ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Azoo Bio-Glass VS Hagen Bio-Max

Registered Member

Default Azoo Bio-Glass VS Hagen Bio-Max

Can anyone please tell me which media is better to use with my fluval 304, the Azoo Bio-Glass or Hagen Bio-Max? Also, if you want to reuse the Bio-Max can you boil it?

Default Re: Azoo Bio-Glass VS Hagen Bio-Max

OK, to stir up things, how about adding Eheim Substrat pro to your list?

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...tegory_id=2579

I use this stuff and it's great! I've also use the hagen one, but really like the Eheim stuff.

Tina

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by tpl*co
    OK, to stir up things, how about adding Eheim Substrat pro to your list?

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...tegory_id=2579

I use this stuff and it's great! I've also use the hagen one, but really like the Eheim stuff.

Tina
    Hi Tina,

Is this better than the rest? How often do you change them, every three months?

You shouldn't have to change them since these are biological media, just rinse them gently in tank water so you don't kill the bacteria that you want growing in there. I've got some that I've been using for a year and it's still good! They don't seem to have as much grit either but you'll still have to rinse them before using.

Do you want mechanical media? The stuff that takes things out of the water and you have to change? Things like floss you would need to replace when they get dirty.

Tina

Registered Member

Thang & Tina,
    The honest truth is that any media capable of colonizing bacteria is fine to use. Some people use plastic army men, some use scrubbies from the Dollar Store. Any sintered glass is fine, the rest is mostly marketing hype. My opinion, get something that is cheap and you wont mind throwing away after a couple of years.

Larry

Registered Member

I agree with Larry. Just make sure it doesn't leech any dangerous chemicals. Just make sure it packs nicely to allow water to pass through, which will help provide oxygenated water for the beneficial bacteria.

I just happen to use Eheim Ehfisubstrat, becuase I have lots of it left over, so I used it in my FilStar XP3.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie
    I agree with Larry. Just make sure it doesn't leech any dangerous chemicals. Just make sure it packs nicely to allow water to pass through, which will help provide oxygenated water for the beneficial bacteria.

I just happen to use Eheim Ehfisubstrat, becuase I have lots of it left over, so I used it in my FilStar XP3.
    Thanks guys.

I bought 5 liters of Ehiem Ehfisubstrat. I think this is cheaper than the bio-max. I think this will last me a very long time.

I liked the substrat pro since it is a ball shape, kinda like trix ceral, that allows a better flow through it. That's why I chose it. Yes, you can use anything, but some things do work better than others.

Tina

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by tpl*co
    I liked the substrat pro since it is a ball shape, kinda like trix ceral, that allows a better flow through it. That's why I chose it. Yes, you can use anything, but some things do work better than others.

Tina
    Hi Tina,

substrat pro maybe better, but how much better do you think it is? It is double in price, does it mean that it is twice as good?

Registered Member

All sintered glass bio-media is made of the same stuff. Personally, I like the eheim substrat pro because, like Tina said, they are spherical and are much easier to work with. They are adaptable to any kind of container, which makes packing them in easier. With the Azoo bio-glass and Hagen bio-max, the cylindrical shape, IMO, makes it quite a bit more difficult to pack in some containers. It might be just me, but I feel like I can pack in more Substrat Pro in a container than I can the bio-max.
    Dudley Pajela
    40 gallon Heavily Planted Discus Tank
    4 Wild Green Discus

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dood Lee
    All sintered glass bio-media is made of the same stuff. Personally, I like the eheim substrat pro because, like Tina said, they are spherical and are much easier to work with. They are adaptable to any kind of container, which makes packing them in easier. With the Azoo bio-glass and Hagen bio-max, the cylindrical shape, IMO, makes it quite a bit more difficult to pack in some containers. It might be just me, but I feel like I can pack in more Substrat Pro in a container than I can the bio-max.
    How about the Ehfisubstrat, is this difficult to pack down?

Registered Member

In my experience, the substrat pro is really easy to pack because of its spherical shape.
    Dudley Pajela
    40 gallon Heavily Planted Discus Tank
    4 Wild Green Discus

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dood Lee
    In my experience, the substrat pro is really easy to pack because of its spherical shape.

Thanks for the info.