ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Diatom Filters

Default Opinions on Diatom Filters

I am thinking of getting a Diatom filter for my 72 gallon planted Discus tank and would like to hear opinions from anyone who uses one in a planted tank.

Registered Member

Default Re: Opinions on Diatom Filters

Lora,
    I have 2 Vortex diatom filters (XL and DLL) and I would not be without them, especially for my planted tanks. Using them for a day after a wc is why my tanks no longer have any algae. But an even better reason IMo is because they filter to 1 micron which is small enough to filter out even some bacteria, and pretty much all other parasites. Additionally they make the water so clear that in an acrylic tank it can actually look like the fish are swimming in air. The Vortex are very difficult to get the hang of though, and it takes some patience to learn how to correctly use them. For me it was worth the learning curve. For you a DL would probably be large enough for your 72 gallon tank.

Larry

For me, I can't say enough 'bout them...ppl here probably tired of my supporting Vortex Diatom Filters....lol.....have used them for many yrs & wouldn't be without one as long as I have fish...the priming may be a pia, but it's worth it, & like Larry, I've been thru the learning curve & do not have a problem with them....don't even have to use'm often now, but when it's needed it has to be there...I found a flower "vase", at a grocery store, plastic, with a hook on it that can be used to prime them....hang it "in" the tank, put the inlet, & outlet in the vase, with water, add powder, start'm up...when water is clear, ease the "vase" down, off the plastic hoses, & "voila" they are in & running.....also, there is a connector, holds the inlet & outlet plastic tubes together, turn valve, shuts off the tubes in the tank, but keeps the filter running & you can pick it up & change tanks with it running, then just turn valve again.....so easy....JMO, Dottie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the feedback, I read some earlier posts that Diatom filters were not good for planted tanks as they remove nutrients necessary for good plant growth. But on the other hand, they sound like it would be good for the fish by removing parasites and bacteria and my fish are much more imporant than the plants. I think I'll get one and give it a try. Lora.

Quote Originally Posted by lora
    Thanks for the feedback, I read some earlier posts that Diatom filters were not good for planted tanks as they remove nutrients necessary for good plant growth. But on the other hand, they sound like it would be good for the fish by removing parasites and bacteria and my fish are much more imporant than the plants. I think I'll get one and give it a try. Lora.
    Lora, I had one of those horrid Vortex filters years ago. It was the most annoying thing I have ever used. I can't tell you how many times it leaked the diatomaceous earth INTO MY TANK. Definitely NOT user friendly. After a few months, I ended up stomping on the darn thing, literally. It was constantly problematic and I've heard this from others also. I fought with Vortex for several months about that hunk of junk (sorry, Larry, I know you LOVE yours ). They would not refund my money, would not give a partial credit, did not give a dam* that their product was so horrid. Customer service? Vortex doesn't know the meaning of the words.

I got a H.O.T (Hang on Tank) Magnum that works fantastic (yeah, Larry, I know you hate Marineland, but... ) with its one micron cartridge to polish the water, and it can be used as a regular filter with media in it also. IMO, I'd skip the Vortex.

Connie

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by poconogal
    Lora, I had one of those horrid Vortex filters years ago. It was the most annoying thing I have ever used. I can't tell you how many times it leaked the diatomaceous earth INTO MY TANK. Definitely NOT user friendly. After a few months, I ended up stomping on the darn thing, literally. It was constantly problematic and I've heard this from others also. I fought with Vortex for several months about that hunk of junk (sorry, Larry, I know you LOVE yours ). They would not refund my money, would not give a partial credit, did not give a dam* that their product was so horrid. Customer service? Vortex doesn't know the meaning of the words.

I got a H.O.T (Hang on Tank) Magnum that works fantastic (yeah, Larry, I know you hate Marineland, but... ) with its one micron cartridge to polish the water, and it can be used as a regular filter with media in it also. IMO, I'd skip the Vortex.

Connie
    Lora,
    Connie is blonde and it is showing here.
    q~ Hmmmmm Hmmmmm Hmmm q~

Diatom filters do not remove nutrients in any way, whomever told you that doesn't know what they are talking about. This tank gets filtered by a diatom at least once a week

Registered Member

As does this one

Quote Originally Posted by lhforbes12
    Lora,
    q~ Hmmmmm Hmmmmm Hmmm q~
    Larry - So? I was a brunette back then, or possibly a redhead, hmmm. Anyway, blonde now, yes, but BOTTLE BLONDE. It does not count . And how do you know that Lora isn't blonde, too? Then we will have one more female carrying hammers, anvils and whips to get you. Lora, you see why we need to carry hammers, etc. to get Larry? LOL

Now, Lora, did you notice that the proponents of the Vortex horror do say that there is a learning curve... well, you'd best have lots of patience, and don't cringe too much when your whole tank looks white with the earth in it! After a few minutes, the Vortex will clear it out.

BTW, Larry, your 125 is just gorgeous. I love it.

Here Larry, Larry...
    Last edited by poconogal; 07-05-2006 at 01:57 PM.

Well, I ended up ordering one from Pet Smart, and will let you know what I think of it when it comes. I'm not blonde, but can swing a hammer as good as anybody.

If you don't like it, just send it to me!!

The System One Diatom Filter from Aquarium Products is a nice unit. No hoses and it's self priming. Very simple to use.

http://www.aquariumguys.com/pressurefilter.html

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by terps
    The System One Diatom Filter from Aquarium Products is a nice unit. No hoses and it's self priming. Very simple to use.

http://www.aquariumguys.com/pressurefilter.html
    Yep! Too bad it doesn't do a good job though.

Quote Originally Posted by lora
    Well, I ended up ordering one from Pet Smart, and will let you know what I think of it when it comes. I'm not blonde, but can swing a hammer as good as anybody.
    Larry, see that? Lora can swing a hammer as good as anybody... I think you better watch out -- your "fan club" is growing...
    Here Larry Larry

My system one does a great job. Remember diatom filters are only supposed to be used to remove fine particles that your other filters don't catch.

I wish I would have caught this thread earlier. Diatoms are nice to have around for occasional use. I don't know why you would need one after a WC espically after you just added a bunch of ferts. I wuold have went the UV route if you are concerned with algae/bacteria/parasites, they do a much better job and don't cost anywhere near as much to operate. It would just attach to your canister filter and you can put it on a timer to run 6hrs/day.
    UV sterralizers will only effect trace elements but that is easily adjusted by adding more CSM+B
    A good filter should be able to trap any particles in that water that you can see.
    Diatoms are more designed to be a water polisher for show tanks and only need to be ran if you are experiening cloudy water/green water it can help with algae but again it is a lot a work to hook up for something that would only be needed to be ran once in a while, and not as effective as a good UV unit for what you seem to want to use it for.

How many gallons can be ran through it before you have to recharge it again (4hrs/8hrs/16hrs worth of water)? PITA IMO & $$$

Quote Originally Posted by lhforbes12
    Lora,
    q~ Hmmmmm Hmmmmm Hmmm q~

Diatom filters do not remove nutrients in any way, whomever told you that doesn't know what they are talking about. This tank gets filtered by a diatom at least once a week
    Of course they will, try dosing powerded ferts and run your diatom. Calcium Carbonate, Iron Chelete, can be removed with a diatom. However you are only running it once a week and probably not long enough to show many defincies.
    Last edited by Dissident; 07-05-2006 at 10:57 PM.
    110gal High-Tech Planted Discus
    65gal Malawi Community
    55gal BBB Discus Grow-Out
    55gal BBB Discus

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast