AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canister filters

Default Re: Canister filters

One thing here which I do with all of my cannisters that don't have them. I fit taps just after the point the hose enters the cannister. Then when they need cleaning, turn the taps off, do the business, put it all back together, switch the inlet, then outlet back on, no priming - nice and easy.

Also if you fit prefilter sponges on the intake syou do not have to touch the cannisters for anything up to a few months depending on load and feeding.

George eheim's rock

Take care my friend.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Thanks Paul for the tip! I'm sitting here trying to visualize the tap setup you mentioned on the hoses. I'm assuming most probably wrongly that you put them on both the intake and exhaust hoses? I'm not sure if the 203 that I have on the 25 gal qt/hosp tank would be of sufficient size for me to move over to my 55 gal that is housing my sunshines, I don't think given the fact there are 6 sunshines in it that get fed 4 times a day as do my other 3 tanks the 203 would be able to get the job I want done properly even with the Penguin 350 biowheel and the sponge filter in operation. The 25 is completely empty of fish now. The only one I had in it was my BN that my son bought me as a belated bd present and it was moved over to the 29 that houses my WD's. The bn went thru a 4 week qt and about a week after I moved it I found it dead while doing a wc laying behind the sponge filter. I am looking very hard at eheims as well as the renas. Hard for me to make up my mind totally as I have a deal or two in the works on canisters. Like everyone else it all hinges on financial statuse at any given time. Take care Paul and thanks for the reply and the input...it's deeply appreciated.
    George
    Last edited by Jarrod; 10-14-2006 at 05:47 PM.
    Discus an ADDICTION but at least a legal one with no KNOWN cure! 2 -55 gal 1 -29 gal 1-25 gal 6 Sunshines,2 Candy Apple Reds,4 Scribbled Reds,4 White Diamonds

Rena XP3!!!! A "trash can" with filter media in it...One of the best filters on the market for sure! I will never buy any other canister filter except these.

Like Larry mentioned, ya prime it when ya first set it up an never have to prime it again. Cleans up nice an easy as well.

Hey Jarrod

I am using a new Eheim Pro 3 #2080 it is larger than most canister filters and holds lots of medea. This filter is equipt with a hand pump built into the top of the filter for very easy priming, just put the filter back together and give it about ten pumps and start the pump and enjoy. This is my second eheim canister filter years ago i had a Eheim wet dry filter 2229 and it was a good filter but it was not that easy to prime. The 2080 is silent you cant even tell that its running exept for the fact that the water is moving. It's enough filter to handle up to a 320 gallon tank. The only bad thing that i have found with this filter is the price, it costs around $400 from a store but I found mine on ebay for about $300. Good luck with your choice.

Eric

Registered Member

This is the first time I’ve ever posted on a forum (anywhere). I’ve found this thread to be very useful for me because I’m in the middle of a problem with my Eheim 2226 canister filter. After cleaning and replacing the media I put it back together to discover a large leak between the motor housing and the canister. I need to replace the canister gasket, but I’m thinking I should also replace the rest of the o-rings in the filter while I’m at it. If I order the gaskets from Eheim it will cost about $45; I could get them cheaper from other places online, but no one supplier has all three sets of gaskets (requiring several orders). Meanwhile my discus tank is without filtration for several days. While researching my problem I came across a disturbing thread regarding similar leaking problems with Eheim Pro 1 and the newer Eheim Pro 2 (where the primer O-ring is difficult to service and potentially leaky).

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/eq...r-service.html

I consider my self an Eheim snob, but the idea that I could get a Rena Filstar for about twice the cost of my replacement gaskets is interesting. I may just get one and keep my 2226 as an emergency back-up. I have a 75 gallon tank with a fairly heavy load of fish, would the XP3 be appropriate for my tank?

My other question is in regards to my current emergency: Can I get by for the next several days simply using an airstone (or a sponge filter), and doing daily water changes until I pick up my new filter?

Registered Member

My first dive into canister filters was an Eheim Pro II 2128 (built in heater), which I used on my 55 gallon tank. Having no other comparison, besides my Marineland Emperor 280 and 400 HOB filters, I couldn't really say too much about them. Having had the Eheim 2128 for over 3 years now, I never had any problems. Knowing I was going to upgrade my 55 gallon to a 125 gallon, I decided to add another filter for additional filtration. Not wanting to spend allot of money, I found that the Filstars were high rated, not as high as Eheims, so I purchased a Rena FilStar XP3. I use both the Eheim 2128 and the FilStar XP3 on my 125 gallon tank. I replaced the media on the XP3 to use the same as my Eheim. I found the XP3 was allot noisier compared to the 2128. If I turn the 2128 off and leave the XP3 on, I can tell the XP3 was running, even if enclosed inside my cabinet. If I turn off XP3 and leave the 2128 on, it is hard for me to know if the Eheim was running UNLESS I put my ear very close to the filter. Another thing I found was, although the XP3 produces more GPH, the XP3 seems to slow down allot faster when it becomes clogged. Therefore, I much prefer the Eheim Pro II much over the FilStar XP3.

I am currently replacing my HOBs with Eheim Ecco filters. I love these filters, becuase of they multi-purpose handle. It serves to help prime the filter, shut-off the water flow, and is very convenient for carrying the filte to the sink.
    125g: 6*Discus, 2*Angels, 5*Clown loaches, 4* L-018 Gold Nugget pleco, L-260 Queen Arabesque, 8*Cories, Farlowella cat
    20g long: 2*L-046 Zebra pleco, 1*L-183 Starlight bristlenose pleco, 30+* Cherry shrimp, 2*Amano shrimp, 5*Otocinclus, Farlowella cat

I have 2 Eheim 2215 (one on a SA tank, one on a baby front growout), a 2217 and a 2028 (both on a 125g frontosa tank).

The filters are quiet, not too bad to clean out (especially the 2028), and are rmarkably easy on "accessories" after the purchase.

I love them. I also havent owned anything else, so I might have a perspective issue.

Cheers

Registered Member

I am running XP3, Fluval 405 and a Ehiem 2028. My choice is the Fluval. Ehiem your paying for a name very limited on what you can put in as far as media is concerned, The Fluval and XP3, you can put what ever media you want in them no tube running down the side of them like the Ehiem. I found the Fluval a little easier to restart after cleaning. Althought I do find that you have to be carefull when removing the hose on the Fluval as the pressure seems to spray water out if you do it too quickly. I ams selling my Ehiem and going to replace it with 2 AC500's.
    JMO

I am possibly the only one here to use a Hydor canister! I have had one for over 3 years now, since they were branded by Petsmart, I bought this one, the larger model when they were on inventory reduction sale for about $40, I could not pass!!!! I love this filter, quiet, high flow, extremely easy to use, clean, and prime, and never had a problem. My output is split between the regular output and two bio-wheels, there is a lot of movement in the water and the fish love the bio-wheels coming into the tank.

One thing about the XP3, be carefull what kind of pressure you apply on it, meaning, if the tank is over 150gl or so, the water pressure may make the filter leak! I had two tanks set in my club, both over 200gl, and they were using multiple XP3 (no, I did not set them up), and both tank drained to the floor! The filter gaskets (?) could not handle the water pressure. Both tanks now run Fluvals.

I just purchased an XP5, as soon as I have some info I will post!

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by BrianO View Post
    This is the first time I’ve ever posted on a forum (anywhere). I’ve found this thread to be very useful for me because I’m in the middle of a problem with my Eheim 2226 canister filter. After cleaning and replacing the media I put it back together to discover a large leak between the motor housing and the canister. I need to replace the canister gasket, but I’m thinking I should also replace the rest of the o-rings in the filter while I’m at it. If I order the gaskets from Eheim it will cost about $45; I could get them cheaper from other places online, but no one supplier has all three sets of gaskets (requiring several orders). Meanwhile my discus tank is without filtration for several days. While researching my problem I came across a disturbing thread regarding similar leaking problems with Eheim Pro 1 and the newer Eheim Pro 2 (where the primer O-ring is difficult to service and potentially leaky).

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/eq...r-service.html

I consider my self an Eheim snob, but the idea that I could get a Rena Filstar for about twice the cost of my replacement gaskets is interesting. I may just get one and keep my 2226 as an emergency back-up. I have a 75 gallon tank with a fairly heavy load of fish, would the XP3 be appropriate for my tank?

My other question is in regards to my current emergency: Can I get by for the next several days simply using an airstone (or a sponge filter), and doing daily water changes until I pick up my new filter?
    Hi Brian. I have a 75 with 8 5-6" discus, 12 cardinals, a BN pleco and a cory cat. I'm using the XP3. At first I wondered if it was enough filtration, as I was used to running an AC500 on my 45 g tank which turned the water over 10 times per hour, with media, compared to 2.5 times per hour, with media, with the XP3 on the 75 g tank. However I have to say that my water is crystal clear and the XP3 seems to be doing a terrific job.
    Connie
    So Many Fish... So Little Tank Space

Registered Member

My tank is similar in that it is 75g, with 6 discus, 20 cardinals, 25 cory’s (a mass adoption), one pleco, and 10 shrimp. I appreciate your advice about the XP3 filter. As it turns out I almost feel like deleting my original concerns about my Eheim, since I found a source for all the gaskets I wanted to replace, and for a reasonable price (Big Als). I was pretty frustrated with by leaking Eheim when I wrote the message, but upon reflection I feel it was really my own fault because (I now realize) the filter is over 6 years old and the gaskets and o-rings won’t last forever. From now on I plan to keep a complete set of gaskets and o-rings on hand and use a silicon-based lubricant every time I clean the media. Last night I replaced the gaskets and the filter is running (silently) and the tank is crystal clear again.

Brian

Registered Member

You are right Brian. All things considered, the Eheims are some of the best canisters available. It is like comparing a BMW to a chevy. The chevy costs less, but you get what you pay for . . .

Mike
    Mike Witek
    Napa CA

My tank is similar in that it is 75g, with 6 discus, 20 cardinals, 25 cory’s (a mass adoption), one pleco, and 10 shrimp. I appreciate your advice about the XP3 filter. As it turns out I almost feel like deleting my original concerns about my Eheim, since I found a source for all the gaskets I wanted to replace, and for a reasonable price (Big Als). I was pretty frustrated with by leaking Eheim when I wrote the message, but upon reflection I feel it was really my own fault because (I now realize) the filter is over 6 years old and the gaskets and o-rings won’t last forever. From now on I plan to keep a complete set of gaskets and o-rings on hand and use a silicon-based lubricant every time I clean the media. Last night I replaced the gaskets and the filter is running (silently) and the tank is crystal clear again.

Brian
    Hi Brian,
    I have a 2026 eheim filter that seems to be leaking exactly like you describe,and like the guy from the planted tank.Can you give a list from big al's of seals and O rings you replaced to take care of your problem. I'm not sure if your filter has the push to prime, but I might be able to get the seals you bought to see if it will help me. If it doesnt then I guess I will need the same big orange O ring the guy needs in the planted tank forum.That unfortunetly is not available. I would have to send my unit back to canada to get fixed.
    Thanks
    Teresa

Cancer Survivor..... Glad to be finally free!!!!!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by tpastrana View Post
    Hi Brian,
    I have a 2026 eheim filter that seems to be leaking exactly like you describe,and like the guy from the planted tank.Can you give a list from big al's of seals and O rings you replaced to take care of your problem. I'm not sure if your filter has the push to prime, but I might be able to get the seals you bought to see if it will help me. If it doesnt then I guess I will need the same big orange O ring the guy needs in the planted tank forum.That unfortunetly is not available. I would have to send my unit back to canada to get fixed.
    Thanks
    Teresa
    I have the 2226 (Professional 1) which does not have the (orange?) o-ring in the pump primer. What I did to get my O-rings from Big-Als was I called them and gave them the Eheim part numbers (from the manual ) and they gave me the Big Al part number (this is much easier then trying to hunt for them online). Then I had to go online to the Big Als website and enter the Big Al part number to order the part. The woman I spoke to over the phone was quite helpful and got the part numbers very quickly. The o-ring that gave me problems was between the pumphead and the canister. If your problem is with the o-ring in the pumphead (the siphon primer), then I’m not sure how this part is replaced. I could be wrong about this but you may have to send the entire pumphead back to Eheim to get the siphon primer o-ring replaced. I would replace the canister gasket first to see if that works before you go to that trouble.

The website Eheimparts.com is also useful for getting Eheim part numbers (and parts), they just seem to have very high prices.

I have the 2226 (Professional 1) which does not have the (orange?) o-ring in the pump primer. What I did to get my O-rings from Big-Als was I called them and gave them the Eheim part numbers (from the manual ) and they gave me the Big Al part number (this is much easier then trying to hunt for them online). Then I had to go online to the Big Als website and enter the Big Al part number to order the part. The woman I spoke to over the phone was quite helpful and got the part numbers very quickly. The o-ring that gave me problems was between the pumphead and the canister. If your problem is with the o-ring in the pumphead (the siphon primer), then I’m not sure how this part is replaced. I could be wrong about this but you may have to send the entire pumphead back to Eheim to get the siphon primer o-ring replaced. I would replace the canister gasket first to see if that works before you go to that trouble.

The website Eheimparts.com is also useful for getting Eheim part numbers (and parts), they just seem to have very high prices.
    Thanks Brian,
    That's what I figured. I replaced the seal you are talking about already. I took apart my entire filter. I found the orange O ring the guy was talking about. I couldnt find anything wrong with the orange O ring. It looked fine. I cleaned it and put it back with some vaseline. But no good. Maybe it's just old. The only seals I havent replaced is the small O rings that go to the intake & out take piece. I appreciate the reply though. I have a feeling I will be sending mine to Eheim
    Teresa

Cancer Survivor..... Glad to be finally free!!!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast