ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What food cultures do you grow?

Default Re: What food cultures do you grow?

Quote Originally Posted by Squiggy View Post
    Thanks, Paul...I remember growing out live bloodworms and attempting to cultur them but it was a pita keeping the flys contained... I thought the 'wingless' was developed to solve that...

Joe
    Not sure Joe, I used to use bloodworm as a bait when fishing, the midges on the water bit the heck outta me, thats why I know they come from midges.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

White worms are real easy to culture. I use a small box with garden soil and introduce the culture. Feed the culture bread soaked in cold water. Cover the bread with a piece of glass. Keep the box in a dark cool place. When the bread is gone replace it. When the food is introduced the worms come up to feed. Just scoop them up and drop them in the tank.
    I've had my culture going for about 3 years now.
    Joe

Have you ever tried feeding your white worms flake food? I read this online that when they eat the flake food the worms are full of the vitamins in the flake food and they fish get the best of both foods that way

I've grown out my pair of discus from 2 inches to now 6 inches since April, and they are spawning in the tank. I've been feeding three times a day since I got them, and I have been feeding them nothing but blood worms, blackworms, and beefheart with the ocasional mysis shrimp or brine shrimp. I soak all the things I feed them in the freshwater Kent Zoe formula. as far as the white worms and micro worms go why not lace the bread that you are feeding them with a suplament like zoe so that they discus get the best of both worlds? i'v never attempted white worms so I'm not sure how my Discus will react to them. Fruit flies in the reptile trade are normaly wingless, but they can jump about as well as fleas ( I kept poison dart frogs for some time).
    I found one of the best ways to round up rogue fruit flies was to leave a slice of bananna on clean lid of like a milk jug, or something of that nature (anything that will keep it off of the shelf or floor) and place it around where you have your culture and various other parts of the room where the culture is. Check these stations regularly and you'll catch your fruit flies.

I've tried various foods for my whiteworm culture like oatmeal, vitamin laced cereal, bread soaked in milk etc. All of these go bad very quickly and leave a mess in the culture box. Whole wheat bread soaked in cold water works for me. I've never tried flake food. But why try the indirect route when you can feed your fish flake food directly. I do think there may be some merit in adding vitamin supplements.
    Joe

The reason why I asked was mine do not always eat the flake food I put it in anyway so the bottom feeders can eat it, granted my discus do eat some but they perfer the colorbits LOL. I have an order of grindal worms coming by Thursday. What do I need to get ready for their arrival?

I'm thinking of starting a culture of live food too but I'm in a condo. So I want the ones that are the least smelly, attract the least # of flies (fruit or otherwise), aren't likely to escape and freak the neighbors out, and still puts out enough to make a difference in the diet of a fair # of fish. So far white worms are sounding good but I need more info or suggestions.

Kacey

Kacey,
    White worms are one of my preferred foods for discus so have been looking into starting a culture too. From what I've heard they do not create odours etc so should be good in a condo.

http://www.aquaculturesupplies.co.uk...ltureinfo.html

Has useful info.

hth,
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Quote Originally Posted by hexed View Post
    The reason why I asked was mine do not always eat the flake food I put it in anyway so the bottom feeders can eat it, granted my discus do eat some but they perfer the colorbits LOL. I have an order of grindal worms coming by Thursday. What do I need to get ready for their arrival?
    This is funny. Mine will eat flake but not colour bits. Grindal worms are smaller than white worms but the culture process is the same. Get a box aprox 12 X 12 X 12. Fill it with clean potting soil (no fertilizer) and add the worms. You can add some food at the same time. I use soaked bread with a glass on top of it. The glass helps to keep the bread down close to the soil. Keep the box in a cool dark place.
    BTW the box will require some air holes. Keep the soil damp at all times. In about two weeks you should be able to harvest the worms.

Hi Everyone,
    I live in Western Massachusetts. Does anyone know a source to purchase white worm starter cultures? Hexed, If I am correct you live in the Wallingford area... where are you getting your grindals from?
    thanks
    peter

Thanks Paul,
    Have you grown White Worms before? I'm wondering how large a culture I'll need to feed around 20 large and assorted small discus. Do you use a plastic box or cardboard with a liner?

Kacey

Peter,
    I live in Waterbury I got mine off AquaBid, $14.50 for 1500 worms and $7.50 to ship, $22 total. Sorry but I did not want to wait LOL and the other sellers are selling them either by tiny stater cultures, quarter and 1/2 pound ones a s well, but that includes the weight of the substrate too.

Here's a link:
    http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...oodl1160458690

Got my Grindal worms today. I do not know if I set it up correctly thou
    I use a block of coconut fiber I got at Petco for $5. I put flake food on top and they all started heading for it The bucket is 11 inches long, 9 inches wide and 9 inches tall. The bedding is 6 inches deep. I have a piece of glass with a suction cup as a handle. No one said how thick the substrate is suppose to be? I think I might order some more so I have a larger culture to start with.
    Frank
    Attached Images Attached Images

Anyone ever do a CBW culture with any success?

I'm thinking about starting my own beefheart culture....Anyone got any tips?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast