ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Site Very Slow Since the Big Upgrade

Default Site Very Slow Since the Big Upgrade

Hi. I'm finding the site extremely slow, both when I sign on at work or at home. This has been since the upgrade. Before that, I had no problem, but now, I find that I'm having to wait 10, 20, sometimes about 30 seconds after clicking before anything will start to move. I could see if it was just at work, or just at home, or the middle of the day, but it's early a.m., late p.m. and anytime in between from either location. It seems to be fine with any other site that I visit. Both home and work have DSL. Anyone else having this problem?

Connie

Registered Member

Default Re: Site Very Slow Since the Big Upgrade

Yep
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Hmmm... I use DSL at work and satellite at home. I haven't noticed any speed or performance issues.

I installed a new extension here that changes the link names within Simply... some of you may have noticed it. The threads now say simplydiscus.com/forum/general-discussion/threadname.html rather than simplydiscus.com/forum/showthread.php?=39484 etc.

This is done with redirects, so it takes an extra step. That may be why some people have seen a noticable delay. This extension is to improve our listings in search engines.

There were no hardware upgrades to the server. The only thing that changed was the template (which should have no effect on server performance, it's strictly aesthetic) and the upgrade to a new version of forum software. I would think if there were issues with the software, I would be experiencing problems as well...

Ive noticed the slow down as well.

Makes me feel like im on dial up again.

Ive noticed the progress bar fills fast but when it goes to the next page it hangs for a bit before the page appears.

Right this second tho ..... it doesnt seem as slow as it has been.
    Last edited by CAGE-RATTLER; 10-03-2006 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CAGE-RATTLER View Post
    Ive noticed the slow down as well.

Makes me feel like im on dial up again.

Ive noticed the progress bar fills fast but when it goes to the next page it hangs for a bit before the page appears.

Right this second tho ..... it doesnt seem as slow as it has been.
    Cage, exactly - it feels like dial up!

Real Name
    Stud Muffin

Yup...Ive noticed it as well...all times of the day and night.

Tony
    The problem with people idiot proofing things, is the resulting evolution of the idiot....

Hey Guyz:

How old is you computers? It's been slow on mine because I have an old 1GHZ Pentium based laptop with a slow video processor. The new interface is so much more graphical maybe it's our computer more than the bandwidth? It reminds me of when I went from AOL 5.0 to 6.0 and wish I hadn't. Try to change your graphics settings from 32bit to 16bit and give it a try, I haven't done it, just dealing with the changes

HTH,
    Sandeep

Real Name
    Mike

I've got pretty updated computers at work and at home. I use dsl at work and cable at home and I have noticed a difference. Nothing huge for me but a difference.

It takes about 8 sec right now for me to load the main index and about the same time to enter a section!

HTH,
    Sandeep

Definately slower, and i have a brand new computer....
    Sincerely, Chris

Well, I'm afraid this is something that we'll have to live with. I'm not going to remove vBSEO after spending $150 on it. A lot of forums use it and I don't notice any major difference.

I don't think the new template here is really anymore graphical than the old one. The buttons, the gradients, the backgrounds... they were all used on the old format as well. The only difference is that I've changed colors and icons, it's still the same number of graphics and such.

I Have to be Honest here... I haven't noticed a thing different and I have 2 old lap tops here... I am on cable.

Sandeep...
    It's been slow on mine because I have an old 1GHZ Pentium based laptop with a slow video processor.
    I am using 2 very old thinkpads... a model 600 E. w/ a 300 MHZ processor ( Thats in my fish room) and a model 600X w/ a 500 mhz Processor. (Thats our main family one).

I think its safe to say I am online quite a bit as well as everyone else. I like to think I be-bop around this forum quite a bit.

Do me a favor everyone ... just incase it is a graphic issue ..... dump your browsers cache... I do that everytime I run a spyware scan...If this new software is slowing things down... that may be helpful.

I am sorry to hear that theres some issues... Ryan and I will of course try to trouble shoot them..but like he said... This software we have installed should not be causing a slow down, and its important to Ryan and I that we use it.

Its odd that neither he nor I have noticed it... I have been using both IE and Firefox browsers as well.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

It's working fine here too.

Judi
    There's two dates in time that they'll carve on your stone, and everyone knows what they mean.
    But what's more important is the time that is known, as that little dash there in between.

I definately dont think its a graphical issue at all and im on a pretty updated gaming rig with a pretty powerful video card.

It very well could be because of the re-directs.

I noticed a little while back when after replying to a post that if i hit the back button to go back to my NEW POSTS page ............. I would have to hit back a few times to get there ............ and now i just hit it once to get back to the main page. Not sure if that change is whats affecting the slow down or not ............ just thought i would mention it.

Hey Al:

Hmm, you know right now the system seems to be running a lot more quickly maybe because it's so late and not many users are on? It's really hard to say where the bottleneck is. We could both have cable and you could be running fast and mine could be horribly slow, there are many local issues with the networks. I was just thinking it must be my machine because of my experience with upgrading AOL software.

thanks,
    Sandeep

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast