AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Attached finally !!

Registered Member diamond_discus's Avatar

Default Re: Attached finally !!

Yes, I did purchase a brine shrimp net. How did you setup and use the equipment that you suggested ?

Here's another pic of the fry with daddy. Day #6
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

nice pix, but mine failed for 5 times already... maybe should not do any wc after the eggs are laid next time round

OK Diamond, here is kinda of an old picture but it is the set-up we use. The two tubes were purchased at wal-mart for like $1.50 ea. Put two holes in the lid. The airline will go thru the holes to keep circulation and oxygen in the tubes for the bbs. We mix our salt water for hatching the eggs in a gallon milk carton. Fill the tube half full with water, pour in some 1 tsp of eggs and wait until the next morning. Depending on the temp you are keeping them at will also depend on the hatching time line. Our fish room stays about 82 so they will hatch fairly fast. Less than 24 hrs sometimes. When you get ready to feed. Pull the air out and put the tube in front of a light for a couple minutes. This will the live bbs to the light and the eggs will fall to the bottom of the jar. We put our bbs net over a cup and then siphon with an air line hose right into the net.

Here's another one with the light on.

How do you siphon the BBS from the jar ? Use an airline ? by mouth ?

Angela, thanks for the pics and advice. Since I already brought a "Continuous Hatch'N;Feeder" device, I decide to give it a try last night. It's been over 15 hours and I saw BBS coming out from the device and it's slow spreading into the tank water. The baby fry doesn't seems to know the BBS are food source and the frys are still very attached to the parents. How do I know if they are eating the BBS or not ?

Here's a picture of that hatching device. I will give it a try for a couple days. If it doesn't work, then I will try your equipment list. Thanks again.

P.S. From the picture, you will see a table light in the background. I used that with the San Francisco Bay Brand Shrimpery, which is a failure ... very low hatching rate ... I am hoping my new hatcher will work, which should produce BBS continuous into the tank and I don't have to worry about feeding the fry while I am at work.

Real Name
    Willie

There's no reason to feed bbs before 5 days free swimming. You can comfortably wait until 11 - 12 days after free swimming to do so with no harm. But if you're going to do it, do it the right way. The Continuous Hatch device is a joke.

Willie

Today is day #9. My BBS hatching machine is not working out that well. However, I have been using Golden Pearl and First Bite in the automatic feeder during the day. Those food sank to the bottom of the tank.

Tonight is the first night that some frys began to eat those food that sank to the bottom. Pretty soon other fry follows them ... and eventually the daddy notice that and he decided to lower himself all the way to the bottom, to allow the fry to be close to him but also can get some bites from the tank bottom food. I tried to feed daddy some color bits and frozen blood worm but he doesn't seem to want to eat. Some bigger fry try to bite at the blood worm ... Maybe I will try to chop up some for them tomorrow.

Here's a picture of daddy lowering himself to the bottom ... the pic is not very clear .. that's the best I can do ...

Some of the bigger fry has pink/orange belly. I am not sure if they ate the BBS (only a few coming from the hatcher) or the golden pearl. Anyhow, I am happy that they finally find some new food source, they will help daddy quite a bit. Hopefully, they can eat some frozen blood worm soon and I don't to worry about those BBS ...

Go ahead and try chopping some worms up. Make sure you chop them good because they will try and swallow them whole as they (fry) get bigger and some will choke on them. Try feeding them some shaved bh.

Day #10 picture ...

Frys starting to notice other food source ... such as BBS, Golden Pearl, and First Bite powder.

Day 11 ... frys are obviously change shape ...

Day #12 ... Frys are staying close to the parent, but learning to hurt down other external food source, such as BBS and Golden Pearl

Day 13, first day to turn off hood light at night, only use a small room light.
    Remove the :Continuous HatchNFeed device". It can hatch BBS very well, but the BBS is having hard time to swim out of the device. This device makes very hard to do wc because of all the floating eggs ... I took that device out and start feeding Instant Brine Shrimp, Golden Pearl, and chopped FBW.
    Last edited by diamond_discus; 09-17-2006 at 02:08 AM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast