ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canister filters

Question Canister filters

I know several use them including myself, but I'd like to know what brands you use and why they are so good? I currently have in use 2 Fluvals, an older 203 as well as a newer 404 that I absolutely love for the ease of priming. Both work extremely well.....I guess my question is how do you feel a Fluval stacks up against say an Eheim? I am looking to get 2 more canisters to go all canister filtration on my other 2 tanks. Those would still be run in conjunction with the Biowheels I have in use now. The one downside to the Fluval 203 I have is that it's a serious BI!TCH to get primed when you go to change/clean sponges etc. Granted my tank water is clean but not so clean I want it in my mouth as I suck start the 203 lol. Ahhh the beauty and ease of some of the "plunger" style or 1 button priming systems. So any input and recomendations are deeply appreciated!
    TIA
    George
    Last edited by Jarrod; 10-05-2006 at 03:46 PM.
    Discus an ADDICTION but at least a legal one with no KNOWN cure! 2 -55 gal 1 -29 gal 1-25 gal 6 Sunshines,2 Candy Apple Reds,4 Scribbled Reds,4 White Diamonds

Default Re: Canister filters

There are other things you should look for too, there are:

1. media capcity and media options (lack there of or flexibility)
    2. Ease of cleaning (and putting back together after cleaning)
    3. cost of replacement parts and availability
    4. Size of hoses
    5. gph output
    6. reliability
    7. cost
    8. noise

I've been happy with my Rena Filstar XP3. It can take many types of media, is easy to clean and prime, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. It is also readily available.

On my big tank though I'm going to try out a Fluval FX5. We'll see if it's all that it claims

Magnum 350's can be a pain in the *** with it's clips and O rings.

I also have an Eheim 2229, and it has high cost, isn't that easy to prime (have the extra priming aid),is noisey, and that it only has a choice of 2 filter medias, I may send it packing.

Tina

George I have tried most makes of cannister filters, keep coming back to eheims though. The classics are just about the best in terms of simplicity, value and efficiency. Simple masterful design, and they go forever too. Many 'beat' them on paper, but not in the real world. Again just my opinion
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Quote Originally Posted by tpl*co View Post
    I've been happy with my Rena Filstar XP3. It can take many types of media, is easy to clean and prime, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. It is also readily available.
    These are good, I've got one, but they are noisey to me.

I also have an Eheim 2229, and it has high cost, isn't that easy to prime (have the extra priming aid),is noisey, and that it only has a choice of 2 filter medias, I may send it packing.

Tina
    To me please
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Quote Originally Posted by pcsb23 View Post
    George I have tried most makes of cannister filters, keep coming back to eheims though. The classics are just about the best in terms of simplicity, value and efficiency. Simple masterful design, and they go forever too. Many 'beat' them on paper, but not in the real world. Again just my opinion
    But Paul, the Classics aren't self priming. That's a big consideration.

Tina

Quote Originally Posted by tpl*co View Post
    But Paul, the Classics aren't self priming. That's a big consideration.

Tina
    Nope they are not, but they are still simplicity itself.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Real Name
    Jim

Agree with Paul, the Eheim classics are the best there is. I fill mine with tank water before closing and hooking the hoses back up so priming not an issue

Jim
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Smile Re: Canister filters

Noise isn't so much an issue with me as is the ease of priming. I do like the idea of multiple filtering agents being able to be used and the ease of adding and cleaning the media and getting it in use. Such as the 404 has which I also find very quiet along with the 203. I have been seriously looking at the various canister brands along with prices and so far I am not seeing any huge ironclad differences in them other than abviously the prices. My biggest concern is the maintanence or should I say ease of maintanence in regards to priming and such. I do sometimes wonder if they are even running they are so quiet lol...in fact I have even gone so far as to stick my hand in front of the spray bar/exhaust tube to make sure they are lol. I do not shut them down even on my wc days just making sure I don't take the water down to the level below the intake tubes.
    George
    Discus an ADDICTION but at least a legal one with no KNOWN cure! 2 -55 gal 1 -29 gal 1-25 gal 6 Sunshines,2 Candy Apple Reds,4 Scribbled Reds,4 White Diamonds

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    Agree with Paul, the Eheim classics are the best there is. I fill mine with tank water before closing and hooking the hoses back up so priming not an issue

Jim
    I have done the filling with tank water thing with the 203 as well but it will never function until I "suck" start it. So to me ease of priming and getting running is paramount. That is one of the reasons I like the 404 so much. But I am not so "set in stone" that I will only consider Fluval. All I truly want is a canister to go on 1 of my 55's and my 29 gal. tank that will not cost me an arm and a leg and is reasonably easy to get set up and running and maintain.
    LOL it's not something I want to have to have to fight with or give my first born child to either to be able to afford...ok ok bad joke lol. But I think you all know what I mean by that statement.
    George

Registered Member

George,
    I find myself in the uneviable postion of disagreeing with both Paul and Jim. I have an Eheim 2213 which I absolutely HATE. It cost WAY too much, does a truly horrible job as a filter and is VERY difficult to clean. Of all the cannisters I own it is the one I like least. It IS quiet, and I'm sure it will run forever, but those are not qualities I am terribly concerned with.

Like Tina I'll take an XP3 over any other cannister filter. Easy to operate, fairly quiet, large media capacity that is very flexible. Simple to start and very easy to clean. Plus they are not very expensive.

I own 3 Odyssea CFS4's which I feel are so-so in their operation. Not nearly as easy to clean as an XP3, good media capacity (4 trays) not terribly easy to start (even though they have the one button thingie) fairly quiet, not as powerful as an XP3, but not terribly less either. They are very inexpensive (mine cost about $60 including shipping) very flexible as far as configuration in the tank goes. I would not use one on a tank larger than 55 gallons. The trays have a pipe running through one side so using media in a bag is pretty much out. All in all not a bad filter especially if price is a concern.

