AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue Rams

Registered Member

Talking Blue Rams

I have doing some research on these fish. I don't wish to keep them in the same tank as my Discus. I do want to try my hand at breeding them.

What I need to know is :

Where is the best place to get some? (not the lfs I hope)
    Is their life span truely 1 to 3 years?
    Does ph matter or is it a water hardness issue?
    Brian

Default Re: Blue Rams

There are breeders you could get them from. I think there are a few people here that breed them. I usually just get some from the lfs myself.

Yes.. life span is 1-3 yrs.

Rams are pretty sensitive little fishies. They like soft water and lower pH and you'd probably get better breeding with these parameters but like any fish, they can adapt to live in a different pH and if the water is too hard, eggs probably wont hatch, but there are things you can do about this too.

Amber
    Amber
    Proud single working mother of three.

Registered Member

Brian,
    I got some very nice ones off of AquaBid. Hardness and pH both matter if you want to breed them, conditions need to be pretty much the same as for breeding discus. They are not at all difficult to get to breed but are often difficult to raise the young. They lay eggs on a flat surface, or dig a pit in the substrate (this is where mine prefer to lay their eggs, but my substrate is SM so it's easy for them to move it). BBS will sometimes work as a first food, if not use infusoria. The parents can either be typical cichlids, or more often, terrible parents.

Registered Member

What ya know the lfs here sells them butt the price steep at 9.98 a piece. Dont think Ill be buying there.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by BIGFOOT
    What ya know the lfs here sells them butt the price steep at 9.98 a piece. Dont think Ill be buying there.
    Generally at an lfs they are about that price. It depends on the lfs. I dont normally see them for less than 8.

Amber
    Amber

Registered Member

That is what I was expecting was 6 to 8 dollars.
    Brian

I second all the info about kh and pH. I have paid $9 for blue microphageous ramerzi (blue rams) and $15 for the yellows. These were about as nice as I have seen. Got all from the lfs. But I kept having problems with bloat and eventually swim bladder. I did not know about salt and don't know if that would have helped.

Michael

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Hey Brian ~

I love your Rams! I have German Blue Rams ~ they came from Kenny who is also a member here on Sd ~ I am not sure if he ships or what but he goes by Loverboy here ~

And if you go to Tankmates Sec I have a thread in which Kenny posted some of his as well as the parents I think ....to these ~

hth~

Marie ~
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyG
    I second all the info about kh and pH. I have paid $9 for blue microphageous ramerzi (blue rams) and $15 for the yellows. These were about as nice as I have seen. Got all from the lfs. But I kept having problems with bloat and eventually swim bladder. I did not know about salt and don't know if that would have helped.

Michael

I have never had that problem before but recently I bought 1m - 2f gold rams and two of them (1m-1f) both died after getting really bloated. I tried epsom and prazi.. nothing helped. Did not have a chance to try something for bacterial. These were bought at an lfs. Odd....

Amber
    Amber

Registered Member

Talking Re: Blue Rams

Alright,alright all ready you are makeing me jealous big time.

I WANT SOME RAMS. WA WA WA WA !!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh nice rams by the way.
    Brian

Registered Member

Ahem! That's actually Mikrogeophagus ramirezi <hiding>

Registered Member

Talking Re: Blue Rams

These are the ones I want. I would like to get as wild caught or f-0. If possible does any one where to get them?
    Brian

Rams are also very sensitive to Nitrate. My LFS guy insists that they are harder to keep than Discus. I think they are equally as demanding of water quality.
    Connie

Quote Originally Posted by lhforbes12
    Ahem! That's actually Mikrogeophagus ramirezi <hiding>
    Both spellings .. although Mikey spelled it way wrong lol... but both miKro and miCro are accepted. Its all personal preference. Its the same with Betta. I spell it Betta which is "correct" imo.. but beta is also accepted.

Amber
    Amber

Quote Originally Posted by poconogal
    Rams are also very sensitive to Nitrate. My LFS guy insists that they are harder to keep than Discus. I think they are equally as demanding of water quality.
    Connie
    With my experience with rams, discus are more forgiving about water quality. And I agree on the fact of them being harder to keep.

And whoever said up ther ethat they want F0's, they'll probably be paying a pretty penney or 2 for them...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast