ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OK, thinking of a showtank

Default OK, thinking of a showtank

Of about 125 - 130 gallons, what types and wattage of heaters, and lights if I want to put some swords in there (types of lights and wattage too). (currently I have a bunch of 200- 250 watt heaters)

Of the canister filters I have now that I can use, I have a Eheim 2227, a Eheim 2229, and a Filstar XP3. Which should I use on a tank this size? I'm leaning twords the eheims since they kick the Filstars b*tt in keeping the tanks clean. Would one Eheim be enough or should I run both on a tank this size? I have some sponges I can run too, but this tank will be the show tank.

This tank will also be an island tank that will be viewed from both sides (and no, I don't think I'll drill it!).

Just testing the water to see how much more investment I have to make or if I have most of the stuff I need already!

Just thought of another thing, where would I position the spraybars if the tank can be viewed front and back? Since both Eheims are breathing filters!

And Marie, Mumms the word!

Tina

Default Re: OK, thinking of a showtank

Quote Originally Posted by tpl*co
    Of about 125 - 130 gallons, what types and wattage of heaters, and lights if I want to put some swords in there (types of lights and wattage too). (currently I have a bunch of 200- 250 watt heaters)
    2 x 250 watt heaters should be fine. Lights, you will need in the region of 300 watts total to stay at low tech, 400 - 600 watts if you go high tech. Colour temps in the region of 5000K to 6500K work very well. A lot will depend on the technology of the lights (T5's PC's VHO's MH.... )

Of the canister filters I have now that I can use, I have a Eheim 2227, a Eheim 2229, and a Filstar XP3. Which should I use on a tank this size? I'm leaning twords the eheims since they kick the Filstars b*tt in keeping the tanks clean. Would one Eheim be enough or should I run both on a tank this size? I have some sponges I can run too, but this tank will be the show tank.
    On the basis of not being able to over filter I'd go for the 2 eheims, imo the best cannister filters going. I wouldn't run sponges, maybe an airstone but that shouldn't be necessary either.

This tank will also be an island tank that will be viewed from both sides (and no, I don't think I'll drill it!).

Just testing the water to see how much more investment I have to make or if I have most of the stuff I need already!

Just thought of another thing, where would I position the spraybars if the tank can be viewed front and back? Since both Eheims are breathing filters!
    Just try and run cables and pipes up the corners or near to them. Try and run as much as possible under the hood or canopy if appropriate. On one I've seen they used some white pvc trunking on one corner and all the tubes etc went in that, it has a peel off top so is easy to get into. Looked reasonably neat. As for the spray bars I'd go one each end to start and see how it works.

And Marie, Mumms the word!

Tina
    no comment

Good luck & enjoy.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Thanks Paul,

on the spraybars, I'll be feeding all the plumbing and stuff from the right side of the tank, one end everything will be very visible since it will be sticking out in the room. If I have the spraybar on top it will squirt water and obscure the view (of course the spraybar is only about 12-16 inches of a 5 foot tank). Also, would fitting both canisters so they both feed through the same spot on the right be a problem with the breathing of the farthest away canister? (length of tubing)?. The 2227 and 2229's are so sensitive on the length of tubing on them to operate properly! Would there be a possibility I'd have to run one non-breathing? (the one that ends up behind the other and would need the longer tubing)? The tank would be tall. Of course the 2229 would go on it. I'd probably run some sponges too in the beginning to get the filters acclimated to the extra volume though.

Also, I think I just threw all my stealth heater boxes away, is there any way to tell if what I have are 200 watt or 250 watt?

Tina
    Last edited by tpl*co; 05-26-2006 at 11:12 AM.

Tina, I see lots of reading in the near future. You have pretty much all you need; lucky you to have Eheims. I also ran sponge filters in the tank for the first bit to help with the switchover.

Are you going planted in substrate or just pots? I went with sand with a bit of gravel for substrate. I only maybe 2" of substrate on either end for the live plants, wood with anubias and java fern attached and in the middle and front of the tank, I just have a skim coat of sand to cover the bottom. Most of their food stays on the skim coat and is easy for them to browse while eating.

I vacuum the skim coat daily and hover over the planted areas to pick up crud. I made sure when planting that I have room to wipe the sides of the tank without disturbing the plants.

I run just over 2 watts per gallon for lighting. I've got some swords, onion plants, red ludwigia, cabomba and then the plants attached to the wood.

Can't wait to see pics of the newly aquascaped tank!

.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Also, it looks like the power compacts I have on my tanks now would not be enough for the larger tank. I have a 130 watt total 48" aqualight, and a 36" 192 watt total aqualight. Neither would fit a 5 foot tank.

Tina

Thanks Paul,

on the spraybars, I'll be feeding all the plumbing and stuff from the right side of the tank, one end everything will be very visible since it will be sticking out in the room. If I have the spraybar on top it will squirt water and obscure the view (of course the spraybar is only about 12-16 inches of a 5 foot tank). Also, would fitting both canisters so they both feed through the same spot on the right be a problem with the breathing of the farthest away canister? (length of tubing)?. The 2227 and 2229's are so sensitive on the length of tubing on them to operate properly! Would there be a possibility I'd have to run one non-breathing? (the one that ends up behind the other and would need the longer tubing)? The tank would be tall. Of course the 2229 would go on it. I'd probably run some sponges too in the beginning to get the filters acclimated to the extra volume though.
    Its difficult trying to imagine how the tank looks and what the hood/canopy looks like. There is no reason not to put both eheims together at one end. Onmy tanks I have a rim around the top that is around 2 to 3 " deep, that is above the water. Its useful when running things out of sight. If yours doesn't it makes everything so much more visible. I don't use the spray bar anymore on my tanks. I've taken them all off, I'd rather just have the tube discharging just under the water's surface. I can if necessary rotate the discharge tube up to break the surface if needed. I have one of the breathing eheims, they are good. Maybe I've been lucky but I run different length tubes, all 3 of them are different lengths, and no probs either. Even if one runs as a non breather it still is a great filter. I did put mine on a small shelf though to lessen the head height, as my tanks are all quite tall.

No probs in running extra sponges, don't believe you can over filter a tank.

Also, I think I just threw all my stealth heater boxes away, is there any way to tell if what I have are 200 watt or 250 watt?

Tina
    No idea we don't get stealths in the UK from all reports they are pretty darned good. Truth be told 2 x 200's would probably be ok. I run 2 x 200's on my 100 gal and they cope no probs, I can get the temp up to 94 with ease too.

(Drilled with a weir and a sump means no pipes/heater etc on sow but....)

Paul

Comfortably numb.

Also, it looks like the power compacts I have on my tanks now would not be enough for the larger tank. I have a 130 watt total 48" aqualight, and a 36" 192 watt total aqualight. Neither would fit a 5 foot tank.

Tina
    Other than fitting them, there is enough wattage combined there. Thats 322 watts total, which is good for a low tech tank. A lot of plants become available to you with that level of lighting.

I know this is more expense but a couple of suspended Metal Halides over the tank would look awesome, 2 at 175W each would rock. Also if you ever went high tech it would be easy enough to upgrade. There are some really elegant pendant fittings for them now. I know, I know - I'm spending your money
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

What about cooling both fixtures though? One has a fan also, and the other does not. Also that's 3 cords for 2 light fixtures, 2 cords for the 2 filters and 2 cords for the heaters. Do I have to worry about blowing the power? Especially since DH's precious TV may be on the same circuit (different outlet)? (and maybe the pellet stove in the winter, but different outlet).

Well, I know to smooth a new tank over with the spouse, not to mess with a man's TV equipment! LOL!

That's why I'm thinking new single tank, my old tank is dwarfed now by my husband's entertainment unit

What about those retrofit PC kits? a pendant is out of the question, I don't want to obstruct the view anymore than I have to through the room to the glass doors in the back.

Also, with the "swimming in a fish bowl" make my discus skittish? They have one wall against the wall now, will see through 3 walls make them more nervous?

My plants will move from my existing tank, pots and all! LOL. Really low tech disguised pots .

Tina
    Last edited by tpl*co; 05-26-2006 at 01:03 PM.

Registered Member

Tina,
    I really think you should reconsider the "no drilling" for your scenario. I was recently in the hospital (gaul bladder operation) and they had a.. I guess it was about a 300 gallon tank (footprint of a 240 but about 30" high). They had island overflows in that tank, which like yours was an island, and it was stunning. However they ran the cable for the lights down one corner, and although they did a good job of hiding it, it still destroyed the illusion for me. I can only imagine what 4 hoses would do. While I disagree with you and Paul about the effectiveness of an XP3 (I also have Eheims and XP3's... for me the XP3 wins the "keep the tank clean" scenario, that is probably more what is inside (the media) than the actual filter though. I do agree with Paul about using both Eheims, and lets face it, the Eheims are "dead silent" the XP3 is not. If you get a stand with a canopy it wont make any difference whether your lights are the correct length or not. Just some "food for thought"

Larry

Thanks Larry,

I wasn't as much worried about the length than the number of plugs and the ventilation though. I'm also wondering how much clearance to the wall I'd need if that is the only open spot on the canopy (one tank I'm considering is a U shaped island type aquarium others are standard boxes). Or would I need to crack open the top of the canopy for ventilating the lights?

I'm trying to think ahead before I buy, LOL.
    Tina

Registered Member

Tina,
    I have this unit over my 6 week old 125 http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=267
    I have a canopy and I disabled the 2 fans it comes with (too noisy) no problems so far at all. Inside the canopy is warm but not hot.
    As far as the canopy goes, for you, you would need to buy/make one with 4 sides, since they would all be exposed. The one I saw at the hospital was like that.
    Larry
    Last edited by lhforbes12; 05-26-2006 at 01:59 PM.

The tank I'm thinking of getting has one open side and will be put against one wall, but I guess not directly against the wall since I'd need some clearance for the tubes and some ventilation? (I'm only going on a picture I saw). It does look a whole lot neater though than just sticking a conventional tank and stand out in the middle of the room though. Been wrestling with the flat back of regular aquariums and the open backs of the stands thing. The plus part of conventional aquariums is that they are cheaper!

Tina
    Last edited by tpl*co; 05-26-2006 at 02:12 PM.

OK, the tank I'm thinking of looks something like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Tina,
    ummm... your last post now has me a bit confused. It's going against a wall?
    Anyway here's a pic of mine which is a 125 Perfecto on an AGA stand (sorry about the flash but it was the only way I could show the stand/canopy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Tina,
    The tank above has twin corner overflows and is directly against the wall (well there is about 1/4" gap in back so I could run the light cords (3)

Larry

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast