ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Black spots on my Discus

Registered Member

Default Black spots on my Discus

I just came home from a week's vacation and I noticed some black freckel like spots on one of my newest discus. Two of my older discus which already had black freckels around their faces, appeared to have more. The only thing I noticed different regarding the tank was the warter temp was a little higher than normal because the I raised the ac thermostat in the house.Does anyone know what these black spots are? Thanks.
    -Mark

Default Re: Black spots on my Discus

Quote Originally Posted by mdv
    I just came home from a week's vacation and I noticed some black freckel like spots on one of my newest discus. Two of my older discus which already had black freckels around their faces, appeared to have more. The only thing I noticed different regarding the tank was the warter temp was a little higher than normal because the I raised the ac thermostat in the house.Does anyone know what these black spots are? Thanks.
    -Mark
    Sounds like peppering to me. Sometimes if they are a bit stressed peppering can increase, or it can increase in response to a darker background/substrate. Pidgeon Bloods pepper, so do Red Melons. What kinds of Discus is it?

Registered Member

It's a blue diamond. The other two are orange with black fins and traces of blue in the lower fins-I can't remember their type, but their faces have been peppered for a long time. Is this something I need to worry about?

Nope its all natural.

It is there because at some point pigeon blood were breeding with an other type of Discus. For exemple i have a few litle discus coming form a cross between a MAlboro red and a blue Diamond, the litle guys are orange with so much pepper that their fin is almost all black.

Try to put a white background for a day, followed by a black background behind your tank. You will see a lot more perpering with the black background. (they don'T appear, they are always there, its just that light condition and background afect the color you will see form your fish),

maybe you should put a pic as well (we all love pics here)
    FrancK
    2018 year of the big tank!!!.

True blue diamonds should show no peppering. If you have a real blue diamond and it has black spots, it is not peppering.

Pigeon blood discus do not have the black vertical bars on them like other discus do... instead of being aligned in bars, the black pigment is spread throughout the body, which is why the fish have little black spots or "pepper" all over them. So naturally, the pepper becomes more prominent when the fish is stressed/angry/excited just like bars on regular discus show during these times.

You said you just got back from a vacation. What is your water quality like? Declining water quality will stress your fish and cause the peppering to show. If you haven't already, I'd suggest a large water change to get rid of high nitrates and other dissolved organics in the water.

If you can, post a picture of your fish... like I said, blue diamonds should show no black specks.

Ryan

it must be a blue pigeon. or blue diamond cross pigeon.

Registered Member

Exclamation Re: Black spots on my Discus

Quote Originally Posted by April
    it must be a blue pigeon. or blue diamond cross pigeon.
    Maybe a Black Diamond, try doing a waterchange, see if you notice less
    spots after the W/C, otherwise you may have the Black spot disease.

Cliff

Registered Member

I did a 50% water change just before I left and no one fed them, so I'm sure the water quality is fine. The background of the tank is black. I have never posted pictures before but will try if someone can instruct me. Thanks.

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Black Spot Disease Cliff? I had never heard of that ~ which doesnt mean anything! Do you have a link re that? I wld like to read about it!

Thanks ~

Marie ~

Remove the black background. Dark colored backgrounds make your discus darker, and will bring out peppering on pigeon-based fish.

I would still do a water change if it's been a week since they had one.

Ryan

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kindredspirit
    Black Spot Disease Cliff? I had never heard of that ~ which doesnt mean anything! Do you have a link re that? I wld like to read about it!

Thanks ~

Marie ~
    Hi Marie,
    Yes, Black Spot Disease, tiny dark spots or black cysts. Treatment is usually
    by using some kind of acid solution. As I recall there is a product called
    Black Spot Control made by Aquatronics(currently out of business).

Cliff

Registered Member

Based on pictures from another website, I believe what I have is a red pigeon.It has similar patterns as a pigeon, not solid blue like the blue diamond I saw on the website. The store receipt said it was a blue diamond-so much for knowledgable sales people. Anyway, I can't remove the black paint from the rear and sides of my built in tank, so I guess I'll have to live with the black spots. Thanks for everyone's help.