AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canister filters

Thumbs up Re: Canister filters

I'm getting some awsome feedback on this! Still trying to decide which one is most suitable and easy to use. I do like the concept of "idiot" proof lol...which would suit me very well...lmao I am never in the mind that a tank can be overfiltered. To me there is never too much of it. I do have to admit cost is a consideration for most all of us in some way or another. I think I'm going to have to go back and re-read every post on this and try to narrow my choices down to cost and ease of priming. Those 2 items being my own major concerns. I have been considering the Eheims as well as the Fluvals so now I get to go back and do some more research on them all. Everything you all have shared with me re: this subject is awesome and deeply appreciated. Any other input and info is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks again EVERYONE!!
    George
    Discus an ADDICTION but at least a legal one with no KNOWN cure! 2 -55 gal 1 -29 gal 1-25 gal 6 Sunshines,2 Candy Apple Reds,4 Scribbled Reds,4 White Diamonds

Registered Member

Default Re: Canister filters

Hello Jarrod, I've been using a Rena XP-3 for over 2 years and I am very happy with the product.
    Big filtering capacity, sturdy construction, big media baskets, quiet, easy to prime and cost wise: much less than Eheim, a little more than Fluval filters but much better quality.
    Price vs Quality: A very good product.
    Hope this helps

Jazz

Thanks Jazz I'm looking at Renas as well and so far I'm liking what I am seeing. Thanks for the input!!
    George
    Discus an ADDICTION but at least a legal one with no KNOWN cure! 2 -55 gal 1 -29 gal 1-25 gal 6 Sunshines,2 Candy Apple Reds,4 Scribbled Reds,4 White Diamonds

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod View Post
    I'm getting some awsome feedback on this! Still trying to decide which one is most suitable and easy to use. I do like the concept of "idiot" proof lol...which would suit me very well...lmao I am never in the mind that a tank can be overfiltered. To me there is never too much of it. I do have to admit cost is a consideration for most all of us in some way or another. I think I'm going to have to go back and re-read every post on this and try to narrow my choices down to cost and ease of priming. Those 2 items being my own major concerns. I have been considering the Eheims as well as the Fluvals so now I get to go back and do some more research on them all. Everything you all have shared with me re: this subject is awesome and deeply appreciated. Any other input and info is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks again EVERYONE!!
    George
    George, would this help any in your decision?

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...canisterfilter

LOL, you can get an XP3 for less than $100! I must admit my XP3 is the easiest to set up and clean. I agree it does slow down when dirty, and you have to make sure there are no kinks in the hose, but other than that it is a work horse! Another feature I like on it is that you can adjust the output on the filter (more or less flow) which I didn't have on my Magnum or Eheim.

I still haven't taken the FX5 outa the box, Yeah Larry, I'm into maximum filtration! At least 5x the tank volume per hour if you please . The tank is supposed to be a 135 gallon I believe, but it is still holding air at the moment . Cost me a lot of in store credit at the LFS and then a little bit of change but it was only $10 more than the XP4 at the store. The store clerk also suggested it would probably be better for my size tank since the XP4 had a lower GPH (up to 450 gph). (still in the box, I could change my mind).

One note though, make sure you have your spray bar above water level to agitate the water and replenish oxygen. I made the mistake of having the bar below water one time and woke up to gasping fish (pre discus era)

more info on XP3:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=3602

Tina
    Last edited by tpl*co; 10-06-2006 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tpl*co View Post

LOL, you can get an XP3 for less than $100! I must admit my XP3 is the easiest to set up and clean. I agree it does slow down when dirty, and you have to make sure there are no kinks in the hose, but other than that it is a work horse! Another feature I like on it is that you can adjust the output on the filter (more or less flow) which I didn't have on my Magnum or Eheim.

I still haven't taken the FX5 outa the box, Yeah Larry, I'm into maximum filtration! At least 5x the tank volume per hour if you please . The tank is supposed to be a 135 gallon I believe, but it is still holding air at the moment . Cost me a lot of in store credit at the LFS and then a little bit of change but it was only $10 more than the XP4 at the store. The store clerk also suggested it would probably be better for my size tank since the XP4 had a lower GPH (up to 450 gph). (still in the box, I could change my mind).

One note though, make sure you have your spray bar above water level to agitate the water and replenish oxygen. I made the mistake of having the bar below water one time and woke up to gasping fish (pre discus era)

more info on XP3:

Tina
    Yes Tina that does help! TYVM!. I'm still playing the debating game tho lol... But I AM narrowing my choices down. To me now it's down to if this is narrowing it at all LOL between Fluval, Eheim, and Rena...each of them has their advantages and plus's and each in different ways. Ahhhh decisions decisions! LOL like anyone else I am mainly concerned with cost obviously and ease of setup and maintenance above all. So hence my starting this thread.
    George

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by tpl*co View Post

more info on XP3:

Tina
    Tina,
    As you already know, I have since changed my mind. I think you should keep the FX5

George,
    Get the XP3, best cannister filter I have ever owned and I do have Eheim's. Easiest to start, best media capacity, and it actually cleans your tank (unlike my Eheims), and has already been said, they are inexpensive too.
    Last edited by lhforbes12; 10-11-2006 at 01:58 PM.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Thanks Larry!! As I said I'm still up in ther air and trying to decide the best route for my fish and me too is all...lol have to admit tho that MY ease is
    outweighing my fishes health and well being. LOL Since I'm the one that has to do all the work so to speak. It's not that I mind the work at all....but more the fact that if I am doing it then I want it to go as fast and easily as possible...ok ok so I'm lazy lmao. Well maybe not lazy in the truest sense of the word but never one to pass up the opportunity to decrease my work load!
    Thanks Larry!
    George

Registered Member

I inherited an Eheim Pro II 2026 with a 72g tank I bought from a guy a while back--it's a really nice filter, I hate priming it. I'd be hunched like Quasimoto under the cabinet trying to get enough strength on top of it to push the button down enough...you get the picture. Like doing CPR on a very dead dummy. Then I accidentally snapped off the lever that connects/disconnects the hoses (don't ask--it was just a bad day). Got another part from Eheim...but my point is that in the meantime, I had no filter to run on this tank, so my son brought over a new Cascade 1000 for the interim....I previously thought they were crappy for some reason, but this thing filters as well as the Eheim, is totally quiet, and way easier to connect/disconnect the hoses. It's been running for 4+ months and I'm not going to bother putting the Eheim back on. What a surprize.

I have an original Eheim 2213 and HATE it. Between the little locking wings sticking and the terrible priming issue (water water everywhere), I put it in the back of a closet. I'd only use it maybe in an emergency. Great filtering capacity, as with all Eheims, but very user not friendly.

As said, for a bigger tank I am liking the FX5--got tired of the problems with my wet/dry.
    Best regards
    Harriett

Hmm Harriet...I am thankful to know this aspect of Eheims. But ANYTHING canister wise would be easier to prime than my old fluval 202! Talk about a real mother LOL. The Fluval 404 I've got is like the difference between night and day to get primed.
    George

Registered Member

George
    It's ALL about quality of life with the maintanence issue, right? I just know that when I have a canister that is a no brainer to clean, I do it on schedule---I also know that the one that gives me a knot in my stomach....I end up rationalizing why I can put off cleaning the filter until 'next time' too often and then I am not doing what I need to do for my fishs' health--it's a rediculous compromise. Live and learn.
    Best regards
    Harriett

Murphy's Law of Canister or filter cleaning-

Never clean a filter late at night after all stores are closed, you'll never get them re-going if you do!

Magnums also follow this rule, lots of O rings and clips that have to line up perfectly. When you do that though they work.

Again, the XP3 is the easiest to put together and maintain, the only problem I had with mine was it would occationally have trouble when I had it in a less than ideal situation where it was only about 13" below the top of the tank and the hoses were horizontal in places. Even in these conditions it worked!

The Eheim 2229 can only take 2 types of media and is basically a biological wet/dry filter with "breathing". It has where it periodically fills and empties (and the water comes out of the spray bar slow and fast).

Tina

Registered Member

George,
    No one else has mentioned this so I will. With an XP3 you prime the very first time you set it up. From there on out it never needs to be primed again. You simply raise the lever, which releases BOTH hoses at the same time, and also shuts them off. When you are done you simply replace the lever that has both hoses attached, lower the lever and it self primes. No other cannister is anywhere near this simple to clean and keep maintained. I clean mine once a week, not because I need to, but because it's so simple there is no reason not to.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Yes Harriet it IS a quality of life issue for me anyways...I don't feel badly about how much "work" I put into my tanks and my fish at all. But I DO like to keep things as easy as possible for my own SANITY'S sake lol. The 203 (fluval) I absolutely dread trying to do any maintenence on that requires me to take the top off to clean. The 404 also a fluval I have no issues with whatsoever. So to me easy is a good thing!
    George

LOL Tina I make it a point to NEVER EVER do any tank work at all that late in the day or evening. I tend to start all my wc's in the morning hours as early as my SO gets up and is able to help me.
    George

Thumbs up Re: Canister filters

Thanks Larry!! That to me is a VERY strong point for me to take into consideration. I would love to be able to do all my filters weekly like I know I should and want to!! I do all my hob filters weekly completely taking them off and apart to clean them out. The HOB filters are generally easy to deal with but like any other discus fanatic I want the best possible conditions for them too. That's why I want to run the canisters in conjunction with the hob's.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by lhforbes12 View Post
    George,
    No one else has mentioned this so I will. With an XP3 you prime the very first time you set it up. From there on out it never needs to be primed again. You simply raise the lever, which releases BOTH hoses at the same time, and also shuts them off. When you are done you simply replace the lever that has both hoses attached, lower the lever and it self primes. No other cannister is anywhere near this simple to clean and keep maintained. I clean mine once a week, not because I need to, but because it's so simple there is no reason not to.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast