AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strains and Temperments/Personalities

Registered Member used2bBubbles's Avatar

Default Strains and Temperments/Personalities

Having owned PBs, BDs and BTs thus far in my discus hobby life, I have noticed that the BDs are much friendlier fish than the PBs. When yet juvies, the BDs would wiggle continuously when they'd see me coming to their tank with food. They'd swim around my hands, let me pet them and hand-feed them.

In contrast, the PBs almost looked at me in disgust (if they knew what disgust was)! They'd ignore me when I'd come to the tank with food as if to say, "Yea, we know it's you and we'll eat when you get the h@*l out of here!"

Have any of you noticed any difference in temperments between the various strains? This is one reason why I don't want any more PBs and am leaning more to BTs.

I apologize if this topic has ever been posted before; I didn't find it.

Thanks in advance for any opinions!
    Kathi

Default Re: Strains and Temperments/Personalities

Quote Originally Posted by used2bBubbles
    Having owned PBs, BDs and BTs thus far in my discus hobby life, I have noticed that the BDs are much friendlier fish than the PBs. When yet juvies, the BDs would wiggle continuously when they'd see me coming to their tank with food. They'd swim around my hands, let me pet them and hand-feed them.

In contrast, the PBs almost looked at me in disgust (if they knew what disgust was)! They'd ignore me when I'd come to the tank with food as if to say, "Yea, we know it's you and we'll eat when you get the h@*l out of here!"

Have any of you noticed any difference in temperments between the various strains? This is one reason why I don't want any more PBs and am leaning more to BTs.

I apologize if this topic has ever been posted before; I didn't find it.

Thanks in advance for any opinions!
    Kathi
    Kathi, I have a BD, who comes to greet me and is much friendlier than my Golden Pidgeon, who still sometimes hides, or will look at me from the back of the tank, with sheer mistrust! I have a BD Red Striated that also is very friendly, along with my RM. But that Pidgeon.... grrrr! I have these fish since the middle of April 06, so the Pidgeon should recognize me by now, dontcha think??

Connie

Quote Originally Posted by poconogal
    I have these fish since the middle of April 06, so the Pidgeon should recognize me by now, dontcha think??

Connie
    YES, Connie, I do! And that's my point. I think the BD strain is naturally more "people friendly." Now most guys may not consider this to be a quality they want in their fish, and I'm not putting guys down about it. But I find it so gratifying to have my BDs appear to be happy (discussion about whether fish can be "happy" or not found in another thread!). I'm wondering if there are other strains that are friendly, too.

Thanks, Connie, and yea, your PB knows you. He just has disdain for you!!!!

Kathi

Real Name
    Debbie Patterson

Hi Kathi, I have had pigeons for about 6 years and I don't think they ever change. My PB are mean and agressive ,but I can hand feed them and pet them,they just don't care much for it. MY green turqs are very calm and nice and love to be touched ,red melon friendly,hand fed ect. BD catious but calm. But any PB seems to have it out for the world at least in attitude.LOL Some where I read that they were meaner through breeding but I can't remember where.

Debbie

If I had been born a pidgeon blood I'd be mad at the world too....

Quote Originally Posted by Giniel
    My PB are mean and agressive ,but I can hand feed them and pet them,they just don't care much for it. Some where I read that they were meaner through breeding but I can't remember where.

Debbie
    Yes, I found my PBs much more aggressive, especially when it came to eating. And of the 7 discus I got at the same time, the same age, the PBs got twice as big as BDs in no time. I've been told that BDs don't grow as fast, but I can also see why: they're afraid the PBs will smack 'em around!

Converseley, I did have the biggest PB in the tank sort of "mother" the 3 BDs and tended to protect them from the others. I found that quite odd. I sold the PBs and the new owner says they are ornery as can be!

Thanks, Debbie!

Quote Originally Posted by Squiggy
    THANK YOU SQUIGGY!!!! I needed a good laugh today!!!

Are you saying PBs are ugly???

YES, Connie, I do! And that's my point. I think the BD strain is naturally more "people friendly." Now most guys may not consider this to be a quality they want in their fish, and I'm not putting guys down about it. But I find it so gratifying to have my BDs appear to be happy (discussion about whether fish can be "happy" or not found in another thread!). I'm wondering if there are other strains that are friendly, too.

Thanks, Connie, and yea, your PB knows you. He just has disdain for you!!!!

Kathi
    Kathi, Disdain? HA... there's always the fish sandwich in his future! Really, he is just now starting to come to the front, but WITH the OTHER Discus. He will eat from my hand, though... guess he gets over his disdain then... LOL. There actually was a discussion about this on Simply, maybe about 2 mos. ago, but I can't remember the thread. I was talking about my RT Discus and my 2 wild caught adults from 13 years ago, who were so friendly and PEACEFUL, especially compared to what's going on in my tank now! I had my tank in my kitchen, constant traffic, and they were just curious, not skittish, etc. Very friendly -- imagine wild caughts being very friendly, and this darn Pidgeon.... oh well.

Connie

Yes, I found my PBs much more aggressive, especially when it came to eating. And of the 7 discus I got at the same time, the same age, the PBs got twice as big as BDs in no time. I've been told that BDs don't grow as fast, but I can also see why: they're afraid the PBs will smack 'em around!

Converseley, I did have the biggest PB in the tank sort of "mother" the 3 BDs and tended to protect them from the others. I found that quite odd. I sold the PBs and the new owner says they are ornery as can be!

Thanks, Debbie!
    Yes, I've also noticed the super aggression when eating. My PB has definitely grown quite a bit in 3 mos., much faster the my BD. But, also like you said, my PB has been protecting my BD Red Striated (who is the biggest in the tank) from 2 of the others.

Wow, Connie, wilds being friendly and peaceful. I never would have expected that. I would think they would be constantly skittish and not friendly at all. Go figure!

Yea, I still remember my PBs looking at me and at times I could almost see a curl in their lips as if they were smirking at me!!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Squiggy
    ROFLMAO

Real Name
    Stud Muffin

You will find some difference in temperaments between different strains/types amongst themselves....But you shouldn't notice a big difference in how they react towards yourself. A healthy group of Pigeon Bloods should rush to the front of the tank just the same as a healthy group of Blue Diamonds.
    If they don't, Its a prelude to something....stress, Illness, etc.

A healthy discus is a hungry discus.

Tony

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

right on Tony

Thanks, Tony and Rod!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_S
    You will find some difference in temperaments between different strains/types amongst themselves....But you shouldn't notice a big difference in how they react towards yourself. A healthy group of Pigeon Bloods should rush to the front of the tank just the same as a healthy group of Blue Diamonds.
    If they don't, Its a prelude to something....stress, Illness, etc.

A healthy discus is a hungry discus.

Tony
    Mine is just nuts! Does eat like a pig, very agressive eater, growing very well, but ALWAYS a little wary at the outset, and after eating. Are there fish therapists out there? Perhaps he had a bad childhood? LOL

Connie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast