AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue Rams

Registered Member

Default Re: Blue Rams

Quote Originally Posted by Clay
    With my experience with rams, discus are more forgiving about water quality. And I agree on the fact of them being harder to keep.

And whoever said up ther ethat they want F0's, they'll probably be paying a pretty penney or 2 for them...

I aint Scared!!!!!!!!

Just kidding.
    Brian

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Kenny's Discus's Avatar

Hi Brian - just a thought...contact Al. (brewmaster15, owner of SD here) I'm not sure if he's selling them but he has the type of rams that you're looking for. And I think he does shipping also...

hth,
    Kenny

spelingg - I have enuff troble just feading them!lol

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyG
    spelingg - I have enuff troble just feading them!lol

Why?
    Brian

Trying to be funny - thats all - guess I'll need to work on it!

No problems feeding -

Registered Member

I guess I didnt read it close enough now I get it. lol
    Brian

Registered Member

We have both Blue and Golden Rams! They are very cute, especially the Blue Rams, as the male and female are the perfect married couple and hardly ever attack each other. Anyway, we have tried breeding Rams, and didn't have much success with the fish raising the eggs so we hand raise them ourselves now. This is how we go about breeding and raising them...

The 4 steps of Breeding & Raising Rams:
    1) Getting Rams to breed
    We found the best thing is a large water change ~20% and some substrate cleaning and disturbance. They seem to like a fresh bit of sand to dig in. We keep our pH at 6.6 and our hardness at < 3 dGH. To do this, when we add new water to the tank we filter the tap water through 2 water softening pillows. This is slow but it makes tap water very soft and it saves the pillow from getting clogged with tank debris and growing bacteria. We add ~ 1 dessert spoon of aquarium salt per 10L and 1/4 tsp of discus buffer and 1/8th tsp of "pH down" per 10L. Also, dechlorinator, etc is added.

2) Removing eggs from tank
    The Rams make a little ditch and lay their eggs in the sand. We scoop the eggs off the sand right after they have laid them. Their mating lasts only ~2hrs. We scoop the eggs out with a large tablespoon. The eggs are put into distilled or demineralized water in a 1L plastic container with an airstone. (Nb. some Rams are good parents so you might want to leave the eggs the first time they lay. If you do this, leave a light on in the room so there is some light on in the tank. This should help the Rams defend the eggs)

3) Getting the eggs to hatch
    In the 1L container add 0.125ml of Multicure (malachite green, meth blue & acraflavine). Re-dose every 12 hrs until fish are swimming around. This works a treat!

4) Raising your Rams
    The egg sac will last for about 4-5 days. Once the Rams are gathering around the surface, it's probably time to start feeding them. We feed our Rams with green water, liquid fry food and hard boiled egg yolk (crushed). Use very dilute only, can drop solution into the crowd of fry. You can also paint the edges of their container with the egg yolk solution and let it dry, then fill up with water so the fry can eat the crusted yolk. Make sure you change their water every 12 hrs but be sure to use the same kind of water that you started with.

As they get bigger, move on to other foods like micro wormand baby brine shrimp.

Hope this helps!

Registered Member

Thanks for the info Mill this helps alot. Now I just need some fish. lol
    Brian

Registered Member

No probs..good luck with finding some Rams! Are they really that rare over there? They are quite common here in Australia (or at least Brisbane) and can be found in almost any fish shop..

I've always had good luck with rams. I think the key is stable water conditions (sound familiar?). My gold rams always seemed a bit more sensitive, but it could have also been the source (mine came from an LFS). I had some wild blues for a while that were fun, they spawned multiple times but I never raised the fry.

I've had a lot of success spawning rams in recent years, but I never tried my hand at raising fry because I'm usually busy with angels or something. I don't do anything special... I keep the water clean and warm, feed them well, and they will pair up and spawn. My water is pH 7.6 - 7.8, but they didn't have any problems hatching wrigglers. They disappeared soon after, though.

Healthy rams is key -- start with good stock and that will save you a lot of money and headache. The ones Marie posted look amazing! They're very deep-bodied and colorful. Kenny, maybe I need some rams

Ryan

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Smith
    The ones Marie posted look amazing! They're very deep-bodied and colorful. Kenny, maybe I need some rams

Ryan

They are? Well Thanks Ryan ~ coming from you that is real special ~ Yep Kenny wld be the one!

Marie ~

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Kenny's Discus's Avatar

Don't mean to hi-jack here but thank you Ryan and Marie. I'll love to send these rams out to anyone interested but the dilema is that I don't know how to ship...yet. :-)

Thanks,
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by loverboy
    I'll love to send these rams out to anyone interested but the dilema is that I don't know how to ship...yet. :-)

Thanks,
    Kenny

YOU?

You mean to tell me YOU do not know how to do something? WoW ~ go figure ~ and you are my HERO too ~

Do you want me to drive down to the City and show you how? O.k.a.y. O.k.a.y..........if you insist Kenny ~

xo ~

Registered Member

I think the key is stable water conditions (sound familiar?). Yep Discus

From what I have read so far is they need similar conditions as Discus for breeding. Like soft water,temp in the mid to upper 80's and they Nitrate sensitive.

Would anyone like to comment on the water conditions that they keep their rams at?
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by BIGFOOT
    Would anyone like to comment on the water conditions that they keep their rams at?

Brian I keep mine in the same water as my discus as they are in the same tank It is at times like they are invisible to each other ~ strange....

Marie ~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast