ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help, Fish Dying

Default Re: Help, Fish Dying

Josh, Welcome to Simply!

When you clean your sump you can rinse the bio balls in tank water, they to need to be rinse every now and then. I use AlgaeFix in my BB tanks without any problems at all, so I strongly believe that is not what is causing the cloudiness in your tank. Where do you have the tank? Are there any windows around the tank? The reason why I ask is, my tanks are not by windows that get sunlight, but they do get reflections. There is a house on the side of me that the sunlight reflects off one of it's windows right onto my tank for about an hour everyday in the spring/summer/fall but not winter LOL. That was giving me cloudy water or it can be cause by unclean media. The white "disc" you see are actually worms, daily water changes of 50% will get rid of them for you. Here's what Carol posted about it:
    Planaria:
    Symptoms: White dots on the glass walls of the tank and inside the filter. Planaria love smooth surfaces.
    Treat by cleaning your tank, rinsing the filter, wiping down the inside of your tank and increasing water changes. Decrease amount fed and use a prefilter if food and feces are being sucked into the filter. You can also dose with formalin at 1 cc per 10 gallons, but would need to watch for ammonia spike if heavy die off.

Registered Member

Kieth, by cleaning my sump I mean vacuming out any crud that gets by the first mechanical sponge and then clean that sponge along with the water polishing sponge . I also cleaned my return pump prefilter sponge(3 in total).
    I left my bioballs and biorings alone.

Hexed, I have cleaned my bioballs before using tank water and had no problems.
    Is there anything else that works besides formulin. I have melafix,pimafix.prozipro,metro,and meth blue. I can get anything else tommorow.
    Thanks Josh

Real Name
    Mike

its the algae rid liquid. I had one swim through the stuff as I was adding it directly to the tank once. Next day he was sick, swimming sideways, thrashing and I thought i was gonna lose him. He recovered after clean water changes but i think he has some residual permanent damage. He still eats and swims great but he has a weird way about him, kinda hard to explain. Dont use that crap. Clean water, less light and frequent wipeing will keep down the algae. Discus do hate that stuff!

add salt..if its your bio struggling..it will help the fish not get their gills fried.
    maybe that stuff didnt help your bio either.
    sorry to hear about your fish.
    do a large water change daily for a bit. might take awhile for your filter to recover.

Try removing the anti-algae stuff from the water. Discus do not take kindly to some of them.
    Discus Habitat
    The Art & Science of Discus - Singapore Style!

Registered Member

Well, the remaining 8 (out of 10) look better Today. A few of them greeted me at the glass when I got home from work a gave me the "feed me stare" and went to the feeding cone. About half ate pretty well while some just stayed back and half heartedly pecked at food floating by.
    I am going to do another big water change today and take it from there. Question is should I medicate them now or wait and see.

Well, I cannot believe people are blaming algaefix as the cause of everything LMAO! I use it on a regular basis and it does not cloud my water or make my fish sick. Reminds me of another thread where Flourish Excel was killing fish too! I am not going to recommend meds cause then it will be them that's doing it. If the product on the market kills discus why not call the company and let them know? There is no warning on the label saying it does, but then I cannot see how a discus can swim through a drop of it and get sick? I wonder if you went back to your regular routine if your tank is going to get cloudy again? Check your media and see if there is debris stuck on it. If you want I can post pictures of all my tanks here and you can see how crystal clear they are and how healthy my discus are using the product? The product did not even harm my plants either.
    Frank

Registered Member

Talking Re: Help, Fish Dying

I dont use algae remover. To me a little algae never hurt anything and its a consant reminder that I need to clean the tank. lol
    Brian

Hexed,

My fish didnt die, they just had breathing problems and were skittish. I blame the algae stuff because it happened almost immediately after dosing. I must confess, I did overdose as I read the label wrong. And I measured and dosed directly into the tank. That is why I siggested that the algae stuff may have caused the problem. It was something he had done differently.

In any event, I choose to never use the stuff again as I rather treat the problem, and not the effect of it. Just my opinion. But I was a newbie then, and as a newbie, (even now), if it can be done wrong, I will find the way!!
    Marilyn

Registered Member

Sometimes doing a too good of a job on cleaning a tank can cause a mini cycle so as stated earlier test for everything to rule that out of the possibilities. I would also consider this behavior is common with fish experiencing bacterial infections of some sort. Obviously something is wrong so take your time and do your homework before you medicate if you medicate at all. Keep a close eye on things since they are swimming so crazy darting around and everything may have to administer some kind of antibacterial to prevent further infections from starting such as fungal. Read a book in your spare time by the name of Dicus Health. It is really good.

Registered Member

Thanks Guys, the fish are doing better but still aren't back to normal . I figure I'll just keep doing big water changes and keep a close eye on them. I took my two BD's out of the main tank for now because they seemed the most stressed. I put them in my QT tank with a little salt and heat to chill them out. If they look better tommorow I will put them back.

Josh

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by hexed
    Well, I cannot believe people are blaming algaefix as the cause of everything LMAO! I use it on a regular basis and it does not cloud my water or make my fish sick. There is no warning on the label saying it does, but then I cannot see how a discus can swim through a drop of it and get sick?
    Frank
    I cant say in his case this is the only problem. I can only say that I too saw an immediate problem after using algaefix with the one who swam through the dose. The bottle says 1 teaspoon per 50g. I added enough for my 80g directly to the tank so we are not talking drops. Immediately that discus had serious effects (swirling, darting, sideways swimming and breathing problems). After water changes, he recovered but I think not fully. I just choose not to chance it again. The warnings do say not to use for some freshwater animals. It doesnt say it isnt harmful to discus either but it must be somewhat dangerous if it comes with some precautions when using in fresh water. I never had cloudy water and none of the other discus ever had any problems. I think with any chemical, it is a problem if it is concentrated. That discus just had bad timing. From then till now I always premix anything I add to the tank.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12