AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Color Enhancers

Registered Member Greg Richardson's Avatar

Default Color Enhancers

Always looking for an edge. In my studies of what is currently used to enhance color I dug deeper into Spirulina. If u want to see a movie on how it is made here ya go. Also look to the side for more links about it as well.
    http://www.spirulinasource.com/movies.html

BTW. Here is my current list of color enhancers.
    If u can add to it, or have just heard a rumor I'd love to check it out.
    There has to be more of them out there.
    I believe that they are right in front of us but just haven't been discovered or being kept a secret.

Rolled oats ground up. They are rich in amino acids that will enhance blue tones.

Beta carotene.

Astaxanthin.

Shrimp.

Canary Yellow.

Carrots.

Krill.

Salmon oil.

Nutrurose.

Spirulina.

Turmeric.

Red algae.

What I'm going to be looking into below.
    Some are rumors.
    Some are from other products ingredient's info.

Have info? Please share.

Daisy or Chrysanthemum petals.

Licorice.

Capsorubin.

Zeaxanthin.

Lutein.

Kryptoxanthin.

Alpha.

Capxanthin.

Xanthophyl.

Chlorophyll.

Phuycocyanin.
    Last edited by Greg Richardson; 05-26-2006 at 10:19 AM.

Registered Member

Default Re: Color Enhancers

Greg,
    I don't have anything to add but I think this should be made into a sticky. It's a great list.

Larry

Thanks Larry. Appreciate it.

Disappointed by lack of comments.

When u can take these enhancers and insert them in BH without the other junk that goes with the manufactured foods, as well as control what your goal is color wise I would think there would be more interest?
    I must be wrong.
    I think that people look at what is available and think if it was going to be discovered it already has. I don't believe that.
    I know I'm not giving up. Will keep on looking.

Registered Member

Greg,
    I agree with you. But I also have to admit that I never have made my own food and I probably never will. However I also do not use flake foods, or pellets either. All of my fish get CBW and frozen foods only. I am very interested in what you are trying to do however, since the more knowledge you have the better able you are to adjust to the needs of your fish, and admittedly, I'm just plain curious about it. It seems to me there must be many more color enhancers than are on your list, and I would certainly like to see some more input to it.
    I notice there are a great many xanthins in your list, I assume they enhance yellows and/or reds?

Larry

Yup, neat idea Greg. some of them are more than colour enhancers. Licorice is pretty powerful stuff. It's easy to over feed on these enhancers like naturose and turn the fish red even inside the mouth. A little goes along way. Much better than prepared foods with dyes.

Dave
    Last edited by raglanroad; 05-26-2006 at 04:27 AM.

Greg,
    I use paprika for red, spirulina and sometimes tomato paste for orange.

I have heard that marigold flowers work great as well.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

astaxanthin

Hi Greg. Great list! So, rolled oats for blue tones..., great, I didn't know that. Anything else for blue? And how about for green? I have a beautiful light metallic green snakeskin, so I would rather not feed her food to enhance red!

Connie

Greg,
    You can add Canary Yellow, can't remember the actual ingred name but it' used on, you guessed it, Canaries to brighten and intensify the yellow.
    Al,
    Is there a reason for using paprica rather than astaxanthin for red? And isn't tomato paste a bit messy in the tank?

kacey

Larry. Yes, Most of them were red and yellow. In fact Al mentioned paprika which I have on my old list but I was getting so many reds on that list I didn't put it on. Which in hindsight probably not a good idea since that is one that some may have and not have to buy so bad on my part.

Dave. I agree. Moderation is the key.
    Licorice I tried for a while to find out about it but my eyes got to tired reading. LOL! That one was given to me by someone who told me he got it from a breeder overseas. So that intrigues me and I want to learn more. Problem is when u do goggle searches on these items on the list the majority of them the chance of finding out the health issues related to fish if any, and if it will work for fish color is very slim.

Al. Tomato paste. What is involved with that? Do u make it or come pre made?

U mentioned marigold flowers. The other two items I was given was daisy and Chrysanthemum petals. So I imagine this is similar.
    Yesterday in my studies I noticed a lot of these items I was reading about are used for health reasons for humans which makes me feel good about use in fish.

Timbo. Yep! Used a lot.

Connie. Yesterday my studies left off at Spirulina. I'm trying to study the different types of algae's and what colors they promote. I'm thinking your answer is there and if I find out will let u know.
    I also wonder if Barb who raises those Ocean Greens has an answer?
    I read something about green yesterday but can't recall which one.

Kaceyo. Canary Yellow. Yep I remember reading about that long ago before I started really getting into this taking notes. Thanks I will add it.

Astaxanthin
    That is not only a popular one but one people are satisfied that the health of the fish is not being hurt which is very important.

Not saying because something is good for humans it is good for fish in an absolute way but it is encouraging when u read some of these items to find out they are sold as health items.

Using paprika instead I think is more of a what you have on hand situation.
    I went out and bought Turmeric which if I remember right promotes red also.
    Hopefully Al can answer the paste question.
    I would think that might help as a binder maybe also?

Thanks for all the replies!
    I hope by working together we can enhance the color of our fish in a way that enhances our enjoyment viewing them but not at the cost of the fish's health.
    Last edited by Greg Richardson; 05-26-2006 at 10:18 AM.

Greg, I agree with Larry. With all the time and effort you are putting in the research, when done, this info should be put into a sticky. Its great info to have.

Connie

Greg, thanks for compiling this list, a job well done, it's nice to be able to see some alternatives.Your list would make a great sticky. thanks josh

Registered Member

Hi Greg,

Thanx a million for the great piece of info.
    I didn't know there were so many types of chemical compounds that could impart red and yellow for our precious fish.

Although we are spoilt for choice, I have some queries.

Can discus or any other fish species deposit lycopene and the bright yellow pigment of Turmeric which are curcuminoids onto their skin?Has anyone obtain superior results with them than the common carotenoids eg lutein,zeaxanthin and astaxanthin?

Rolled oats ground up. They are rich in amino acids that will enhance blue tones.
    This is too good to be true.
    I have been reading stuff which gives credit to phycocyanin in spirulina
    for enhancing blue coloration.Some article states that beta carotene enhances blue green iriscescence in discus.
    Would you be able to shed more light on which particular amino
    acids that actively promotes blue coloration?

Thanx again Greg,
    Shandy

I have some bd that have this dark look how can I get them more blue? I think its the black stone in my tank. I don't want to do cemical. I feed them color bits but they still have dark crap on them and I want to get it out of there.

Shandy. I'm still in the learning stages.
    I'm real interested in Spirulina. Learning more about it.
    Sorry I don't have the answers for you.
    I wish I had lab conditions with tanks set up starting out with same size fish etc. eating different foods.

Architect1. Finding info on promoting blue has been a huge pain.
    I try to cheat by looking at the ingredients on the products that say they promote it. My guess is Spirulina be ones best bet but I need to do more research.

If anyone finds anything out I'd love to see it also.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast