AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Best way to hatch baby brine shrimp ?

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Default Re: Best way to hatch baby brine shrimp ?

I use a desk lamp and mix sea salt at 1.018 specific gravity as measured with a hydrometer. I put the lamp about 4 to 6 inches away from the cone and I always get a really good hatch rate. I like the cones because it makes it much easier to separate the casings from the brine...........Josie

Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by snoopodus View Post
    I put the lamp about 4 to 6 inches away from the cone and I always get a really good hatch rate. I like the cones because it makes it much easier to separate the casings from the brine...........Josie
    Thanks, Josie, and congrats by the way on your loads of new fry:-)

Question: the video above indicates that it takes 36-48 hours for the BBS to hatch. Others say as short as 15 hours (using a few drops of bleach, etc). How long does it take for your BBS to hatch using your desk lamp system? And is it important to dose the salt at just the right amount?

Real Name
    Rick

I use two tablespoons of salt per quart of water. 1 quart us roughly equally to one liter so if your using an inverted 2 liter pop bottle and fill it with water 2/3 full, three tablespoons of salt will get you to were you want to be. The warmer the water, the faster the bbs will hatch.

Registered Member

Well I am new to hatching brine shrimp I read online that if you put them in heat and bright light they will hatch in 24 hours is that right or wrong I don't need the right away so 24 hours ok

It may work, it never mattered to me because I just rotated batches every 2-3 days. The heat would be the thing that makes the difference not the light. Eggs hatch with out without light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered Member

hey you know what i was having a really hard time hatching anything too i was going crazy trying to measure sea salt and measuring with that silly hydrometer
    then i found this info:
    use a 5 gallon tank keep water in tank at 80 Fahrenheit by putting in a heater cut the bottom of 2 2 liter bottles off you you can clip them together so they stay upright 1 air stone in each bottle .
    then i do a tablespoon of aquarium salt or i'm cheap lol none iodide salt is actually what i use one heaping tablespoon of salt per liter and one pinch of baking soda and1/4 teaspoon of eggs no testing no nothing and it works great it will hatch all the time , Oh and of course you still need light

Real Name
    Benjamin

What is the best brand of brine shrimp eggs out there guys? And where can I get them in bulk.

Thanks.

Registered Member

ken's fish had 90% hatch rate at a good price

Registered Member

Is there anyplace online where I can order bbs eggs? link pls..

Real Name
    Rick Mileski

Registered Member

wouldn't the bleech and the baking soda do the same thing? They are both bases as compared to acidic.

CIMG3719AS.jpgCIMG3697AA.jpgSNAKESKIN MOTHER WITH EGGS.jpgI bought a type of Tupperware container at Target that I liked because it had a small opening for rigid plastic tubing, was tall and also had a sealable hatch built into the cover. Shrimp were hatched the old fashioned way with a non iodized salt mixture and ro water in 12 hour intervals as I've always been told that after 12 hours the yolk sac which is supposed to be the nutritous part, gets used up. I also used a small lamp directly over the containers to produce heat and light.

Normally I would have two of these going at a time and scoop up the shrimp with a long handled fish white brine shrimp net. Before feeding I would rince in RO water, even tap water, to remove excess salt. With a plastic syringe I would shoot them into the middle of the mass of babies. I normally kept them with their parents for a few weeks also.

The first two pics are the grown fry from this hatch, pic. 3.

Simply put these brine eggs in water and by continously aerating them at warm room temp. you can see them hatch after about 2 to 3 days.They have to kept in salted water and you could add a little baking soda if you wish

Registered Member

That's a great photo

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234