ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Diatom Filters

Registered Member

Default Re: Opinions on Diatom Filters

Quote Originally Posted by lhforbes12
    As does this one

Holy hell, I wish I had a nice planted tank like that.. Absolutely Gorgeous Larry.
    Need your taxes done? Ask me I am a Licensed CPA!!!
    Most basic taxes done for $100-$125 including efile!!
    General Accounting and Book Keeping services available too!
    Bill.Eagan@EaganandCompany.com

Registered Member

Oh, back on topic. I had one and loved it. I just found it to be a PITA with getting the siphon going so I went to the magnum HOT filter.
    Need your taxes done? Ask me I am a Licensed CPA!!!
    Most basic taxes done for $100-$125 including efile!!
    General Accounting and Book Keeping services available too!
    Bill.Eagan@EaganandCompany.com

The filter I am using now is a Rena Filstar XP3 that I won along with a 72 gallon bowfront. I used to have a 55 gallon and used a Emperor 400 and 280 and found that the water was much clearer then than it is now using the XP3

Quote Originally Posted by lora
    The filter I am using now is a Rena Filstar XP3 that I won along with a 72 gallon bowfront. I used to have a 55 gallon and used a Emperor 400 and 280 and found that the water was much clearer then than it is now using the XP3
    I use a XP3 on my 65gal, along with a jebo 828 that is just stuffed with filter floss to 'polish' the water. The water in that tank is crystal clear.
    A diatom is only a quick fix, If you are experienceing cloudy water etc. the diatom will remove it for a short amount of time. It will only come back a few days later. Diatom filters will also remove fine organic particles that are important for a healthy and fertile substrate.

Has this 72g been set up for long? Have you just recently added a new population of fish? It could be jsut a bacteria bloom, or is the water green in color?
    If it is just a little hazzy you could be experiencing a mini-cycle, or a bacteria bloom that will go away in time. Monitor NO2 and NO3. If it is free floating particles a little extra filtration would be nice.

I wouldn't jump so fast to say the tank doesn't have enough filtration without knowing what is causing the cloudyish water.
    110gal High-Tech Planted Discus
    65gal Malawi Community
    55gal BBB Discus Grow-Out
    55gal BBB Discus

The filter and tank has been running for about 8 weeks, I used some water from the old tank to fill the new one. I haven't added any new fish. I don't have a problem with algae, the water just looks a little cloudy to me.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by billeagan
    Holy hell, I wish I had a nice planted tank like that.. Absolutely Gorgeous Larry.
    Thanks Bill, that's where your fish will be going in about 4 months

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dissident
    I use a XP3 on my 65gal, along with a jebo 828 that is just stuffed with filter floss to 'polish' the water. The water in that tank is crystal clear.
    A diatom is only a quick fix, If you are experienceing cloudy water etc. the diatom will remove it for a short amount of time. It will only come back a few days later. Diatom filters will also remove fine organic particles that are important for a healthy and fertile substrate.
    Dis, That's nonsense, you've seen my tanks in person, they all get the use of a diatom at least once a week, do they look like they are missing nutrients to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Dissident
    Has this 72g been set up for long? Have you just recently added a new population of fish? It could be jsut a bacteria bloom, or is the water green in color?
    If it is just a little hazzy you could be experiencing a mini-cycle, or a bacteria bloom that will go away in time. Monitor NO2 and NO3. If it is free floating particles a little extra filtration would be nice.

I wouldn't jump so fast to say the tank doesn't have enough filtration without knowing what is causing the cloudyish water.
    Lora,
    Dis is asking this because he wants to know whether you have a bacteria bloom (white cloudy water) or an algal bloom (green) in either case a diatom filter will clean it quickly. btw I agree 100% with Dis about the filtration, your XP3 should be plenty enough filter for that tank. As you can see though I disagree strongly about a diatom filter. I would no longer be without one.

Larry

Registered Member

I use my diatom filter on several tanks and it does such a great job for clean up. I've tried the vortex recharging valve, but thought it stunk and always started leaking water. Here's a picture of what it looks like. Then, I decided to make my own "valve" and bought all the parts at home depot. Simple pvc and ball valves. Perfect, when I want to move the filter to another tank, and not turn the filter off each time. I simply close or open the valves, which is basically doing the job of the original recharging valve. The benefit is, is that I can rest this thing on the top of the tanks.

So, now, does anyone want to order one from me?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

pic of home made recharging valve

Registered Member

another picture of valve, "open" for filtering/polishing

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by kahunabill
    I use my diatom filter on several tanks and it does such a great job for clean up. I've tried the vortex recharging valve, but thought it stunk and always started leaking water. Here's a picture of what it looks like. Then, I decided to make my own "valve" and bought all the parts at home depot. Simple pvc and ball valves. Perfect, when I want to move the filter to another tank, and not turn the filter off each time. I simply close or open the valves, which is basically doing the job of the original recharging valve. The benefit is, is that I can rest this thing on the top of the tanks.

So, now, does anyone want to order one from me?
    Bill,
    I agree with you about the "New and Improved" recharge valve being a hunk of junk. (btw the old un-improved model worked great). I'm ready to buy one!

Registered Member

oh yeah, the tubing on the right side of this valve set up connects to the diatom filter, and the pipes on the left by my beautiful hand goes into the tank. It's set up that way, so that the two ball valves at the left, can close the inflow/outflow, while the ball valve in the center opens/closes also to allow for recharging/recycling of the powder.

voila.
    I wish i could only have made this a bit smaller though.

Registered Member

what does the old recharging valve look like?
    I bought 2 of the new ones, and they both leak.
    They suck in my opinion.

Dis, That's nonsense, you've seen my tanks in person, they all get the use of a diatom at least once a week, do they look like they are missing nutrients to you?
    Your tanks are fine, because you are using a diatom filter the way it is meant to be used. Not as a supplementary filtration system, like the HOB design thing. I bet if you ran your diatom filter 24/7/365 you would notice the difference. A few hours a week is fine to remove algae spores from cleaning the tank and removing excess DOC in the tank.
    I see a Diatom Filter as a maintenance tool, not a permanent fixture to any aquarium. You only use it when you need it.

Lora,
    Dis is asking this because he wants to know whether you have a bacteria bloom (white cloudy water) or an algal bloom (green) in either case a diatom filter will clean it quickly. btw I agree 100% with Dis about the filtration, your XP3 should be plenty enough filter for that tank. As you can see though I disagree strongly about a diatom filter. I would no longer be without one.

Larry
    The diatom would only be a temporary fix, 1-2-3 days and it will have to be ran again. If it is bacteria bloom or green water. That's why my vote would still be for a UV for better control of bacteria/algae/parasites/disease, why remove it once in a while when you can nuke it right out of the water 24/7/365?

If it is just a little cloudy I would not be overly concerned. 8 weeks is still a new tank. If you just cleaned your filter, or clean it too often, or clean the media with hot water, etc.. you are probably just experiencing a bacteria bloom that will correct itself with time. I one had one in a planted tank that lasted 4weeks, just a little cloudy, frequent WC and just letting it take its course worked fine. It may be a good idea to have 2 filters and clean each one every 3 months so one is always 'established'. All of my tanks have at least two filters so in the event that I accidentally kill the beneficial bacteria in one filter there is always one there to take over the job. And one of those filters is just filter floss with a couple 5micron sponges in it to 'polish' the water. With a planted tank you will always have more stuff floating around in the water than with any other tank.
    Last edited by Dissident; 07-06-2006 at 02:12 AM.
    110gal High-Tech Planted Discus
    65gal Malawi Community
    55gal BBB Discus Grow-Out
    55gal BBB Discus

Dissident, you say you only clean your filter once every three months? I'm cleaning mine at least every two weeks. So, is all the "gunk" that builds up inside the filter necessary for good biological filtration? Also, what type of UV filter do you use?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast