AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Tina's Show Tank Journey

Default Re: Tina's Show Tank Journey

With out a glass top, the tank will pump out a lot of condensation on your lights, the vent holes may not be enough to let the moisture escape w/o it settling on your lights. Are your endcaps water proof? If they are than you wouldn't have to worry about it. If it's not you might need to mount a hood fan in there. You could probably mount your light between the vent holes.

Personally, I'd prefer to have the whole back panel removed, it'll be easier to manage for airline tubing and electrical cords. Especially if you're going to use canister filters, it might be a little difficult to manuever the intake and out take hoses.
    Last edited by greyhoundfan; 06-10-2006 at 12:29 PM.

No Larry, it's glass.

Greyhound fan, I was thinking of that but it has 2 doors on either side attached to the back panel. I was thinking of making the single hole bigger though. Another thing is that the door closest to the damage isn't closing completely either (touch doors). Could this mean the stand is warped or has more damage than is showing (which is bad enough)? I was thinking since it is in the back is this a job a little gorilla glue and a few screws could fix or is it more involved? It also has a few dents on the trim that I was thinking some wood filler? Is the damage in the back bad enough that it may not support the tank?

Also my PC fixture has fans, I don't know if it'll have enough space to put the legs on though. It is a current USA fixture, do you know if it has waterproof endcaps?

Tina

Real Name
    Stud Muffin

Hopefully the outfit you bought this setup from is giving you a BIG price reduction. It sounds, and looks like the stand took a hell of a beating, plus the issue with the door not closing properly....I'd be pissed right off!!

As for the back panel repairs, you might be able to put some screws into it to pull it back into place(it'll never be 100% though, damage like that is impossible to fix properly without replacing the panel.) it depends on whats BEHIND the damage. The screws would need something solid to grab onto.
    The damage to the moulding itself could be repaired...how well depends on the skill of who's doing the repairing.
    The dents in the moulding...if your happy with wood filler, then thats the easiest solution...if it gets wet though, it might not be a long term fix
    The door that wont close....hard to say what the problem is without seeing it first hand.

All said and done, the back panel is an easy fix if your capable of replacing it. The rest....depends on skill level, and how fussy you are with the final results.

Truthfully, if this was my situation....If the people your dealing with wont replace the stand, I'd take it to a cabinet shop and have it fixed properly, and forward the bill.

Tony

Thanks Tony, I was thinking the same thing, the seller offered me $100 for the damage, but I don't think that's near enough to cover the damage . Here's the picture of the light fixture I got on top of the tank. It is covering most of the opening! (Yeah, I know, never get the accessories before the tank arrives but I got a good deal on the lights and it seemed from the dimensions it would fit, also it had the wattage I needed). Now, if I use this light and the canopy how am I supposed to access the water? What types of lights should I be using on this tank? I wanted it to be planted . Unless I don't use the canopy at all? Then that would look funny?

(I noticed I interupted my cat when I snapped the picture, LOL!)

Tina
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Stud Muffin

Quote Originally Posted by tpl*co
    the seller offered me $100 for the damage, but I don't think that's near enough to cover the damage
    Nope...if I was repairing it(properly), Id charge you three times that.

Now, if I use this light and the canopy how am I supposed to access the water?
    Simple...you dont!
    If thats the fixture you want to use, you'll have to remove the canopy and the light to access the water.
    I'm not familiar with all the latest lights and fixtures available for a planted tank, so I cant really give you any suggestions for what might fit.

Tony

if i was you i'll return the canopy,talk to the seller see if it can happen but act really pissed off dont be nice you might get a new canopy and money back for the little problem you have. GOOD LUCK
    It is easier to do a job right than to explain why you didn't

by bennyblanco

Quote Originally Posted by tpl*co
    the seller offered me $100 for the damage
    its odd that the seller would offer you anything for damages obviously caused by the carrier.

it makes my eyebrows go up actually because if the seller put in a claim against the carrier (which would be a natural given the nature of the damages) he would claim a much higher amount than $100, as tony rightly points out, it would cost much more than that to make it right.

did the seller tell you that he signed a waiver or some other disclaimer from the shipping company indicating that the carrier was not responsible for any damage to the merchandise enroute?

btw: once you fill that gorgeous tank with water, i would be very interested to know how much distortion you get from the rounded end. i returned a glass bowed tank three months ago because of it. it looked fine in the store, but once the water was in it...whoa!

tina, good luck with getting your justice. fight the good fight my dear

Registered Member Greg Richardson's Avatar

Tina. Call the dealership. Tell them to get a new piece out here NOW!
    You are not going to spend your time which is worth money, nor more stress, hoping the one you get to repair it does a satisfactory job.

Let's say you went the repair route............
    If he doesn't do it right then what?

You live with it because you tell yourself that's good enough and I want to get my fish in there and it won't bother me.

Well..........Down the road you are sitting in your living room saying to yourself I can't believe I let those CLOWNS talk me into getting it repaired instead of sending me a new one.

When you put yourself in the repair position who is going to take liability for it not being done right?

Think about the consequences.

You are now arguing with the original clowns that sent you damaged goods AND the repair person.

The clowns tell you hey we are done with you. We offered to pay for the repair and you accepted the money for original repair work.

So now you are dealing with the repair person.

Why put yourself in that position?

Make the ones responsible bring you the new piece.

Registered Member

Tina,
    Two things;
    1. The panel damage was caused by something INSIDE the cabinet. What was in there? If nothing was in there that would certainly indicate to me that the damage was done prior to shipping.
    2. Is your light longer than the door in the cap? If not simply screw the light to the door.

WOW! That cat is HUGE! And does not look very happy about that tank being in front of his/her play stand! lol

Amber
    Amber
    Proud single working mother of three.

Quote Originally Posted by lhforbes12
    The panel damage was caused by something INSIDE the cabinet.
    i disagree, fragments like that can take on that appearance from an external strike; besides that would not account for the other scrapes on on the outside panels

Real Name
    Stud Muffin

I was going to disagree with you tim....but after I had another look at the picture...I believe your right. And....now that Ive RE-thought the whole thing....If that cabinet is built the way I suspect it is....There's NO WAY I would repair that panel with screws...IT NEEDS TO BE REPLACED! Again...if that cabinet is built the way I think it is(poorly) now that its damaged, it has very little stuctural integrity.

It also explains why the door doesnt close properly...

Tony

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Tina this is BS! Call them and have them send you A WHOLE NEW UNIT! And someone to pack up the old one!

You should not be trippin on this crap! Repair this ...replace that ~ Hell No!

Hell I will come over and call them for you and have a new one shipped within 24 hours ~ let me know!

Marie ~

Registered Member

Tony and Tim,
    I was about to tell you both that you don't have a clue and that you are arguing with a master cabinet maker... and then I looked at the picture again. If it had been hit on the outside the edge banding most certainly would have come out with the plywood... but the edge banding is wrapped around the panel (something quite new to me that they now have machines capable of doing this) so I guess I am forced to agree. Also note that there are no strechers on the kick. Hmmmmm, they are putting quite a lot of faith in a 2" strecher keeping a 4" apron plumb, especially given that it is carrying so much weight.

Tina,
    Could you take a picture of that corner from the inside of the cabinet showing the floor too?

Registered Member

Oooops, the first was the wrong picture. Here's the right one

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast