AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biological Media Options

Default Biological Media Options

Was wanting to do the preliminary research into setting up some inexpensive central filtration systems/ bio towers. Building wet/dry's aren't a problem, but I was wondering about the best way (i.e. most bang for the buck) to go for media, since these central systems will probably be very large (i.e. I'll be using 55 gallon barrels as the bio/trickle towers).
    I have several wet/drys (some commercial and some home made by me) on individual tanks with 5-10 gallons of plastic bio-balls. But the bio balls are so expensive for large applications such as what I want to do. I was wondering about other possible options for media.
    1). If bioballs are the best type of media, what makes them so perfect (which, understanding these properties will hopefully help me know what to look for in other media options)? Is it the rigidness, and keeping each individual "pin" away from each other? I understand it must be surface area, and it's ability to clean itself, but does anyone understand what attributes bioballs have that are so desirable?
    2). Is Sintered Glass the best "bang for the buck" option out there for surface area to cost ratio? I've heard that you have to keep this media very clean to work properly, so I'm not sure this would be the way to go for me. But making smaller central systems would be advantageous for several reasons, if the huge surface area would outweigh the gunking up problems.
    3). I've seen the white "Bio-Fill" media, the white PVC shaved ribbon, which looks like a white haybale, and it's rather inexpensive compared to bio balls, but does the surface area to price work out the cheapest?
    4). What about media that is not designed for aquariums. I have read about using shotgun wads, plastic pot scrubbers, rolled up bug netting, the foam plugs from the centers of hydrosponges, etc. Any thoughts on these, or any others? What attributes would these have that would make them good media, or bad?
    5). Should I have some parts of the media submerged, is there some certain types of media that are better for submerged application, compared to trickle/drip type application?
    Any education, tips or advice you can give me of the best way to go for large filtration media would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Lance Krueger

Registered Member

Default Re: Biological Media Options

Lance,
    I've never used them but I have read many reports of people using the plastic scrubbies bought at the Dollar Store. They are supposed to work very well and are extremely cheap too. And yes surface area and keeping the media apart for good water flow are both important, but I'm sure you already know that.

Larry

Registered Member

Benificial bacteria grow on any types of media. Make sure the media is porous enough to allow water to pass through and that it does not allow any type of toxic chemicals or metals to leak through.

Do not know if this will help but I have seen this one and it works very well....DC

http://www.fellowshipofthefish.com/f...topic.php?t=39

Quote Originally Posted by Lance_Krueger
    Was wanting to do the preliminary research into setting up some inexpensive central filtration systems/ bio towers. Building wet/dry's aren't a problem, but I was wondering about the best way (i.e. most bang for the buck) to go for media, since these central systems will probably be very large (i.e. I'll be using 55 gallon barrels as the bio/trickle towers).
    I have several wet/drys (some commercial and some home made by me) on individual tanks with 5-10 gallons of plastic bio-balls. But the bio balls are so expensive for large applications such as what I want to do. I was wondering about other possible options for media.
    1). If bioballs are the best type of media, what makes them so perfect (which, understanding these properties will hopefully help me know what to look for in other media options)? Is it the rigidness, and keeping each individual "pin" away from each other? I understand it must be surface area, and it's ability to clean itself, but does anyone understand what attributes bioballs have that are so desirable?
    2). Is Sintered Glass the best "bang for the buck" option out there for surface area to cost ratio? I've heard that you have to keep this media very clean to work properly, so I'm not sure this would be the way to go for me. But making smaller central systems would be advantageous for several reasons, if the huge surface area would outweigh the gunking up problems.
    3). I've seen the white "Bio-Fill" media, the white PVC shaved ribbon, which looks like a white haybale, and it's rather inexpensive compared to bio balls, but does the surface area to price work out the cheapest?
    4). What about media that is not designed for aquariums. I have read about using shotgun wads, plastic pot scrubbers, rolled up bug netting, the foam plugs from the centers of hydrosponges, etc. Any thoughts on these, or any others? What attributes would these have that would make them good media, or bad?
    5). Should I have some parts of the media submerged, is there some certain types of media that are better for submerged application, compared to trickle/drip type application?
    Any education, tips or advice you can give me of the best way to go for large filtration media would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Lance Krueger
    22 Planted Tanks My Projects are located at ThePlantedTank.net*Sliding Glass Top*CO2 Reactor*Portable UV Sterilizer*PVC CO2 Manifold*Water Filtration/Storage/Distribution*37G, 46G & 55G Drilled w/PVC Heater/Reactor Manifold*110G Sumped w/Eheim 2215s & Magnum HOTs*My Fish Room*

There are lots of materials - some people use plastic toy army men - but bio balls, sintered glass, and others have kinda established themselves. I think using any of the current preferred materials will accomplish the task at a level high enough for a successful tank (assuming that is your goal here). It's your choice.

Now if for personal reasons you wish to discover what material works absolutely better than any other - sounds like the making of some cool experimenting,

Michael

Registered Member

Try using some Lava Rock

Cliff,
    Do you have any personal experience with Lava Rock? I've heard of people using it, but the thing I've heard about it is that due to low water (i.e. oxygen) flow through the center of the lava rock, it tends to go anaerobic. Which supposedly eats up some of the nitrate (i.e. acts like a de-nitrator), but wastes a lot of aerobic area for breaking down ammonia and nitrite. Any thoughts? Maybe buy it more crushed up more than the egg-sized chunks? Maybe would have better flow? Any personal experience would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Diablocanine,
    Yeah, I actually saw that one a week or so ago. From what I understand, he's using the 55 gallon barrel as his sump, and cut a hole just smaller than the top of a 5-gallon bucket whose lip is sitting on the top edge of the lid of the 55 gallon drum. So, the 5 gallon bucket hangs in the center of the drum from the lid, and is filled with bio balls with holes drilled in the bottom of the bucket, with filter floss on the top where the pipe feeds the water from the tanks.
    I know how to build the filters, I'm just looking for cheap ways of filling a whole 55 gallon drum with media that is good for use as a trickle filter. But man, filling one with bio balls would get really expensive!

Thanks for everyone's advice. I had actually heard about the plastic army men before. :-) Any other thoughts?
    Lance Krueger

What ever is on sale.
    110gal High-Tech Planted Discus
    65gal Malawi Community
    55gal BBB Discus Grow-Out
    55gal BBB Discus

Dissident,
    I agree!!! But the cheapest I can find bio balls for is $5.25 per gallon. So, for a 55 gallon drum, that would be nearly $300 for media per drum. And I'm needing several of these. So it adds up quick!
    Lance

Lava rock (the bigger stuff 1-2" size) has a large surface area, and thats all you really need is the suface area for bacteria colonies to grow.

100% Polyester pillow stuffing would work well but will clog since it is really used for trapping particles in the water.
    110gal High-Tech Planted Discus
    65gal Malawi Community
    55gal BBB Discus Grow-Out
    55gal BBB Discus

Banned

Hi The ponding aspect of the hobby use very large TT's for bio-conversion. Any inert material is fine as media, but the more surface area the better. Lava rock isn't the best material as the inner pores clog very quickly with sloughed of bacteria and then they become anaerobic as you suspected. Sintered glass type products also clog easily.

Bio-balls, Japanese Matting, Matala Matting, Kaldness are probably the best medias but are more expensive. These material are non-compactible and have the proper void spaces for O2 and water flow. Silt and dead bacteria are also easily shaken off.

Scrubbies (which I use), Strapping tape (which I also use to keep the scrubbies loose), bio-bale, open pore foam, Army men, hair curlers, garden netting, synthetic floor polishing pads, plastic forks and knives and any other inert item that you can think of will work but they won't give the bio surface of the other material and may compact.

I empty my 2 TT's out twice a year and rinse off any excess bio-film from the scrubbies. It takes a lot of media to look after 21- 24'' NH3 producing koi in 5000 gallons of water. I use Matala matting in a small TT on my 175

HTH Regards Graham

Actually, he is using 110 gallons for the sump, over 300 gallons total. I would think you could use it as a model for additional applications, i.e., 600 gallons = twice the bio balls, etc....DC

Quote Originally Posted by Lance_Krueger
    Diablocanine,
    Yeah, I actually saw that one a week or so ago. From what I understand, he's using the 55 gallon barrel as his sump, and cut a hole just smaller than the top of a 5-gallon bucket whose lip is sitting on the top edge of the lid of the 55 gallon drum. So, the 5 gallon bucket hangs in the center of the drum from the lid, and is filled with bio balls with holes drilled in the bottom of the bucket, with filter floss on the top where the pipe feeds the water from the tanks.
    I know how to build the filters, I'm just looking for cheap ways of filling a whole 55 gallon drum with media that is good for use as a trickle filter. But man, filling one with bio balls would get really expensive!
    Lance Krueger
    Last edited by diablocanine; 06-16-2006 at 01:41 AM.
    22 Planted Tanks My Projects are located at ThePlantedTank.net*Sliding Glass Top*CO2 Reactor*Portable UV Sterilizer*PVC CO2 Manifold*Water Filtration/Storage/Distribution*37G, 46G & 55G Drilled w/PVC Heater/Reactor Manifold*110G Sumped w/Eheim 2215s & Magnum HOTs*My Fish Room*

Registered Member

[QUOTE=Lance_Krueger]Cliff,
    Do you have any personal experience with Lava Rock? I've heard of people using it, but the thing I've heard about it is that due to low water (i.e. oxygen) flow through the center of the lava rock, it tends to go anaerobic. Which supposedly eats up some of the nitrate (i.e. acts like a de-nitrator), but wastes a lot of aerobic area for breaking down ammonia and nitrite. Any thoughts? Maybe buy it more crushed up more than the egg-sized chunks? Maybe would have better flow? Any personal experience would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Lance,
    I have use the lava rock in a 75 gallon wet/dry filter, the size of the lava
    rock were about not larger than a quarter. You can purchase these at
    orchid farms. The drawback of using the lava rock is the brake down of the
    actual rock, as small chips and fragments would ended up at the bottom of
    the filter and making its way back up to the aquarium, this was eleminate by
    an addition prefilter just before the return pump. This is more bang for the buck but the maintenance is much higher.

Cliff

Cliff,
    Thanks for that additional info. Very helpful and informative! That's the kind of info I need in making this decision. Pluses and minuses are always helpful!
    Lance Krueger

Diablocanine,
    Yes, you're right. He did have two 55 gallon barrels side by side, with a large PVC siphon between the two.
    Hey, I also really appreciated your info about the sliding glass tops. That's actually how I found the other guy's central sump info, on Fellowship of the Fish. I happened to be at Home Depot last night, and looked around some to see if they had the same channel material (for sliding screen doors, right?), but I couldn't find it, or they didn't carry it. I'll make a trip to Lowe's some time with all the helpful info you provided, and see if I can find that channel material.
    Thanks,
    Lance Krueger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast