ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best way to hatch baby brine shrimp ?

Registered Member diamond_discus's Avatar

Default Best way to hatch baby brine shrimp ?

what is the best way to hatch baby brine shrimp ? I tried for two days and didn't get much.

Even if I can hatch bbs, how would you feed it to the fry, if you have 40 gallon tank ?

Default Re: Best way to hatch baby brine shrimp ?

Did anyone try the "continuous Hatch N' Feeder" ?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...1&N=2004&Nty=1

Registered Member

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showt...g+brine+shrimp

Check out the thread above.

You can find many of the answers to your questions by using the search feature in each forum. For example, I found the thread above, and several other similar threads by search in on "hatching brine shrimp"

Al Light

Registered Member

Did anyone try the "continuous Hatch N' Feeder" ?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...N=200 4&Nty=1

that's so funny, because I just ordered two and set up in my fry tank this morning. So far, the shrimp are hatching and true to advertisement, the napulii or baby shrimp are making their way up the exit chamber. I think I have to modify the plastic cap that prevents fish/fry from swimming into the chamber. The holes seem way to small. I was going to drill a slight bigger hole.
    But, one thing for sure, some of the eggs do come up and out into the fish tank, and now, I'm not sure how I'll do my water changes because when the water level starts to drop, the water in the chamber starts to empty out, and will push out salt water as well. So, you have two choices, take out the whole thing for water changes, or as the water level drops, push the hatchery down to keep the water level same. I may post my results in a few days
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

but for now, I think this is rather gimmicky!

Thanks. Please do give me an update how this thing is working out for you. Can you post another picture to show the entire device in your tank ?

Registered Member

well, so far, the hatchery has been in my tank for 14 hours. The lights are all out in my fish room, so I put on a desk light above the tank to attract the baby shrimp out. Actually, im rather impressed for now. At first, I was thinking that the holes in in the clear plastic cap that protects the fry from swimming into the chamber were to small, but then I noticed that the aereation causes water to gently go back and forth. So, the baby brine shrimp don't actually swim threw it, but rather are gently expelled. There were about 10 discus fry all gathered around just waiting for them to be pushed out. But, it's now 2 am, and I'm wondering, is this good that they're eating at this hour? Anyways, so far, it does work.

Tomorrow morning I will attempt a water change.

Registered Member

hatchery in the tank.

Registered Member

well, i'd have to say the hatchery does work, but with 80+ fry, you really do need something more reliable than these brine shrimp hatcheries. Fortunately, my fry are starting to take cbw's so, the hatcheries are coming down. But they do seem to push out fry, and it does hatch well. The only thing to consider though, is having strong light to attract them out. If you have regular tank lighting directly above, they might not be attracted to come out the escape tube. more junk in my collection for now.

How did you do wc with that device ? Did you take it out ? That might destroy all the hatching BBS inside the device, right ?

Real Name
    Mike

Anyone try that bbs hatchery at petsmart? Just a little black box with an upside down cup with a small hole? You put the eggs and salt in the box and fill the cup with fresh water. You then put the cup upside down and the shrimp come through the hole because of light. It works and it says for more to hatch, refill cup with more fresh water.

Real Name
    Mike

This is the one, anyone have any success? I figured it couldnt hurt to try for $7. I only got about 50 to hatch out of the batch of eggs. What do you think is the problem?

hatchery.jpg

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mikscus
    Anyone try that bbs hatchery at petsmart? Just a little black box with an upside down cup with a small hole? You put the eggs and salt in the box and fill the cup with fresh water. You then put the cup upside down and the shrimp come through the hole because of light. It works and it says for more to hatch, refill cup with more fresh water.
    I've bought this petsmart SF bay brand hatchery and I think it is junk.

You can use just about anything that will hold water and clear enough to shine a light through to hatch out BBS. I currently have 2 batches of BBS going. I'm using (1) 1 gallon fish bowl I bought for my daughter's gold fish and (1) 2 gallon plastic container.

Just dump 1 tsp of eggs with 3 tblsp of salt, drop an airstone in, 20~30 hours later they will hatch.

turn off the air, and shine a light in, all of the BBS will be gathered around the light. I then use a turkey baster to collect, rinse through a coffee filter and feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikscus
    This is the one, anyone have any success? I figured it couldnt hurt to try for $7. I only got about 50 to hatch out of the batch of eggs. What do you think is the problem?

hatchery.jpg
    I had the same device ... This is junk ... very low hatching rate ..
    If my other device doesn't work, then I will try the generic way like rayw suggested.

Registered Member

alittle bleach! some baking soda, and a bright light!

hth
    Gld

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast