AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: MARIE HAS DONE IT NOW.....

Default Re: MARIE HAS DONE IT NOW.....

Marie,

Dont forget furan2 is carcenogenic... wear gloves. Also, turn off the light and block the light to the tank. It can cause bacteria to grow faster and also weaken the medication.
    Marilyn

furan is said not to affect the filter, but others disagree. Marilyn, this is why I maintain that keeping the pH at 6.5 or lower at all times is the best policy. In case of meds or filter problems, you don't have killer ammonia spikes. You have ammonium.

With big WC, no need for carbon, just change the water.

And I like acriflavine as a med for undetermined organisms also. Found in Fungus cure by AP, which is malachite and acriflavine. Really good med.

Maracyn whatever with tetracycline, no way. Erythromycin, the same, not so great for water application. In the food for those two.
    Dave
    Last edited by raglanroad; 05-25-2006 at 03:48 PM.

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

okay....salt dips? I wld rather not take anyone out of this tank as I am not wanting to put further stress on them ~ Did that make sense? hmm...I am tired ~ sorry guys ~ umm....shld I be adding salt to the tank along with the Furan2??

Please dont make me take anyone out ~

I dont care if the plants die ~

Registered Member

Marie,
    Oooops I did mean dips, and yes this is the Dave that helped me.

Larry

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kindredspirit

okay....salt dips? I wld rather not take anyone out of this tank as I am not wanting to put further stress on them ~ Did that make sense? hmm...I am tired ~ sorry guys ~ umm....shld I be adding salt to the tank along with the Furan2??

Please dont make me take anyone out ~

I dont care if the plants die ~
    Marie,
    I felt exactly the same way... until after I tried it for the first time. The difference is amazing, they just look better, and you can tell that they FEEL BETTER after a salt dip. You need to move them to a seperate container because you need to use a LOT of salt, many keep them in the dip until they "roll", I've read that some even keep them in longer. I don't remember how much to use exactly, maybe Dave could chime back in? I used whatever amount he told me to use.

Larry
    Last edited by lhforbes12; 05-25-2006 at 04:34 PM.

Marie, sorry to hear about your discus. You got on it right away which hopefully should help. I did a salt bath on my angel for 20 min salt bath, 2 tablespoons per gallon. If it rolls over before the 20 mins get it out and back in the main tank straight away. It did help.

Keep the lights off as Furan 2 is light sensitive.

I don't think it was the plants or cross contamination of your hands. Not sure what but maybe adding the wood piece stressed them? That is all I can think.

Good luck and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by traco
    Marie, sorry to hear about your discus. You got on it right away which hopefully should help. I did a salt bath on my angel for 20 min salt bath, 2 tablespoons per gallon. If it rolls over before the 20 mins get it out and back in the main tank straight away. It did help.

Keep the lights off as Furan 2 is light sensitive.

I don't think it was the plants or cross contamination of your hands. Not sure what but maybe adding the wood piece stressed them? That is all I can think.

Good luck and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
    I totally missed the part about the new drift wood! How did you make that? (what materials did you use, what type of wood, was it soaked prior to use)?

Tina

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by marilyn1998
    Marie,

SOmeone correct me please, but I think that Furan2 will color your water green and can affect the biofilter. So test daily. With those big WC's you shouldnt have any probs. Just be careful not to tax the tank too soon and aerate is good too. When the treatment is done, put in carbon for 3 days to get rid of the medicine. dont forget to remove it!
    Furan 2 has 2% Methylene Blue Trihydrate, so there's where the color comes from. I agree with Marilyn, Furan 2 killed my bio-filter.

Larry

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Kenny's Discus's Avatar

Unhappy Re: MARIE HAS DONE IT NOW.....

Marie - I'm really sorry to hear this...but keep in mind with daily WCs or salt or antibiotics(back to strength) you can save these fishes. In the coming days they will look REALLY bad to the point where you think you should put them out of their misery. No, have faith in them and they will bounce back in about 2 weeks(approx.) What you're doing is to help their immune system to combat this disease and they shall recover.

Remember to keep the inside glasses and sponges clean when you see heavy slimes in your water. Any secondary/external infection can be taken care of by formalin, PP or salt dip. It'll be a lot of work for you for the next 2 weeks but it'll be worth it Marie.

Also when using antibiotics be sure to use it for the full duration to prevent possible future relapses, even if they seem to have recovered b4 that.

Best wishes to your fishes,
    Kenny
    Last edited by Kenny's Discus; 05-25-2006 at 06:49 PM.

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpl*co
    I totally missed the part about the new drift wood! How did you make that? (what materials did you use, what type of wood, was it soaked prior to use)?

Tina

I cheated Tina ~ most of the plants are plastic and the driftwood isnt real ~ but I did buy four plants and attached them to it ~ two of which died in one day and two are still attached ~

It looked great ~ up til when I started knocking off my fish and turned my water blue ~ pretty much like a graveyard now ~

Now they are hiding behind it and the biggest who has no slime coat slipping ~ is flat under it ~ Not a pretty sight to look at .... this tank ~ they look like they are all pretty much dying

Kenny I love you ~ Dan you too ~ everyone that has sent pm's all the calls ~ all these posts ~

Thank You all ~
    I do not know where I would be without you guys and Sd~

Now it is the waiting. That's the hardest thing to do. You watch them, they look awful and you have to wait for the meds to kick in and help them.

You're doing great so far. And it is sooo nice to have all this info and help you are receiving.

.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Kenny's Discus's Avatar

[QUOTE=traco]Now it is the waiting. That's the hardest thing to do. You watch them, they look awful and you have to wait for the meds to kick in and help them.
    QUOTE]

Exactly Barb.

Marie, don't lose hope...give them time and a chance to fight this terrible disease off. We're all pulling for you & your fishes here. Ask any questions you might have in the next few days here on this thread and we will help in any way we can.

again best wishes,
    Kenny

dont panic...heck..a lack of water changes can cause columnaris type symptoms..i had a fish like that awhile ago..cause i slacked on water changes..too much bio. right away..you see the saddle..whitish type slimecoat. no biggy..i did a big wc..and lots of salt..and he looked miserable for a few days..and now fine.
    they can look sooooo bad..and then within a week or so..look so good and back to breeding.
    yes..your hands could do it. i spread a virus or columnaris type thing from tank to tank..by touching one tank with one finger..then it went to teh next tank..and soon i had it in the upstairs tanks..and the downstairs tanks. i turned the lights out..did the salt and furan..and maroxy that i was advised to do...and most of them did fine.
    black is just the worse version of what your showing ...with starting to work on it now..things should get better. ill cross my fingers for you.
    why dont you have a tank for things like gobies..and plants..and driftwood etc...and leave your discus with discus and bare bottom?
    soon as people relax..and figure..oh..i got this downpat..and can get more creative..more chances of things going wrong .
    well let us know how its going..hope its all back to normal very soon.

Registered Member

Marie,
    They look awful because they hate the Furan 2. Once your treatment course is finished they will color up and begin to act normally. Don't despair, I think Marilyn said, and I agree "Feel better knowing that you acted CORRECTLY, acted QUICKLY, and learned from this. You did everything right in the treatment". I truly believe they will be OK, they just need the meds and time. btw mine are still pretty pissed at me for their ordeal, but they are starting to get over it.

Larry

Hi Marie,

The white patches you see... are they on the body only? How do the eyes look, are they clear or cloudy? and the fins? clear or opaque?

can you post a bunch of pics of the fish now....from several angles..

Try not to over worry here.. Illnesses in fish don't always mean fish deaths will occur. You did good by flagging it early and if its bacterial it'll be easier to treat.

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast