ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Discus !!! Questions...

Registered Member

Default Update !!!! New to Discus !!! Questions...

****EDIT**** UPDATE !!!! PICTURES ADDED !!!! ****PLEASE CHECK THEM OUT !!!!****

I am new to Discus... I will be picking up my new fish next weekend. My question to you is what justifies the price of Discus ??? I am paying $175.00 for a beautiful 5.5" breeder pair. I was told he could get as much as $250.00 for them. I am getting them from a friend. The best I can describe them to you is by quoting his E-mail to me about them....

"I am planning to list the discus pair for sale on aquabid for $250 this weekend. If you really want them I will sell them to you for $175. This pair of discus is from Asia. I know the name in Chinese, but not in English. I have found something in the U.S similar to them called Spotted Pigeon Blood that has much less spots than mine."

Can someone tell me if they know what kind of Discus he is trying to discribe and tell me what justifies the price. These fish are extremely beautiful !!! They are red & white..... Thanks !!!
    Last edited by killerchevelle; 07-23-2006 at 02:34 PM. Reason: UPDATE PICTURES ADDED !!!

Default Re: New to Discus !!! Questions...

Your question is a loaded one. I'll try to point out some things you may want to take into consideration.

Discus are more expensive because they require a little more time and effort to raise than other tropical fish. It also depends on the color type. Some discus are more common (pigeon bloods, red turquoise, snakeskins) while others are more scarce (albinos). Sometimes there are many 'grades' of fish per spawn. This means that certain discus, like leopards and other spotted types, may produce several different variations of fry. The more intricate and fully spotted a fish is, the more money it's going to cost you... compared to its less spotted siblings.

Now, the next question would be about the pair you mentioned. There are a few things to consider about pairs. Are they a mated pair? This means they have successfully spawned and hatched eggs into fry. Mated pairs usually fetch a higher price because they are confirmed male and female. Mated pairs also tend to be expensive because it's instant gratification -- no raising juveniles to pair off, no waiting on the fish to start spawning. However, just because discus are a mated pair does not mean they will spawn for you. Unless your conditions are right and the fish are happy, there's a chance they'll never raise fry once they've been sold to you.

If the fish in question AREN'T a mated pair, but just two discus, I don't think they should be that price... not unless there's something special about them. Without pictures, it is impossible to assume what sort of discus this person is describing. Pigeon bloods can be spotted, but then so can leopards and all the leopard variants... and those are not pigeon-based fish.

The last question to ask yourself is, why do you want a pair? If you are new to discus, I would suggest getting some young fish and raising them up to learn about them first before I jumped into trying to breed them. Discus are not like other fish. They require more specialized care in general.

Ryan
    Last edited by Ryan; 07-05-2006 at 02:04 PM.

Registered Member

These are a proven pair....I want them because they are beautiful fish and I have to have them. To me it is just a bonus that they could breed. Im not looking to breed them. I will post pics as soon as I get them situated....
    Last edited by killerchevelle; 07-05-2006 at 02:27 PM.

Ryan...again you've hit the proverbial nail right on the head! Very very good answer!
    Jarrod
    Discus an ADDICTION but at least a legal one with no KNOWN cure! 2 -55 gal 1 -29 gal 1-25 gal 6 Sunshines,2 Candy Apple Reds,4 Scribbled Reds,4 White Diamonds

Registered Member

See..... I have been into the fish hobby for at least 9 years now. I have had fish spawn and I have successfully raised fry. I currently have a tank with about 40 3" baby fish from 4 different spawns. These fish require more work ??? Fine no problem for me... I can handle it...Im not an 11 year old kid with no experience who is just getting into fish for the first time...

what kind of fish spawns do you have? well..sounds like you up to a challenge..if they are a proven pair..then a good price.
    but..we all want to hear how you make out. how big of a tank are you putting them in? 30 gallons minimum ..and bigger is better. baby discus are very fragile after 6 weeks. extremely clean water..or they begin to spiral and die.
    but..theres lots of info you can read here in the breeding section. let us know how it goes..and we want pics.
    ryans right..in if you raise up fry first..you have a bit of an understanding of discus .

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by killerchevelle
    See..... I have been into the fish hobby for at least 9 years now. I have had fish spawn and I have successfully raised fry. I currently have a tank with about 40 3" baby fish from 4 different spawns. These fish require more work ??? Fine no problem for me... I can handle it...Im not an 11 year old kid with no experience who is just getting into fish for the first time...

Killerchevelle ~ Welcome to Simply! You certainly do not sound like an 11year old ~ Some people think that although many years ....and I have seen this as well ~ in the fish hobby is quite or can be quite dif than in the Discus Hobby ~

Ryan was very helpful in is response to you and I agree in that after they are all settled in post some pictures!! You can handle that yes?? lol!

You must be very excited!!

Marie ~

What year is the Chevelle?....

Registered Member

Here are my ***NEW*** BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL DISCUS !!! Proven Pair !!!!

First pic is the Female....
    Second pic is the Male....
    Third pic is both of them together !!!!

The female is about 5" and the male is 5.5"

Any ideas as to what type of discus they are ??? They were hand carried from Singapore....the parents were 12" !!!

Last edited by killerchevelle; 07-23-2006 at 02:55 PM.

They look beautiful, good shape, color. Look like Pidgeon Bloods to me.

Registered Member

***Better Shots....***
    Same Order...
    Female....
    Male....
    Both....

Registered Member

Those are some real nice pictures. How about a few pictures of frys
    on the parent's back?

Cliff

they really are quite nice fish..id say go for it. get instructions from him on what he fed..wc regime..etc..so you can keep them in that great shape.
    did you get them? they are nice..id take them..
    but cliffs right..did he show you pics of them carrying fry?
    but..on the other hand..even if they didnt..theyd be very nice lookin fish to own.

I would have payed the $225 for both even if they were not a pair! Not a spot on those pidgeons.
    Last edited by Ed13; 07-23-2006 at 04:04 PM.
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Registered Member

I have them !!!! I took these pictures of them this morning. I got them yesterday.... I have all the details to keep them up. They are a proven pair he didn't have a picture of them with the fry. He is my friend so I know he is telling me the truth.
    Last edited by killerchevelle; 07-23-2006 at 04:07 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast