AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Peat Moss at Home Depot

Registered Member diamond_discus's Avatar

Default Peat Moss at Home Depot

Well, I wen to Home Depot last night, as some of you suggested, to get some Canadian Peat Moss. The only thing I found is a big bag of Canadian Peat Moss for ~$9.0, but it has Miracle Grow chemical added in. I don't think this will work for discus fish. So I didn't buy it. Where else can I buy Peat Moss that will work for fish ?

I have a 35 gallon trash can to age water. The aged water is still 8.2 ph. How much peat moss should I use to lower the pH to 7.0 ?

Registered Member

Default Re: Peat Moss at Home Depot

Canadian Peat Moss is a staple for any place that sells plants. I'm surprised your Home Depot only has the one kind, although depending where you are located it may be very late in the gardening season and they may not have any atm. Any hardware store, gardening center, Wal-Mart, K-Mart or similar handles it.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Depending on the make up of your water you may find that the amount of peat moss needed to lower your ph will be great. It is difficult to tell without knowing the minerals that are buffering your water. You may find that you will need a strong acid like HCL to lower it.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

If you look by the house plant fertilizer section you will find 3 lbs bags of peat.
    Last edited by TRAKURT; 10-20-2006 at 05:25 PM.

Can you tell me the exact brand name for those 3 lbs peat moss ?

I am very nervous about getting the wrong type of peat moss that has chemical in it which might kill my fish. I did something terrible a few days ago during WC that kill some of my frys. I don't want to have any chance to kill my adult discus.

Thanks for your help.

Registered Member

http://www.scotts.com/index.cfm/even...0543cec50fc840

The only thing I didnt like about the product is that its very fine.

Real Name
    Stud Muffin

We buy our peat in 3.8 cubic foot bails from Home Depot. I think it's about 10 bucks per bail. Home Depot doesn't list it on their website (probably because their website sucks beyond belief) But Premier Horticulture lists Home Depot as their main retailer on their 'locator'.

This is the stuff....Its under "Soil Conditioning"...It's called PRO-MOSS.

http://www.premierhort.com/eProMix/G...fGardening.htm

BTW, I have to agree with Paul...You may be disappointed with the results you get from Peat filtered water. It DOES work....but you may need to use very large amounts to achieve your desired end result. It's typically very messy as well.

Tony
    The problem with people idiot proofing things, is the resulting evolution of the idiot....

Hmm, if it's so messy to generate very little result, then how come so many of the expert here are still using peat moss ?

If I don't use it, what else can I use to lower the PH and soften the water ? I have been using Acid Buffer and Discus Buffer for my breeding tank, along with a mixture of tap water (8.2 PH) and kitchen filtered drinking water (at 6.4 PH).

Maybe I should give up trying the peat moss then.

Hi,
    If you mix RO water with your tap to decrease the mineral content , then the peat will have a bigger impact imo.
    A tds meter will tell you how hard or soft (amount of minerals in the water) your current water is.

hth
    Ardan

Quote Originally Posted by Ardan View Post
    Hi,
    If you mix RO water with your tap to decrease the mineral content , then the peat will have a bigger impact imo.
    A tds meter will tell you how hard or soft (amount of minerals in the water) your current water is.

hth
    Ardan
    Can you suggest a good tds meter ?

this is what I use
    http://www.hannainst.com/products/te...ProdCode=Primo
    pm RandalB

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=54001 check out his reply in this thread
    hth
    Ardan
    Last edited by Ardan; 10-22-2006 at 07:59 AM.