ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

View Poll Results: will the discus pair eat the free swimming angels or adopt them?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • adopt them

16 36.36%
  • chow down, eat them, feast etc

28 63.64%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Discus fostering angel fry...thread renamed.

Default Re: Any one want to gamble on this one...no money, just for kicks...

i say the same as shinshin..discus want to call them to them..and if they wont go to their body..they will get frustrated trying to get them back..and nibble.
    wasnt this done before? or the other way around? quarles..was goin on about discus fry with angels..or angel fry with discus. dont remember the results.

Hi April,
    Yes, Jim Quarles did do this opposite,,, He posted that he had some discus eggs hatched..and the angel fish reared the young to a point.....I always remembered that and wanted to see if it would work the other way.

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Kenny's Discus's Avatar

Hi Al - I wanna see pics also as the angel frys get a little bigger in the coming days! I thought about doing something similar with my albino angel frys too but just didn't get a chance to do it.(ended up having my discus pairs to raise a few german blue rams frys only j/k) I hope you will succeed Al but I myself wouldn't bet on it. I hope I'm 100% wrong on my prediction here my friend.

Kenny
    Tel: (650) 290-1283
    Email: kennysdiscus@gmail.com
    To receive future monthly shipment notifications click here: http://eepurl.com/bBqhK5

Kenny,
    I succeed either way...I get the answer to part of my questions!

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Interesting observation.. I saw the male discus looking intently thru the screen at the wigglers.. the female was pretty much clueless to their existence..

I pulled out the screen and watched closely.. the female still ignored the fry... the male on the other hand, got right up to them and intently fanned them..

A bunch got knocked off the cone so I put the screen back on... the wanders from the cone are now being Mouth Brooded by both parents! and Mom and dad are guarding this handful outside the wire...

so far its encouraging..

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Stud Muffin

Yesterday I voted for the pair adopting the Angel fry...at least in the short term anyhow. I really think the end result will be determined soley by the parental instincts of this individual pair....and even IF the fry do get eaten by this pair....I think if you kept trying with other pairs, you could, and would eventually find a pair that would take care of the angel fry without a problem....the whole 'parenting' aspect is purely instinct driven IMO...some pairs SUCK at it...while others are picture perfect examples.

Tony
    The problem with people idiot proofing things, is the resulting evolution of the idiot....

Thats a good point Tony and I agree 100%.

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Very interesting Al! I wonder what those pair are thinking...."where did these eggs come from?" You shld take a video at some point...that wld be very cool to see! So the male went up and fanned them...? Proves what has been said all along....females are much brighter

Great experiment!
    You may make the Discus/Angels/ History Archives there Al

Marie ~

I think they may be adopted by your pair... sounds like they have a very strong parenting instinct. Like Marie said, though, they'll be wondering Now when and how did these get here??? LOL.

Marie,
    that videos a good idea...My camcorders not the best..but I'll dust it off and see if I can get some good clips..

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Hi Al,
    Interesting question. In nature there are many examples of parents dropping the kids off on a totaly different species to do the rearing for them. I saw a video once where an unsuspecting cichlid had it's eggs eaten and replaced by a catfish. The catfish fry were huge by comparison and acted completely different than her offspring would act, but that wasn't enough to break the instinctual parenting drive built into the cichlids. I think they will try very hard to raise them and only give up if they are overwelmed by the sheer quantity of fry.

Kacey

Talking Re: Any one want to gamble on this one...no money, just for kicks...

Quote Originally Posted by kaceyo View Post
    Hi Al,
    Interesting question. In nature there are many examples of parents dropping the kids off on a totaly different species to do the rearing for them. I saw a video once where an unsuspecting cichlid had it's eggs eaten and replaced by a catfish. The catfish fry were huge by comparison and acted completely different than her offspring would act, but that wasn't enough to break the instinctual parenting drive built into the cichlids. I think they will try very hard to raise them and only give up if they are overwelmed by the sheer quantity of fry.

Kacey
    Synodontis multipunctatus is the catfish from Lake Tanganyika that does this, although there are others this is the most common one. The catfish fry are born first and eat the cichlid fry, by the time the female is ready to release the fry all that remains is the fat little catfish.

So far I think that the discus will make an effort to raise them but will be overwhelmed at some point from to many fry. The video would be cool Al.

I'm sure that some breeders would hope that it could work the other way around, Angel pairs raising discus fry
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

This pair has not spawned for me in almost a year..I was just about ready to split them up..

regardless of what happens here..I'll be interested to see if they start spawning again.

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Heres an update... I watched as a few fry spun of the cone, the discus try to gather them up and place them on the screen...I decided to really test this.. I pulled the screen and will leave it off... At this point the parents are both doing an awesome job of taking care of the fry..

My biggest concern is when they try to spit these angel fry out...they don't stick very well..so it may be that they think they are defective..and eat them we'll see.

I did get some really good clips of them Mouth Brooding in typical discus style...I just need to get them off the camcorder..

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

If the pair had some of their own fry I think they might adopt them but not just putting them in the tank

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast