ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Do You Clean a Python Hose??

Default Re: How Do You Clean a Python Hose??

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    Periodically replace the hose. It's not all that expensive, or maybe I'm just too lazy. I only use the python to drain, so the gunk buildup isn't as big a concern.

My hoses are much shorter too... maybe 12 feet give or take so the expense is less. Downstairs where I don't get a lot of help from gravity, I also hook my drain hose to a mag pump, really increases the suction.

Jim
    I have periodically replaced the hoses, but I just got these (2 joined) only a few months ago so I'd rather not spend more money on hoses again Figured there had to be a way to clean it instead.

Real Name
    Mike

I take mine outside to the water spicket after a wc and hook it up directly and turn it on full blast through the hose in the opposite direction of the flow I used when cleaning the tanks.....clears everything out rather quickly and my front lawn gets a little extra watering at the same time.

I fill a 5 gallon bucket with bleach and water then hook the python up to my Mag pump, drop the pump in the bucket and the other end of the hose and let the pump circulate the bleach solution for about 30 minutes, then repeat with clean water, then dechlor water.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Smile Re: How Do You Clean a Python Hose??

Every idea given here works, it a matter of how much patience you have and most important is following these ideas once a month to keep hoses clean.

Once a month I wind my python inside a 5 gallon home depot bucket. In other words the hose should be agains the wall of the bucket going around and around until you get to the top. Add 1/4 cup of bleach and let hot water run through the python until the bucket almost fills. With bucket on the counter of the sink, in other words the bucket has to be higher than the faucet to start a siphon once filled. Once the bucket is filled the shut the hot water off and turn the water release then let the bleach water simply siphon out on its own. As the water siphon out slowly, it is cleaning your hose. You may need to follow more these steps more than once depending how dirty the hose is. When satisfy then fill the bucket with water and dechlorinator and let the water siphon out slowly on its own until the smell of chlorine is gone, usually one dose of dechlorinator does the job for me.

Lightbulb Re: How Do You Clean a Python Hose??

After every use I hook it up and run hot water thru it...and drain it...but the downside is no mattrer how well I rinse it and drain it I still get the gunk buildup inside the hoses....so what I do then is put straight bleach into the hose and roll it between my fingers down the entire length and set the section I'm working on on a hard surface and turn my roll it under the heel of my hand to make sure the hose is compressed and the sides of it are touching. Then I take some gravel maybe 1/4-3/8" size and drop maybe a tablespoon full into one end of the hose and lift it and lower it making the gravel go back and forth to each end. I do this until all gunk is scrubbed by grabel from inside of hose. Then I drain the bleach out of the hose down the drain in the bath tub and hook it back up to fitting on my bathroom sink and flush it out with hot water again with it running down bathtub drain. I flush it with the hot water for like 5-10 mins or so and then turn the hot off and do the same thing again with cold water. After shutting water down and draining the hose I leave one end of hose in the tub and run the other end back up over the shower curtain rod and bring that end down into tub and let it hang until all the water has drained out and it has dried out. Granted alot of work but it's clean and sanitized when done...just how I do it is all.
    George
    Discus an ADDICTION but at least a legal one with no KNOWN cure! 2 -55 gal 1 -29 gal 1-25 gal 6 Sunshines,2 Candy Apple Reds,4 Scribbled Reds,4 White Diamonds

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12