The FX5 I don't have any direct knowledge of. I do know that Harriet has one and she loves hers. It has a drain feature that I personally find pretty darn neat! (You can pretty much drain your whole tank through the filter) but they are for VERY LARGE (150 gallon and over) tanks (I believe Tina will probably find hers is a bit of over kill on her 130)
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just want to put my vote in for the Rena XP3. Love it! So, so easy and idiot proof. Especially nice are the super large media baskets, ease of unhooking, awesome self priming. I have mine under a tank in our bedroom and find it very quiet.

I purchased mine for around $90 US plus shipping. I think it is a "lot of bang for the buck."

Quote Originally Posted by lhforbes12 View Post
    George,
    I find myself in the uneviable postion of disagreeing with both Paul and Jim. I have an Eheim 2213 which I absolutely HATE. It cost WAY too much, does a truly horrible job as a filter and is VERY difficult to clean. Of all the cannisters I own it is the one I like least. It IS quiet, and I'm sure it will run forever, but those are not qualities I am terribly concerned with.

Like Tina I'll take an XP3 over any other cannister filter. Easy to operate, fairly quiet, large media capacity that is very flexible. Simple to start and very easy to clean. Plus they are not very expensive.
    Once again I agree with Larry, XP3 over any other . I've only had a handful of clients that have used the Eheims(one paid crazy $$$$ for the biggest eheim I've seen way bigger than the FX5) and only one liked the results(looks like the spokesman for Eheim ) most were very dissapointed.

After they have tried Fluvals, renas and eheims. The comments are usually the same fluvals are the best at polishing the water, eheims cost too much and do little and renas are inexpensive, easier to set up and operate and are foolproof.
    BTW, I've used the renas in different applications from nanos(saltwater and planted) to monster tanks in the 210-350g(multiple filters)

I almost dish out for the FX5 and at wholesale price with a big discount was still at the $200 plus mark! I still don't know anyone that could have provided feedback so I went for another XP for bio and a custom made polishing filter plumbed through a closed loop!
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Registered Member

My first canister filter was an Eheim Pro II 2128. Love the filter and the built in heater, quiet, had no problems. Of course, it being the first canister filter I ever used, I have nothing to compare it with. I later purchased an Eheim Ecco 2236, a little cheaper, quiet, easier to use, becuase it comes with a nice handle. Also had no problems.

I was looking to get another filter in addition to the 2128 on my 125 gallon tank. I've heard allot of negative reviews regarding Fluval from a planted tank forum I belong to, so I decided against it. In the same forums, I read some positive reviews, as well as a few negatives, with the FilStar, so I figured to try it out. I purchased the FilStar XP3 to run along the Eheim Pro II 2128. The XP3 pushes allot more water than the Eheim, but the XP3 slows down allot faster when it becomes dirtier, compared to the 2128. In a previous discussion, I compared both filters as Torque (Eheim Pro II 2128) vs HP (FilStar XP3). The FilStar may pull ahead with more GPH, but eventually slows down in the long run when it gets dirtier. I do not notice any type of slowing down with the Eheim 2128. Keep in mind, although I do have a GPH meter, this is only a visual test. But if you were here to witness, it is not hard how drastically the XP3 slows down in comparison to the Eheim Pro 2128.

As I mentioned, I use both filters on my 125 gallon tank. Therefore, both filters sit next to each other, in the cabinet, under the tank. The FilStar XP3 is allot noisier than the Eheim Pro II 2128. If I turn off the Eheim Pro II 2128, I can definetly hear the FilStar XP3. On the other hand, if I turn off the XP3, it is hard to tell if the Eheim is running.

I like the Eheim Ecco filters, becuase the canister part has a handle, which makes it easy to carry it to the sink to empty/clean out. The handle also serves as a primer/locking mechanism.

IMO, if you want to get filters for a 55 gallon tank or smaller, go with an Eheim Ecco filter for the money. The Eheim Eccos come with everything, including all the media, so you can set it up out of the box. I know the FilStar filters need additional media.

Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post

I was looking to get another filter in addition to the 2128 on my 125 gallon tank. I've heard allot of negative reviews regarding Fluval from a planted tank forum I belong to, so I decided against it. In the same forums, I read some positive reviews, as well as a few negatives, with the FilStar, so I figured to try it out. I purchased the FilStar XP3 to run along the Eheim Pro II 2128. The XP3 pushes allot more water than the Eheim, but the XP3 slows down allot faster when it becomes dirtier, compared to the 2128. In a previous discussion, I compared both filters as Torque (Eheim Pro II 2128) vs HP (FilStar XP3). The FilStar may pull ahead with more GPH, but eventually slows down in the long run when it gets dirtier. I do not notice any type of slowing down with the Eheim 2128. Keep in mind, although I do have a GPH meter, this is only a visual test. But if you were here to witness, it is not hard how drastically the XP3 slows down in comparison to the Eheim Pro 2128.
    The reason being that less water is bypassed by the rena that it is for the eheim, that plus the fact that the renas has more gph probably means it filters more water. I've only experienced the clogging issues when running reactors or uv in line or when maintenance is less, also happens in riccia infested tanks
    GOOD metaphor for comparing the filters, torque vs hp
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Registered Member

I have an Ehiem 2227 wet dry filter. If I was buying a new filter, I would not get it. The reason is the wet dry function seems to startle the Discus. I've only had the Discus for about 4 weeks now and they do seem to be getting use to it. But I still see the Discus react whenever the water kicks into high gear...

I would buy another Ehiem but probabbly the Ehiem Pro 2.

Dave

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast