ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm confused about 100% water changes

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robin

Default I'm confused about 100% water changes

I am new to discus breeding and have read a lot of posts that say they do 100% water changes. What do you do with the discus when you do these 100% water changes?

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: I'm confused about 100% water changes

They lay on their sides until you start filling the tank back up with water. They will be fine as long as you do the process quick enough.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ralph

If you are not comfortable with your Discus laying on their sides...you can get down just enough to the height of discus and start filling while leaving the siphon hose in tank for a minute or so. So you will need two hoses of the same inside diameter.
    Much easier with 1" grow-outs which is why 100% w/c is talked about more often.
    Seeing that you have 4" sub-adults noted on another thread you can go down to 5" from bottom....but very common by many to do 100% regardless the size of Discus.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

start filling before its totally empty, balance fill with drain and you can do 100 w/o flopping fish
    President NADA

SOS Crew - Texas

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

I actually like doing it right down until they flop because it is much more convenient, you get EVERYTHING you physically can out of the water with this method and it is more efficient with the water in the end. The most freshness per gallon of water.

I can also squeeze out all my sponge filters right in the tank as I do my 100% water changes because practically everything comes out. No need to bust out a bucket and squeeze them out there and worry about potential cross contamination.

I personally make sure the new water is perfect for them though before I pump it in. Same temperature and at least HEAVILY agitated after dosing Safe for 30 mins though I try to make it a whole day if possible.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by kris2341 View Post
    I actually like doing it right down until they flop because it is much more convenient, you get EVERYTHING you physically can out of the water with this method and it is more efficient with the water in the end. The most freshness per gallon of water.

I can also squeeze out all my sponge filters right in the tank as I do my 100% water changes because practically everything comes out. No need to bust out a bucket and squeeze them out there and worry about potential cross contamination.

I personally make sure the new water is perfect for them though before I pump it in. Same temperature and at least HEAVILY agitated after dosing Safe for 30 mins though I try to make it a whole day if possible.
    Make sure you are not squeezing out your sponge filters daily, it is not required

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Make sure you are not squeezing out your sponge filters daily, it is not required
    definitely not!

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by robinsnestmh2 View Post
    I am new to discus breeding and have read a lot of posts that say they do 100% water changes. What do you do with the discus when you do these 100% water changes?
    A picture says 1000 words.

http://youtu.be/YWMnPZKJWaE

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robin

Thanks for all the advice, but I don't have a container to house that much water to refill. I currently do it with a five gallon jug....takes a LONG TIME. What do you use to contain that amount of water and where can these containers be purchased. What would be needed for the container? I would put in heaters, aeration, anything else? I use an r.o./tap mix. I don't think my body could fill a 150 gallon everyday using only a five gallon jug....need advise on how to set up some kind of system. My tank has no holes! Thanks everyone...you've been GREAT!

Registered Member

Thanks for all the advice, but I don't have a container to house that much water to refill. I currently do it with a five gallon jug....takes a LONG TIME. What do you use to contain that amount of water and where can these containers be purchased. What would be needed for the container? I would put in heaters, aeration, anything else? I use an r.o./tap mix. I don't think my body could fill a 150 gallon everyday using only a five gallon jug....need advise on how to set up some kind of system. My tank has no holes! Thanks everyone...you've been GREAT!
    How about a python?

http://www.amazon.com/25-Foot-Python...n+water+change

Quote Originally Posted by kris2341 View Post
    definitely not!
    +1

Real Name
    Ricardo

You can go to a Home Depot or its equivalent around your area and buy the Brute Trash cans that have the rollers at the base which makes it very easy to transport water from one place to the other. You can put an airline and a heater directly in to it, age it and then you can buy a submersible pump and pump the water in to the tank. Done.

Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

I use 55 gallon food grade barrels found on craigslist. Usually run under $20 each. Just make sure they were used in food processing, NOT holding cleaners from a car wash. Around here I can find them from vinegar storage.

Cheaper that the brute trash cans.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by MyDiscusTank View Post
    I use 55 gallon food grade barrels found on craigslist. Usually run under $20 each. Just make sure they were used in food processing, NOT holding cleaners from a car wash. Around here I can find them from vinegar storage.

Cheaper that the brute trash cans.
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. I got 5 55g blue barrels that were used for food off of CL. Great source, just make sure to ask the right questions.

Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    A picture says 1000 words.

http://youtu.be/YWMnPZKJWaE
    THIS!

This is actually far more ingenious than I thought giving it a 2nd watch through. They drain out the water extremely fast, but on top of that, the pressure lines stir up the water very well while the system is draining down to the bottom and allow for a completely clean tank without having to use siphons.

Though I definitely dont want to be the fish that takes a direct hit from that... Using a showerhead type nozzle would definitely make things easier on them and keep the water movement extremely high.

If I ever do an exceedingly large fish room, this is the system I'd use.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast