AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best way to hatch baby brine shrimp ?

Default Re: Best way to hatch baby brine shrimp ?

Heres the easies way I have found to hatch BBS and I get a great hatch rate. I keep it at 80 degrees and use tap water with chloromines. I use solar salt from the hardware store. I have three bottles going. One to harvest at 6:00 AM, one at 5:30 PM, and one at 11:30 PM. I only have two airlines. When I start a fresh batch I will let the eggs soak until I harvest the next in line and them aerate them. This way they are only aerated for around 12 hours. It works for me....

When it comes time to harvest, I move the airline to the soaking bottle and put the bottle I am harvesting in a seperate holder with a bright light above it. It sits and seperates in about 10 minutes and then with an airline I start a siphon and strain through a brine shrimp net. Rinse heavily and feed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by troyclark; 11-01-2007 at 10:18 PM.

Registered Member

Just to get back to these gimmicky 'in tank' hatcheries for a minute.... I designed a similar principle 35 years ago. The one major drawback was that the bbs come out literally one at a time. That means one fry ( the biggest/smartest ) sits by the exit and grabs them as they come out. It is totally impossible to get even growth in a batch of fry using these things.
    Regards
    B-O-F

Registered Member

I have 2, SF bay black plastic bases, 2, 2 liter cut coke bottles.
    2 tblspoons of aquarium salt, 1/2 tsp of SFbay eggs (per 2 liter setup), aeration and I get a good yield every 24hrs, the setup is a breeze to clean. I alternate the setups so I have fresh BBS everyday.

Tom

Registered Member

I must be a real idiot! For the world in me, I can NOT figure out how to hatch these 'critters.' I've bought the stuff that I need, but can NOT tell if any of them are hatching or not. Does anyone have a very simple way to hatch these things? I have a whole can of eggs and am not sure what to try next.

Any advice would be appreciated....

Registered Member

2 liter coke bottle drill hole in cap put in air hose no diffuser. put in fresh water and 1tsp eggs turn on air for 1 hour then add 1/4 salt from water softner and continue to bubble fairly vigorously and in about 24-30 hours massive amounts if water is soft add tsp of baking soda also. turn off air pump and harvest off the bottom near light. heat around 84 speeds up the process. GOOD LUCK

Registered Member

I was such a newbie when I had my first angel fry that I actually read the directions on the box of San Fransisco Bay brand BS eggs I bought.

Essentially it said to add 1tsp eggs to 1 quart of 82 degree f water and wait an hour.
    Then add 2 TBSP salt and aerate for 24-36 hours
    Then shut off aeration, light from the bottom for 10 minutes and siphon shrimp from the bottom.

I do exactly that except I add the eggs and salt at the same time.

The trick is to do it conveinantly. Here is my system which works good for me:

I use a 29 gallon tank on a metal rack with a light underneath the tank. I keep it filled about 6" deep and heat the water to 82 degrees. I place 2 liter bottles filled with brine and eggs into the tank water and aerate them.
    (I also put 1 gallon glass jars with 3" wide slates with angel spawn in this tank and aerate them to hatch them out)

When it's time to harvest a bottle I pull the tube for that bottle off the air pump and go do something else for about 10 minutes in the fishroom. The light from underneath draws the shrimp down and the egg casings float.

I lift the bottle from the water and siphon from the bottom of the bottle using the aeration hose through one of those stainless steel screen meshed permanent coffee filters which I place in the mouth of a 1 gallon glass jar.

I stop siphoning as I get to the shell casings, rinse out the bottle while the last of the brine strains through the coffee filter. I shake the coffee filter in the fry tank, refill the soda bottle with the used brine or make new if it needs it (using water from the fry tank). Then I put it back in the 20 gallon with new eggs.

I rotate the bottles using a paper clip that I put on the next bottle in rotation each time I harvest so I don't get confused.

Here is what SF Bay Prods has to say:
    http://www.sfbb.com/hatchingbshrimp.html

By the way. I have two of those in tank set-ups by Tom's. I thought they worked well if you didn't have a lot of fry EXCEPT that every time the water level is raised or lowered, even the slightest bit, water either rushed into the hatchery or brine rushed into the tank. So it was a big problem doing water changes or anything else with the tank. Plus you have to clean the hatchery fairly often so you don't save much work in the end.

I will sell them cheap if anybody wants to try them.

i think my discus have paired up and im think about hatching BBS i know i have to add salt but is that all do i need warm water for them to hatch or do i just leave it at room temp and just let them do their thing

Quote Originally Posted by migetguy View Post
    i think my discus have paired up and im think about hatching BBS i know i have to add salt but is that all do i need warm water for them to hatch or do i just leave it at room temp and just let them do their thing
    You actually need air and a light source. I haven't ever done it but you can google it and you'll get a ton of links.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

here a good link
    saltlakebrineshrimp.com/hatching-brine-shrimp/

How to make your own Do-It-Yourself Brine Shrimp Hatchery

My "best way" of hatching BBS.

#31 is really great for home breeders, but if you are short of the equipment/supplies then you could always find whats at your house and make something out of it.
    【DiscusKev (Kevin) says:】
    Check out my Youtube videos
    Like my videos? 'SUBSCRIBE' ➜ www.YouTube.com/DiscusKev

Thanks Discuskev! I watch a whole bunch of your videos. Thanks for the tips. mike

Great DIY BSH Guide, Kevin. Thanks for sharing.
    Yogesh

Hey Kevin,

Great video! It will be bookmarked for sure..

Marte

Real Name
    David

why buy a brine shrimp hatcher there's plenty of good DIY plans and they works better too all you need is two plastic drink bottles the biggest you can find ( 3litre over here) make sure they are same shape cut one half for a base to hold the other one, get the other one and cut a hole in the bottom and turn it upside down and put in the base.

the last part get a sharp tiped knife and start to turn it around in cicles on the drink lid until you have a small hole that you can fit air line tubing but this has to be really tight, a easy way is to cut a 45 angle on the air line so it goes in easyier and make sure that the air tube is 1 or 2cm from the bottom make sure there is a air valve to stop the water going back through to air pump.

and to catch them just stop the air pump for 20 to 30 min pull out the airline tube from the air valve and slowly drain it over 10mins this way you don't get egg shells from the top and you don't get eggs from the bottom because the air line is above the ground this the only way I know of getting the baby brine shrimp with out the eggs and it's diy Thanks

Registered Member

Are you Adding salt to it .................................................

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast