ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DISCUS GARDE -WHAT A BUYER SHOULD EXPECT

Banned

Arrow Re: DISCUS GARDE -WHAT A BUYER SHOULD EXPECT

Quote Originally Posted by Elcid
    (1) There is always a better grade than the one you are buying.
    I AGREE

(2) The re-seller does not grade fishes he or she only sells them at the grade at which he or she has purchased them.
    I AGREE but he can regrade the discus according to this forum grading system. So every sponsor would be on the same level.

(3) Grading is based the sellers personal expections of what the fish might become given ideal situation that the buyer is expected to maintain.
    I AGREE AND DISAGREE - You should not pay for seller expectation but for what you actually purchase.

(4) You cannot judge the grade based on some standard shape, color, eye size etc because for each strain the standards are different.
    I TOTALY DISAGREE - Some strain would just never have AA or A grade but it would be normal.

(5) Difficult to get, highly valued strains are graded more generously than those that are in surplus.
    HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT IT YET

(6) The grade of discus is generally enhanced by use of color feeding, hormones, special diet, water conditions, use of antibiotics, and other "trade secret" formulations that the buyer is not able to duplicate.
    PROPABLY -But forum member can show what ther purchase look after a while. This can help buyer see if fish are getting better or worse.

(7) Never purchase any discus from some unknown seller regardless of what grade they claim it to be.
    ??? - Every body have to start somewhere.

(8) The sponsors are our friends, our chances of getting better grade fish from them is much higher than anyone who claims to have AAAA grade discus.
    I TOTALY AGREE THAT SPONSOR ARE OUR FRIEND. I know they also take risk and sometime loosing money on certain transaction. Without them we would end up whit a lot of crap and import on a user base is not sometime to think about.
    Last edited by AmazonRainbows; 05-29-2006 at 12:42 AM.

Registered Member

Default Re: DISCUS GARDE -WHAT A BUYER SHOULD EXPECT

Amazonrainbows,
    Can you post pics of all your new fish that you just received?
    How long have you been in the hobby? how do you judge the quality of discus?

Lee
    Last edited by nolefan; 05-29-2006 at 12:53 AM.

Banned

Hello Nolefan,

Yes I will post picture of all fish I have just received as soon as I can. I've been in the hobby for 4 months.

Start in Discus world dec. 30 2005.

I judge the quality of the Discus by the healt, the shape & pattern. I first check out what buyer get on this site and other site. Then I compare mine to equivalent purchase. Compare same strain, size, category & price.

Registered Member

My lss from gold mountain discus 6inch.AA grade

Lee
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned

nolefan,

I would not make this post about the fish I just received. This is not my first intention and I would like to put this out of this thread. I make this post about the meaning and standard of Discus Grading. However I will open another thread to talk about the Discus I just received. I'm totaly open to everyone to comment my purcahse. No body posses the thrue but I do believe in commun sense.

Also I would like to add that Frank has been a gentleman and he manage to make me 100% satisfied about the transaction.
    Last edited by AmazonRainbows; 05-29-2006 at 01:58 AM.

Registered Member

Looks very similar to the pic of your second pic of your lss.

Lee

Banned

Nolefan,

Can you post a picture in another thread please? We could make a comparaison.

@+

Banned

Exclamation Re: DISCUS GARDE -WHAT A BUYER SHOULD EXPECT

Quote Originally Posted by nolefan
    My lss from gold mountain discus 6inch.AA grade

Lee
    Now that you post:

This is the one I received. Are you ready to do an exchange? I will at 200%.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

What size is yours ? Moved thread to Sponsor section like you asked.

Lee

Real Name
    Stud Muffin

(1) There is always a better grade than the one you are buying.
    True....and there's no such thing as a 'Perfect' discus.....

(2) The re-seller does not grade fishes he or she only sells them at the grade at which he or she has purchased them.
    While this MAY be true (or should be) in the Simply sponsor world, its DEFINATELY not true when it comes to 'other' less scrupulous sellers.
    Some importers will tell outright, blatant lies to get rid of a tank of discus.

