ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Color Enhancers

Default Re: Color Enhancers

Gregg great thread, and perfect timing as I was just going to post a question regarding Yellow. What is available to enhace yellow coloration? I have some yellow diamonds and they seem to be going more of an orange yellow rather then a lemon yellow. Any recommendations?

Marigold petals, dried and ground. This I've been told. Never tried it.

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    Marigold petals, dried and ground. This I've been told. Never tried it.
    same here. I'm growing marigolds and would like to try them in the food.

Is there anything wrong with using fresh marigold petals/flowers? Everything i have read about it says dried, but would fresh be ok and how much do you add? anyone have experience here?

Registered Member Greg Richardson's Avatar

Is there anything wrong with using fresh marigold petals/flowers? Everything i have read about it says dried, but would fresh be ok and how much do you add? anyone have experience here?

Rod. We need a plant expert who can tell us why dried?
    My next discus will be yellows that I want to work with.
    Marigold flowers came up in my research.

Thing is how many times do we hear something someone said?
    Before long the advice is given more and more and it becomes gold.

The problem is the answer is given but the most important part WHY is left out.

Of course we all like to give answers about what we have heard it is something we all do.

More and more though in certain cases, and this is one of them, I'd like to know why?

Seems to me fresh would allow more of the pigments or carotenoids, what ever that one has to be used if not dried out first?
    http://www.atthegateministries.org/index.html

Ibanez540r. With yellows you really have to do some research into what you are feeding your fish.

I found that research to be very interesting.

So many of the foods we feed discus with has either natural or enhanced red in it.
    First off to keep them from going orange or red we must eliminate those foods.

If you aren't sure about a certain flake, pellet, or what ever you are feeding write or call the manufacture and ask if there is any thing in their product that will turn your fish in the slightest bit from yellow to orange?

This gets you around someone trying to protect their ingredient list saying that can't tell you what is in it if that is all you are asking.

Once that is eliminated go for also making your own natural yellow enhanced food.

One example was given already the marigolds. This definetly will help.

Another huge one that based on my research I think will be a winner is Lutein!

Below is my research notes as well as some links to go to.
    From those links you can continue your journey.

Notice the different foods you can use.
    Kale is the #1 food as far as containing the most Lutein.
    I'm very excited to start my journey once I find the right yellow discus to use.

About four years ago I saw in person two yellow discus that were not only huge, but the most beautiful REAL YELLOW I have seen.

I see the word yellow used a lot in the discus world and what I'm looking at is gold not yellow.

Notice the health benefits for us humans in regard to Lutein!

"Lutein (a carotenoid) is especially important to the health of the eye and maintenance of good sight.

Lutein is the yellow pigment found in the macula (the center of the retina). It is a crucial protector against macular degeneration and cataracts, because it counteracts damage from ultraviolet and blue light."

Dr. Robert Abel, M.D., ophthalmologist and author of "The Eye Care Revolution," (p. 299, © 1999 Kensington Books)

The latest progress report from the Beaver Dam eye study, which involves adults from 43-84 years of age, suggests that lutein and zeaxanthin intake may reduce the incidence of cataracts 13. Cataracts are a generalized clouding of the lens and often associated with the aging process. Lutein and zeaxanthin are the only carotenoids found in the lens.

Both spinach and kale are rich in lutein. Broccoli corn also.

Link to foods with lutein http://www.luteininfo.com/whereraw

Sourced from marigold flowers and purified from marigold flower oleoresin, FloraGLO® Lutein is the world's leading patented, purified lutein.

What is lutein?

Lutein is an important natural antioxidant that helps maintain healthy eyes and skin as we age. Lutein is a carotenoid found naturally in egg yolks and in fruits and vegetables, particularly dark green leafy vegetables such as spinach and kale. Carotenoids are compounds that provide color to plants and act as antioxidants. FloraGLO Lutein, the leading brand of purified lutein found in top supplement brands contains the exact same molecule as found in nature.

Hey there Greg, so why not just make your own mix that is Lutein fortified? It's a vitamin supplement so it should be easy to throw into a mix.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

For those wanting your yellow fish enhanced. Notice what they put in it?
    http://www.discusfood.com/cms/index...._id=14&clang=1
    I found this link after getting to the lutein research.
    For those with other colored fish they have special food for them also.

I have not bought yet from the below people but I will in the future as I want a multitude of different food to feed then my own mix.

Real Name
    Francis

Hi Rod,

Check with Liz( LizStreithorst) cos she recommended marigold petals to me to enhance yellow discus.....are the flowers in season

Cheers
    Francis

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    same here. I'm growing marigolds and would like to try them in the food.

Real Name
    Francis

Hi Greg,

I also notice Tony Tan has food for blue,red & yellow discus...may try them one day but have not seen them for sell in Canada yet. I am now using Sera discus pellets for blue & red discus...

Cheers
    Francis

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Richardson View Post
    For those wanting your yellow fish enhanced. Notice what they put in it?
    http://www.discusfood.com/cms/index...._id=14&clang=1
    I found this link after getting to the lutein research.
    For those with other colored fish they have special food for them also.

I have not bought yet from the below people but I will in the future as I want a multitude of different food to feed then my own mix.

Eddie.
    Hey there Greg, so why not just make your own mix that is Lutein fortified? It's a vitamin supplement so it should be easy to throw into a mix.
    I make my own food all the time...........

Having food that isn't frozen you can feed allows you to feed more.
    When I'm doing grow outs I'll throw some dry food in there any time of the day.
    Having dry food on hand I like besides a mix that is easy to feed and allows the fish to graze for their food I like also. This way depending on the group of fish you have it allows more fish to feed if you have a few aggressive fish crowding out the others going after the frozen mix.

Francis. Yes, an email to them for US and Canada distributors be good or just buying straight from them.

I haven't inquired yet but ran across them while running down lutein links.
    I like to cross check my research by making sure multiple sources are agreeing with the first conclusion I read about.
    Last edited by Greg Richardson; 02-24-2009 at 02:33 AM.

Fransis. Yes, marigolds coming into season in a few months. I imagine a simple grow light and you could start them any time.

BTW. I go fishing up in Canada. Beautiful country.

For the $$$ spent they give the best bang for the buck imo.
    Fantasic customer service.
    http://www.canadianprincess.com/resort/

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Richardson View Post

Seems to me fresh would allow more of the pigments or carotenoids, what ever that one has to be used if not dried out first?
    I cannot think of any reason why fresh ones cannot be used but i really don't know for sure, i agree that the fresh flowers would be at the peak of pigment content and should be best..... next batch of food i'll make a small amount with the petals and try on a few test fish.

Thanks for all the info, had a good read. Particularly the information about the kale and spinach.

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    Hi Rod,

Check with Liz( LizStreithorst) cos she recommended marigold petals to me to enhance yellow discus.....are the flowers in season

Cheers
    Francis
    Pretty well in season all year here, i plant them as companions in the herb and vege patch.

Powdered merigold, or most any other plant additive, such as astaxanthin or spirolina, is much more consentrated than the raw plant itself. You'd have to add quite a bit of plant matter to get the same results as a teaspoon or tablespoon of powder.

Kacey

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by kaceyo View Post
    Powdered merigold, or most any other plant additive, such as astaxanthin or spirolina, is much more consentrated than the raw plant itself. You'd have to add quite a bit of plant matter to get the same results as a teaspoon or tablespoon of powder.

Kacey
    Hi Kacey,

Yes, makes sense. But i have free marigolds and having short arms and long pockets like i do, i would prefer to not have to buy it if i can avoid it. Any product like that is super expensive here in Oz.

Rod

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast