ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: AC 20 or AC 30?

Registered Member

Default AC 20 or AC 30?

I have a bunch of rams in a 55 gallon that I am trying to breed. They have been building nests but so far I haven't noticed any eggs. There are currently 4 females and 1 male in this tank.

The females all seem too busy chasing each other from their territory to actually breed. I have decided to place a male and a gravid female (they are all gravid btw) into a 10 gallon tank.

My problem is I have no filters for my 10 gallon tanks. I have decided on an AC 20 or AC 30 for the filter (I dislike sponge filters). I know the AC 20 is plenty powerful enough for a 10 gallon tank. But in looking at pictures an AC 20 appears to have a very small media compartment. I would like to add peat to the other media and it looks too small for this. Would an AC 30 be a better choice for me or is the AC 20 big enough?
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Default Re: AC 20 or AC 30?

Larry, I am not directly familiar with the AC range of filters, but I understand that the output can be throttled, given that is the case I would always go for the bigger filter, gives greater flexinbility, stability and you can't over filter imo. Just my tuppence worth.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

I would definitely get the 30. The compartment in the 20 IS really small. I have a heck of a time getting my hand in to clean the inside.. I have a 30 on my 20 and a 30 on my 10.
    Amber
    Proud single working mother of three.

I would go with the 30. If I remember correctly there is a sleeve that you can put carbon in and they sell a sponge that goes behind that. I would use the sleeve (witout the carbon), this will act as a pre-filter for the sponge insert.

hth,
    Tony

Registered Member

Thanks everyone! You confirmed what I suspected.

Paul,
    Yes they can be throttled down to 30% of maximum output, so I think an AC 30 will be OK too.

Tony and Amber,
    Thanks for your input. You both gave me valuable information.

btw I am going with the AC 30
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I would use the 30 with the foam insert and the Biomax.
    Debbie G.
    planted 150 gal Discus, planted 10 gal cherry shrimp tank, 29 gal. rasbora and danio tank, 29 gal Praecox rainbow planted tank and an empty 29.Hmmmm!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by wolfbane View Post
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Debbie now I have to look up what the heck "biomax" is... <grin>

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by wolfbane View Post
    Well that was cetainly easy, Big Al's has the biomax thingies. I already have some things called "mini bio-balls" that I think will work even better (they come pre-impregnated with nitrifying bacteria). But thank you Debbie! Hmmmm, should I order extra sponges though?

Larry, I do have a 20 on a 10 gal. tank with the sponge, peat and Purigen and it works okay, but I actually would like a bigger box to put the stuff in, so I'd use the 30 for the larger compartment and slow the flow. I have a 50 on my 20 gal., no problem.