(3) Grading is based the sellers personal expections of what the fish might become given ideal situation that the buyer is expected to maintain.
    If your dealing with an honest, experienced 'BREEDER' this is true. Less so with an experienced 'importer'....and purely guess work for a rookie 'importer'

(4) You cannot judge the grade based on some standard shape, color, eye size etc because for each strain the standards are different.
    100% disagree! Why would(or should) a Red Turk be graded differently on shape, eye size & proportion, than a Leopard? Or a Blue Diamond?
    Keep in mind we're not talking 'highfin' or 'highbody' discus....A 'standard' discus should have a 'STANDARD' shape to be compared to, and judged by.

(5) Difficult to get, highly valued strains are graded more generously than those that are in surplus.
    True....and thats a damn shame.

(6) The grade of discus is generally enhanced by use of color feeding, hormones, special diet, water conditions, use of antibiotics, and other "trade secret" formulations that the buyer is not able to duplicate.
    For high end strains, I would agree with you. For low end, not true...but there are always exceptions.

(7) Never purchase any discus from some unknown seller regardless of what grade they claim it to be.
    For someone new to the hobby, this is a good rule to follow.

(8) The sponsors are our friends, our chances of getting better grade fish from them is much higher than anyone who claims to have AAAA grade discus.
    I agree 100%

Tony

Real Name
    Stud Muffin

Quote Originally Posted by nolefan
    What size is yours ?

uhhhh.......BIG! VERY BIG!!

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_S
    uhhhh.......BIG! VERY BIG!!

Tony
    ok, most guys got a shlong, how come i got a shlort?

(go ahead AL, edit away)

Sandeep,

I know this is a confusing topic for the new buyer and a frustrating one for the seller. But, just because there is confusion and frustration does not mean that we should not discuss it in an open forum or be told by the experts that we should learn in the University and thereby become an educated buyer.
    No one is telling you that you or anyone should learn it in the forum section designed to teach it...You may learn it any where you like or not all...the choice is yours. Personally when I want to learn something I use as many venues as I can... but hey , I fully realize that not everyone appreciates the university and what its potential is.

My point was that the solution to this problem is going to take more that a few members pointing out what they think, based on nothing more but what can best be called limited experiences in the whole scope of things.. Thats been done for decades and has accomplished nothing.

Sandeep you may not appreciate this forum and what we try to accomplish here...but we are trying to fix the problems associated with buying discus.. We have started the university to educate, we have a feedback system to rate sellers... we have Sponsors that are screened and held accountable.. You and everyone else have this to use for free. If you were involved in Discus a few years ago, you would see that the systems we have in place here are all moving us forward...my point was...they need participation to move the issues forward...I was not telling you that you or anyone had to learn in the University... You said , Please no one take Offense, well Offense was taken as I don't see your comment as necessary, and quite honestly was meant to give offense.

Let me ask you something Sandeep since you have such an interest in quality.... If a seller on this forum sold you sick or inferior fish, would you help your fellow hobbyists in their future purchases by leaving negative feedback?

-al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 05-29-2006 at 08:18 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_ S
    f your dealing with an honest, experienced 'BREEDER' this is true. Less so with an experienced 'importer'....and purely guess work for a rookie 'importer'

Okay I know that I am probably way out of my league here ~ but If I may chime in....

Tony ~ Should not people check out this site and SEE who is an experienced 'BREEDER' and apply common sense to what seasoned members are saying to us? It seems that people who know of which they speak TALK but then I see that some end up not following the advice given and purchase some where else! I mean I have not been here long and I do not know much but I DO KNOW where I would buy my discus from ~ and who I would not ~ I think....I hope...lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Brewmaster15
    If a seller on this forum sold you sick or inferior fish, would you help your fellow hobbyists in their future purchases by leaving negative feedback?
    Al ~ I know we should but I do not think I could cuz I would just contact YOU and have you fix it! J/k!! I think that Dan or Cary would have fixed any problems I would have had on a dime ~ IMO ~ and I have seen sellers/breeders make it right ~ I am sure that is not always the case ....and I always wondered ...if they make it right do we still post neg?

Marie ~

Marie,
    People need to use the feedback system for both positive and negatives... The feedback is supposed to be based on the total experience ... bad fish do get sent by good sellers...it happens, problems arise. If a seller sends bad fish, its a negative..but if the seller is made aware of the issue , works with you, replaces the fish, or credit, and treats you correctly... I think thats a positive...and theres nothing wrong with stating that there were some issues and the seller worked with you to a resolution... To me, that says alot of about a sellers ethics.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast