AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

View Poll Results: will the discus pair eat the free swimming angels or adopt them?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • adopt them

16 36.36%
  • chow down, eat them, feast etc

28 63.64%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Discus fostering angel fry...thread renamed.

Default Discus fostering angel fry...thread renamed.

Hi all,
    heres the deal.. I have a pair of angel fish that literally lay over 500 eggs at a time...the Male fertilizes at about 100%...They will bury me in angels if I let them.. So of course seeing the cone covered with angel eggs again..I said what the heck... I took the cone out..and put it into the tank witha pair of discus.. I have screened the cone. this was 2 days ago.. The cone is now covered with hundreds of angel fish fry tails waving in the water.

The pair of discus is a mature pair that has raised discus fry before.....They have not been coached or trained to raise Angelfish fry.

What do you think will happen when the Angels go free swimming? Will Mom and Dad discus eat them or adopt them? I honestly don't know..This is a real time experiment.. Its going on right now. I am hoping that the Cone covered with Fry will look very familar to them...we'll see..

so lets see what you think?
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: Any one want to gamble on this one...no money, just for kicks...

*BURRRP!*

Registered Member

I would have to agree with Joe. Having said that, I have seen far stranger things happen with fry from other fish.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Registered Member

I vote for eaten within 3 days.

Real Name
    Mike

I want to see pics of this.

okay mike,
    I just took the screen off...just to see what wouldhappen...Screens been off nowabout 15 minutes..I don'tknowif they have even noticed the fry yet...they aren't acting like they have. At this point they are obvious to them.

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alight View Post
    I vote for eaten within 3 days.
    I was thinking something like this maybe about a week, but I would not be surprised if the do raise them, like
    Larry said, stranger things have happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikscus View Post
    I want to see pics of this.
    YES, YES pics would be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    okay mike,
    I just took the screen off...just to see what wouldhappen...Screens been off nowabout 15 minutes..I don'tknowif they have even noticed the fry yet...they aren't acting like they have. At this point they are obvious to them.

-al
    Maybe they are ignoring them to avoid the whole raising someone else's kids thing , just tell them its their duty and that they are not being ask to do it
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

The wild instinct will prevail. Discus yum yums.

Suspect that the discus will enjoy a nice littel snack, but I'm going to gamble on them adopting (well its only fun for us - life and death for the angel fry though).
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Big Discus = Picking teeth
    Lil Angel Fry = Syphoned off the bottom tomorrow as discus droppings

*edit*
    hey! its been like an hour since Al raised the screen...what happened AL?
    Last edited by Timbo; 09-30-2006 at 04:13 PM.

I put the screen back on.. LOL...I want to give the fry a little time to bond with MOM and dad...

Actually I put the screen back because the angel fry don't hold on to the substrate as well as the discus (my observation)

I figure I'll take the screen off periodically....Then once free swimming its all up to them..

Heres a few pics as requested...

-al
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 09-30-2006 at 04:41 PM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Mike

Uh.....yeah.....that is a crap load of eggs / fry. I can see why you would be ran over if they do that often. Do angels each from parents like discus?

I think they might eat a few. But what I have learned from adoptive parents in the discus world they will do just fine. I think once they get accustomed to them they will do great. JMO

Hi mike,
    No its the one major difference.. The angel parents will protect them, but the fry fend for themselves.. Unlike discus fry that need their parents slime initially, angel fry are pretty self sufficient. That said, I have to wonder if at some point in their evolution angel fry did feed from their parents sides... Reason why I say this is because the pair that laid these eggs was almost eaten alive by their fry a few months ago while I was away camping.. I have had the same happen with discus fry eating their parents.
    -al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Banned

Thumbs down Re: Any one want to gamble on this one...no money, just for kicks...

I think the discus will become frustrated with the free swimmers and eat them.
    Mat

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast