber
    Amber

Angie,

Think we'll have to treat as an infection, a broad spectrum anti-biotic would be the best bet, furan 2 is a good choice which I believe you can easily get in the states (not so easy in the UK vets only!).

Lets hope that does the trick.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Hard to find here, too, Paul. I think I may have to do a mail order request on getting it (Furan2). I'll check with DrsF&S. Thanks again.

He's still around. Looks up all the time at the cover. It's almost as if he wants to get out and back with his family.

The others are all fine. Just those juvies are very peckish. And you're sooo right...the juvies have to be cordoned away from one another. They are vicious at times.

Sorry...here's the photo with the juvies on one side.
    The oranges are fine together. They seem to like one another. The Golden Snakeskin is the "adopted mom" and lover of the sick Royal Blue in the pail. She's not the same since she misses him.

**Angie**

Angie...

I hope he gets better for you. It's so hard when they get sick
    Keep us updated... oh.. another place you can try is thatpetplace... I believe that they sell it. Good luck!!!
    Candy

Angie,

Some more thoughts here, I hate suggesting that the fish might not make it and know from your previous posts that you are not a fan of meds. This looks to be quite serious though, it is close to the head and is affecting its balance so it suggests that it has spread quite a bit internally. I would be tempted to lower the temperature to around 80-82f and if possible lower the ph too, to below 7 as this will help suppress the bacteria. Sadly you may need to prepare yourself for the worst. I'm sorry to have to say that and know its not what you want to hear.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast