AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Opinions on Diatom Filters

Default Re: Opinions on Diatom Filters

Quote Originally Posted by Harriett
    By the way, you can buy a 40 lb bag of DE that works perfectly well for Vortex, etc filters from any pool supply store for under ten bux, enough to last you and your grandchildren for the rest of your lives, instead of the rediculous prices charged by pet stores and online pet stores for small amounts. I agree, Vortex are a real PITA to use even when you understand their 'quirks' but they do a good job. I used a friends' Diatomagic by Second Nature (which you can't buy anymore) and it kicked butt both is ease of use and in effectiveness--I'm looking to buy a System I so I can throw the vortex out the window.
    Harriett
    Harriett, try stomping on it. It will feel even better than throwing it out the window! I stomped on mine, till it was in pieces, about 13 years ago! Mine polished the water beautifully, after spewing the DE all over the tank; I could never get that to stop. So no matter how good a job something does, I figure why struggle with it, if there are alternatives that will give you the same, or close to the same, results? Why make things harder on ourselves?

Connie

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by lora
    So how do you clean it? Just take it apart and rinse?
    Exactly

Registered Member

I couldn't agree more...if I pick up a STRESSOR signal and there's any way to resolve it rather than integrate it, I DO IT. There are enough things I can't fix to also put up with the ones I can but don't.
    I think raising a houseful of teenagers taught me that...or maybe I'm just getting old as dirt. Oh, crap. Enough.

I used a friends' Diatomagic by Second Nature (which you can't buy anymore) and it kicked butt both is ease of use and in effectiveness--I'm looking to buy a System I so I can throw the vortex out the window.
    Harriett
    Don't throw it out the window. Sell it on eBay to some unsuspecting person.

No, maybe throwing it out the window is the kinder thing to do.

Or, you could use it without a bag and diatoms to provide a strong current in your tank.

As I mentioned before, I took mine back. They work OK but are not easy to deal with in my opinion. I'm certain that, with many uses over time, it would seem to be easier to use and become more routine. But there's still the possibility of the hoses disconnecting themselves and leaking your tank water all over the floor, or even emptying much of it out. If you replace the rubber bands, er, sorry, the manufacturer calls them hose clamps, with real hose clamps, you run the risk of distorting the intake and exhaust ports on the Vortex, according to the manufacturer's web site.

I do like the System 1. And it won't automatically self-destruct if you leave it on for over 4 hours. We did that by mistake already and it ran for 7 or so hours. It did not burn up. However, that's not a recommendation to do that, just my experience, and I don't plan on running it that long in any case since it only needs to run a couple of hours to do its job.

I do plan to make a timed outlet on an extension cord to take care of a particular battery charger type I have for power tools to limit the amount of time it can be on. These cheap chargers don't automatically shut off. I plan to use the timer on the System 1 to limit it to 4 hours if I forget to turn it off before then. The timer cost about $5 at Big Lots.

Don

The advantage of the system one is it is so easy to use, that you will actually like using it. It does a great job of polishing the water in just a few hours(depending on tank size).

If you get a System One diatom pressure filter, just remember to remove the jar from the unit immediately after you are done using it. If you don't, the diatom earth can harden around the jar seal and can make it extremely difficult to get the jar off of the filter. Plus the water in the jar will start to really stink.

I couldn't agree more...if I pick up a STRESSOR signal and there's any way to resolve it rather than integrate it, I DO IT. There are enough things I can't fix to also put up with the ones I can but don't.
    I think raising a houseful of teenagers taught me that...or maybe I'm just getting old as dirt. Oh, crap. Enough.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Wow, if anyone is having a difficult time with their vortex and feel the need to destroy it STOP, get a hold of me I'll take it off your hands. Putting a set of Marineland valves (like the ones that come with the Magnum) on the tubing helps; easy to move the diatom from tank to tank while maintaining a siphon; easy to connect/disconnect different lengths of tubing or accessories (gravel cleaner, strainer, etc.). Using the bucket method to charge keeps it from snowing in your tank. Using the faucet adapter for a python locks the tubing to the faucet adapter so it will not blow off under pressure, I connect it to the outside faucet when weather permits. Has anyone put a system one on a european braced acrylic tank? The Diatomagic is (was) an excellent filter for smaller jobs, a shame it is no longer available but the bag could not handle the pressure created by the pump. A point about the Magnum, when using it you are filtering through a porous membrane, when cleaning the membrane it is impossible to return it to new condion, i.e., some pores will stay clogged and more will clog with each use and eventually it will need replaced. When using a diatom, you rinse the dirty filtering media away from the bag. When purchasing DE from a pool store, ensure it is additive free, some even contain chlorine. This is the way to purchase DE though, I am using 6 - 8 cups a week which would cost a fortune at a LFS. I have found Vortex customer support very friendly and responsive with my issues. I too run my diatom after water changes, have learned that it gets quite dirty after running a few hours on a tank that just received a 50% water change. To me, operating a Vortex Diatom is more user friendly than making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.....DC
    22 Planted Tanks My Projects are located at ThePlantedTank.net*Sliding Glass Top*CO2 Reactor*Portable UV Sterilizer*PVC CO2 Manifold*Water Filtration/Storage/Distribution*37G, 46G & 55G Drilled w/PVC Heater/Reactor Manifold*110G Sumped w/Eheim 2215s & Magnum HOTs*My Fish Room*

Wow, diablo, you must really love your Vortex
    But IMO, after spending the money for any product, I don't think anyone should have to make "alterations" so that it works properly. When I purchase something, I expect it to work properly the way it was manufactured. If it doesn't, I send it back. I don't want to fight with a product, but I recognize that others like to fiddle with things, and the Vortex is a good candidate for fiddling. I would have sent mine back, 13 years ago, if Vortex would have allowed it, but back then they had absolutely the worst "customer service" I have ever encountered, anywhere. If I hadn't stomped it to pieces, I would have sent it to you, gladly.

PS - no matter what I did, after several months of use, I could never stop the DE snow in my tank.

Connie
    Last edited by poconogal; 07-15-2006 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by poconogal
    Wow, diablo, you must really love your Vortex
    But IMO, after spending the money for any product, I don't think anyone should have to make "alterations" so that it works properly. When I purchase something, I expect it to work properly the way it was manufactured. If it doesn't, I send it back. I don't want to fight with a product, but I recognize that others like to fiddle with things, and the Vortex is a good candidate for fiddling. I would have sent mine back, 13 years ago, if Vortex would have allowed it, but back then they had absolutely the worst "customer service" I have ever encountered, anywhere. If I hadn't stomped it to pieces, I would have sent it to you, gladly.

PS - no matter what I did, after several months of use, I could never stop the DE snow in my tank.

Connie
    Actually, I do not love my vortex but I love what it does to the water. I hear you about things working properly, but I always try to tweak stuff to make it easier to use and/or do a better job. Heck, I have a lot of stuff in landfills because they did not work or were replaced by DIY stuff......DC
    22 Planted Tanks My Projects are located at ThePlantedTank.net*Sliding Glass Top*CO2 Reactor*Portable UV Sterilizer*PVC CO2 Manifold*Water Filtration/Storage/Distribution*37G, 46G & 55G Drilled w/PVC Heater/Reactor Manifold*110G Sumped w/Eheim 2215s & Magnum HOTs*My Fish Room*

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by poconogal
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!
    You know, just a teeny bit of sensitivity, perhaps fake but well intended, would have been a nice gesture...as it is, I will cope with MY 'old as dirt' issue with only this to bolster me: if you aren't there yet, YOU WILL BE!!!!!

By the way, it wasn't that I had difficulty figuring out how to use the Vortex, I always used the bucket method, and I got very little snow in the tank (after the first round years ago which of course I totally screwed up). It is just SUCH a PITA to set up and get going and clean up that even when I wanted to use it, I couldn't stand the hassle. I couldn't freaking believe how easy and effective that Diatomagic was! I am looking at ebay for cheaper SYstem I sales. I'm too lazy to go through excessive headaches with a piece of equipment that is not user friendly. Part of the definition of quality for me is excellant design which translates to ease of use and maintanence.
    Harriett

You know, just a teeny bit of sensitivity, perhaps fake but well intended, would have been a nice gesture...as it is, I will cope with MY 'old as dirt' issue with only this to bolster me: if you aren't there yet, YOU WILL BE!!!!!

By the way, it wasn't that I had difficulty figuring out how to use the Vortex, I always used the bucket method, and I got very little snow in the tank (after the first round years ago which of course I totally screwed up). It is just SUCH a PITA to set up and get going and clean up that even when I wanted to use it, I couldn't stand the hassle. I couldn't freaking believe how easy and effective that Diatomagic was! I am looking at ebay for cheaper SYstem I sales. I'm too lazy to go through excessive headaches with a piece of equipment that is not user friendly. Part of the definition of quality for me is excellant design which translates to ease of use and maintanence.
    Harriett
    Harriet, I couldn't have said it better... and I am sure dirt is way older than your lively sounding self so you shouldn't have any issues with that ... consider yourself bolstered... BTW, I'm getting there, slowly but surely

Connie

Registered Member

Camaradare in all things is a plus, right?
    Harriett

Camaradare in all things is a plus, right?
    Harriett
    Absolutely - <bolstering, bolstering, bolstering>

I am looking at ebay for cheaper System I sales. I'm too lazy to go through excessive headaches with a piece of equipment that is not user friendly. Part of the definition of quality for me is excellant design which translates to ease of use and maintanence.
    Harriett
    FYI--new you can get them from Big Al's Online for $109.99. Aquariumguys.com matched that price for me. This is just a reference for you since most places sell the System 1 at a much higher price. If the ebay price is close to a new one, with shipping figured in (shipping from aquariumguys.com was about $12 or $13, and many ebay sales have high shipping costs), you might consider the new one. I doubt you'll see one very often and when you do I would expect a lot of bidding competition. There haven't been any in the last 30 days. There was a diatomagic for sale but the reserve price wasn't met. The buy it now price was $80 (shipping costs were not disclosed in the auction), and with the problem someone mentioned with them with the filter bags tearing I would spend the extra money and get the System 1.

Registered Member

t2000kw,
    Thanks for the follow-up. There actually was a sytem 1 that just finished on ebay for $65. that I was following. Believe it or not, I SPACED what time it was ending and didn't get my butt online to go for that last 30 second bid. Fool. I have been looking for the Diatomagic but indeed they are way hard to come by.
    I have a son who manages a pet shop (the apple didn't fall far from the tree, you say?) and I get the 'family discount' which means wholesale. I'll see if he can get it for me....and I don't pay shipping, either, that way!
    Best regards
    Harriett

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345