ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tina's Show Tank Journey

Default Tina's Show Tank Journey

Well, the journey of a show tank started a while ago and I took the plunge of getting a room divider tank (the only place I could get a large tank in my place was to get it away from the wall, not enough wall space).

Searching around town all tanks were for putting against the wall and had their stands and canopies open in the back. Well, found one on Ebay from a manufacturer but it was across the country! (they ship though). A 130 gallon room divider tank with cherry cabinet and canopy!

Was on the fence for a while if I should get it. A little history of the decision. The place I have my largest tank (60 gallon) now is not the best, I have trouble getting any good equipment on it, have trouble cleaning it. It doesn't look good either where it's at. My other nicer tank is a 46?-50? bow is small, has a oak cabinet and is too small. My DH put a large cherry entertainment unit next to it and the tank is dwarfed and looks so out of place. Also, I'm spending so much time trying to keep up with the 2 tanks and not keeping them as clean as I would like. DH complained about my fish stuff all over the place and that he wouldn't mind one tank as long as it was organized. Complaining about the fish tanks springing up all over the place. hmmm, one tank big enough for everybody, I would have to clean just that one and that would match the furniture and compliment the room? I was on a mission! A lot of the tanks in town were against the wall, had black or oak cabinets and wouldn't match anything or fit Then there was that viewing from the back consideration and being able to see through the tank to the sliding glass door and the yard beyond. Many tanks were just too short to do that and you'd be viewing through the canopy . I did see an 180 gallon cherry mission style rectangular tank at a LFS, but it again had a against the wall type format with an open back, was rectangular, and cost more than the tank I got even including the shipping and lights! I also love the bow look and this tank has that bow and viewing from 3 sides. (I think this should be on HGTV Designing for the Sexes? LOL)

Well, I got the tank. It arrived in Sacramento last Tuesday but I didn't have time for the delivery until today after 4 (with my son's graduation and all)! My fingers are crossed that everythings OK! When I called to confirm the delivery time the lady asked how many pieces and then said is that an aquarium, it's huge! LOL. I also picked up a power compact light last weekend from craigslist for it and some replacement bulbs. My son is on a school trip today too, I hope my picking him up won't be at the same time as the tank delivery!

Things are on a roll! I'll take pictures of the actual tank when it comes . Ahem, DH is having friends over tomorrow for the World Cup. Wonder how much fireworks I'll get when the boxes come in tonight. Well, the tank will definitely match all the cherry furniture, and it will mean that I'll get rid of some other tanks. LOL. and it will match the dining room furniture too.

After everything's set up I'll be putting my other tanks and equipment up for sale (that I don't use for the new tank) .

I'm so excited and even though I have to pay for the new tank, I know I did the right thing (well DH would think getting rid of all the fish would be a good option too, but I don't want to do that!)

I've attached a picture of the tank in the advertisement.

Tina
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member Greg Richardson's Avatar

Default Re: Tina's Show Tank Journey

Beautifuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuul!!! That as a very nice tank tand.
    Does he know the price? LOL!

About selling your other stuff..............

What happns when they pair up? Gong to let nature take it's course in community tank?

If not you might think about storing some of those tanks and equipment.

Tina, keep us posted, should be fun!
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

( <----Tina and DH )

Like I said ~ Have plenty of room here woman Having said that:

CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW TANK!!

Tina you must be so excited! Take pics as you go along and if you need any help call me ~ I'm there ~

Marie ~

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Richardson
    Beautifuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuul!!! That as a very nice tank tand.
    Does he know the price? LOL!
    NO he does not!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Richardson

About selling your other stuff..............

What happns when they pair up? Gong to let nature take it's course in community tank?

If not you might think about storing some of those tanks and equipment.
    LOL, I still have a couple of 29 and 27 gallon tanks. One 29 has my red/white pair in it already. I just don't need the medium size tanks or have the space for them or the time to keep them as clean as I like.

Tina

Quote Originally Posted by Kindredspirit
    [CENTER]

( <----Tina and DH )

Like I said ~ Have plenty of room here woman
    Well Marie,

You remember that stand you got from me? That 60 gallon fits that stand! *hint* *hint* LOL. And I have Kenny's rams in my bow and it makes them look great (would probably make a nice african cichlid tank too ).

I think this is the right thing to do, I don't have room for a fish room and making my house into a fish room just isn't cutting it. . Got the arguement from DH that we need to live there too, so I need to reduce the number of tanks.

Tina
    Last edited by tpl*co; 06-08-2006 at 03:41 PM.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Kenny's Discus's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Tina's Show Tank Journey

Hello Tina - have fun setting up this beautiful tank of yours. I'm so looking forward to seeing fish swimming in this new tank of yours. And if I guess right, let me know when you need to get rid of this 130g when you'll be upgrading it to a 250g or something next year......LOL

(DH will come into the picture soon...)

:-)

Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by loverboy
    Hello Tina - have fun setting up this beautiful tank of yours. I'm so looking forward to seeing fish swimming in this new tank of yours. And if I guess right, let me know when you need to get rid of this 130g when you'll be upgrading it to a 250g or something next year......LOL

(DH will come into the picture soon...)

:-)

Kenny
    Now, now Kenny .

No, this is the biggest tank I'll get. It took a lot of measuring, staring at the space, shopping around at LFS with my tape measure. Surfing Craigslist, ebay and other places for ideas. Debating on the proper size tank for everybody and coming up with the balance of what would look best in the space and what would be a happy medium to make the room look balanced and not just a room with a fish tank (with beautiful fish swimming in it, LOL). Looking at the equipment I had on hand and what could be reused.

LOL, I belong to the local aquarium society (I'm a board member) and I've turned down good deals on other tanks too because they wouldn't fit the spaces I have or match the furniture I have, so I'm doing pretty good on the restraint part . Your Snow leopard male and his red/white girl still have their breeding tank though (and I have another breeder tank when I finally don't use it for quarantine).

I'll probably need a step stool though to clean this tank though! LOL

Tina

Tina

Quote Originally Posted by tpl*co
    No, this is the biggest tank I'll get.
    Tina
    Yeah? Famous last words ...
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

*sigh*

Well they came to deliver my tank. But it has to stay on the truck for now. They sent a glass tank, stand, and canopy, all 185 pounds of it, in a truck without a lift gate and one person!

Errr, I had to see the box stay on the truck and have them reschedule delivery on a truck with a lift gate .

Tomorrow is another day. Or if they can't get it on the truck with the lift gate, next week .

(common sense isn't common )

Tina

Registered Member

Wow...that's a beautiful tank Tina! Boy I'da thrown a hissy in the driveway watching them drive away with my tank! LOL

you don't have brothers,cousins,anybody to call and help,i will call everybody i knew to help me get that tank in my house!!! GOOD LUCK!!! IF I LIVE CLOSE TO YOU I WOULD HELP YOU GET THAT TANK IN YOUR HOUSE!!!
    It is easier to do a job right than to explain why you didn't

by bennyblanco

LOL, I'll wait for them to get it off the truck, if they break it getting it off the truck they'll have to replace it, If I break it then I'm SOL. Especially since it was a huge box (they boxed everything in one box) and the truck bed was around 4 feet up! (it was an 18 wheeler type truck). I couldn't believe they loaded it on the truck thinking one person could get it off.

It was hard to see that box go away without knowing what's in it or what condition the tank is in over the journey though.

Tina

Aw Tina!!! What a bummer.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

it was so big with the stand etc. all in one big shipment, the dispatcher prolly assumed it was going to a commercial place with a loading dock, especially if it was sent on an 18-wheeler. still, they shoulda called and checked. they dont like having to deliver twice and only getting paid once, so the pain is a little bit shared, if thats any consolation.

enjoy the new tank! looking forward to seeing the pics!

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast